How to find the equator of a body?

So let's say I've gone to another heavenly body other than Kerbin, and I want to set my orbit to be exactly equatorial, or at least as close as my piloting skills will allow. How do I find it?

On Kerbin, I built a very stable and simple probe, then launched it due east while being very careful not to deviate north/south. This probe is now in a 200K orbit, and is the standard by which I judge equatorial orbits.

That won't work anywhere else because I can't start from a launch pad that is a known location.

From the map view, you can see the orbital path of the body traced out. The points that this line passes through the body (prograde and retrograde) will always be at the body's equator, since KSP doesn't model axial tilt of objects. This can give you two reference points with which to visually judge the equator.

Mechjeb can also help, as you can use the maneuver planner to generate a node to zero the inclination at the equatorial ascending or descending nodes.

KSP doesn't model axial tilt of objects.

That's interesting, definitely something I didn't know. It also greatly simplifies the problem.

Lining it up off the zoomed out map view might just get me there if I spend some time tweaking it. Makes me want to set up an equatorial reference probe on every place I go though. It's a lot of work to set it up, and I'd want to keep that for subsequent visits.

MechJeb just isn't for me. I'm not a Mod snob, but I just want to stay vanilla for now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.