Difficulty/Feature Selection

I have seen an increasing trend of people disagreeing as to how the Career mode should work. Some want a huge, realistic solar system, some want the easy-science back, etc... I think this will only get worse as Career mode evolves. A one-size fits-all method won't work, and simply slamming the door on those who are opposing the changes won't help and might even hurt the game's future. I think KSP needs a difficulty selection that allows the player to trim the game to his/her skill level/preferences. I am no game programmer, but it doesn't seem like it would be difficult. I don't mean as in changing the order of the bodies or something huge like that, but simply altering a few more minor things. Example: A player can, at the creation of a career mode save, choose whether they want infinite experiment uses or not. Or, a player could choose how tolerant the prestige/money system is (when that is implemented, of course). They might also be able to choose whether the solar system is the current size, or realistically sized, or maybe even easy-mode where the distances are shrunk even more. I just think this will open the career mode to all different types of players, instead of just being locked on one level. I know, this can be done by altering the game's files, but that can be difficult and even dangerous.

I've always wanted this sort of thing. It's really the best way to deal with features that not everyone will use - people who don't want to deal with reentry heat don't have to, and those who want the extra challenge can leave it on. Maybe even going so far as stuff like crash tolerances, or engine efficiency. I always loved how the Civilization games, for instance, had a HUGE list of options for new games. You don't have to touch them if you don't want to, but having them there really adds a lot for people that do want to use them.

Again, didn't see that. excuse my incompetence.

No. Nonononono. It's not on the "do not suggest list", and it's not in planned features (that I can see). I was saying, let's make it so the reason we shouldn't suggest it, is that it is a planned feature!

So, uhm, my bad. Ahem.

Another difficulty option you could consider: Easier means a weight reduction %

This makes launches, landings and handling easier. Also less fuel consumed. It covers quite a lot.

And it's quite easy to implement. Anywhere where the weight is read, there is a tiny bit of maths saying weight = %configvalue% * %difficulty% where normal == 1, easy == 0.75, super easy == 0.5.

Where did you people get the info difficulty selection is a planned feature? IT IS NOT! Dev's turned it down several times already.

Don't believe me? Check this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64669-Toggle-able-option-for-difficulty-a-Component-Failure-as-new-option It just got locked for the very same reason.

Where did you people get the info difficulty selection is a planned feature? IT IS NOT! Dev's turned it down several times already.

Don't believe me? Check this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64669-Toggle-able-option-for-difficulty-a-Component-Failure-as-new-option It just got locked for the very same reason.

That thread was closed because part failure was on the "do not suggest" list. The devs have stated that they will not have a single difficulty control, so that tends to be treated as being on the "do not suggest" list. The devs have said that they're considering certain features being individually disableable if implemented (reentry heat and life support, as I recall), which is probably where the idea that they'll have difficulty selection comes from.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.