cleaning experiments on eva

That was an idea I had considered at first, but it would circle back to a grind, where you run an experiment, then EVA out to reset it, then go back in to re-do it, and repeat over and over for infinite re-uses. In the end it just becomes a chore that you have to do.

Having the labs be able to reset experiments worked out better, because the labs themselves are large and have high resource and crew requirements, so that tends to balance out better, and it's possible to do it internally, which makes it more convenient too.

Cheers

as we all know EVA in game is not really used for anyything other than when landed.

i think that a (or mulitple) kebals on eva should be able to clean experiments. it would have to take a certain amount of time or maybe take more than one kerbal to do.

what do you guys think?

I EVA between command modules and landers for most lander missions, which is enough of a use of it for me!

as we all know EVA in game is not really used for anyything other than when landed.

i think that a (or mulitple) kebals on eva should be able to clean experiments. it would have to take a certain amount of time or maybe take more than one kerbal to do.

what do you guys think?

The problem is that you just replaced the important function of the lab with something quite a bit more portable.

On the other hand, version 0.23 did give EVA a new science related use that I think is almost OP. You can, while on EVA, remove the science from an experiment and store the results in the capsule, gaining you a full return value when the capsule is recovered. This means full return value for goo and mat-sci without having to bring the part itself back home. I'm throwing two mat-sci and two goo containers on transfer stages now, using one of each at high orbit at the destination, the other at low orbit, and then stuffing the results into the capsule before I ditch the transfer stage.

My first 0.23 Minmus mission got full return value for six materials science experiments and six goo experiments despite the fact that only the capsule and a parachute actually returned all the way to Kerbin. My first Mun mission is going to have full-return-value temperature/seismic/gravioli readings without having to place a part for every biome on the return craft. Trust me when I say that this can have a profound effect on how much you EVA :-)

This exactly. Minmus is nice too, as the Kerbal can make it roughly 8-9Km away and back on the EVA fuel, so you can fly back and forth collecting a lot of science from a few biomes, cram it all in and then fly the full ship bunny hopping around, only about 200dV to take off and land from end to end on the decent salt bed, so you could quite easily make it around on something, then go up into orbit, maybe even let that craft run out of fuel and just fly a new one up to pick the Kerbal, or even just get him to move all the science. Also adds alot to the rovers and such, depending on how you use it. Quite happy with it and the fact things have been nerfed a little, still able to get well over 1-2K science per mission after the first one or two, but that's if you just intentionally go as many places at once, setting missions out seperately and recues and such, allows for a much more progressive career, very keen for Krubal/Kuck/KBuck/Kbuks/Kerbal moneys/Kredits/whatever it'll be, maybe won't be allowed to just send up that big science bay to each planet to pretty well harvest the place dry :P Too early anyways, not enough money.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.