Mech Jeb. Does it only work with the specific pod?

MrUberGr

So, I have two parts already in space that I cannot dock. Then I found out that MechJeb could supposedly dock stuff automatically for you so I downloaded it. All I got is the pod with the rather annoying "eye". So, in order to use mech jeb you have to have the pod attached to the vessel, or is there some other way?

BTW I also have TAC fuel balancer and FlightEngineer.

There is also a part called AR202, which is a small box that you can stick to the side of your craft. I never use the pod myself, way to big. If you didn't get this AR202 part, I suggest you check your MJ folder to see if it's there. If it's not, you obviously need to reinstall MJ.

If you installed MJ and are playing in career mode, make sure you click the parts in the R&D screen. Otherwise they won't show up in the VAB.

Hope this helps.

As jwenting correctly stated: 'only the craft you're controlling needs to have MJ installed'

Select 'control here' on a docking port of your MJ equipped vessel and select the port on the other vessel as target. Activate auto-docking, sit back, relax and watch MechJeb totally screw up and waste tons of monoprop.

Auto-docking on mechJeb is, for the lack of a better word, CRAP! Yes, it does work but you can dock manually with just a fraction MechJeb uses. Best solution is to use MechJeb as an aid and perform the maneuver yourself. Select the ports as control and target, open smart A.S.S, select target and click Par-. This will hold both craft nicely aligned and facing each other. Switch to Chase view (toggle with [V]) and use tiny pulses with your RCS to slide your craft together.

Edited by Tex_NL

In Career mode you need to unlock a node further down the tech tree (remote control or something like that?) in order to unlock more MechJeb features.

Docking with MJ gobbles up RCS though.

Edited by TheAwer
Added clarification.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.