Share your rockets

I give you... the hauler! Not an impressive name, but it sure is an impressive rocket! Able to reach speeds of 5180m/s, and the (last) rocket lasts until 700 km. Here's a video to show it to you.

I hope you enjoy this rocket :)

I'd like to present the S.S. Lowest Bidder. Failure rate: extremely high. Sometimes survivable if you jettison the first stage at the right moment of its wild spinning, then kick in the second burn as the module flips upright just above the ground.

emxNq.gif

My Single Stage to Orbit Launcher. (Kind of)

Rof0Ll.jpg

Has a core of 3 Liquid Rockets w/ 3 Tanks each. The outer jacket consists of 18 boosters. The only tricky period where there is a non 100% chance to survive is at the burn out of the first 9 boosters and thier seperation.

Can rather easily hit orbits up to 100km but beyond that you wont get enough lateral velocity and instead head on a slow escape trajectory.

Maximum speed this rocket has hit was 2600ish m/sec

RqZsMl.jpg

The Mini Dutchman.

The Mini is born from the Dutchman series of rockets, which have claimed many a Kerbal in thier quest for excessive thrust. The Mini however was only possible because of modded parts (The 1-5 Connector and 1-9 connectors.) and the new update that adds much better positioning of surface mounts.

3 Primary Stages. 21 Boosters in the first stage, 9 in the second, 3 in the third.

This is just a structural prototype for the Dutchman series using the new mountings to increase stability. It also should allow me to begin more serious efforts to construct the SUPER Dutchman.

(Hows 32 Boosters + 9 Triple Tanked Liquid rockets In the first stage sound? Its so big I have to fire the rockets as soon as it spawns otherwise it breaks the engine mounts for the 2nd stage and i have to feather the throttle before the 2nd stageing otherwise the thrust alone collapses fuel tanks in the 2nd stage, to hillarious effect.)

U0qWwl.jpg

The Dragon 4 Rocket. Utilizing the Single Stage to Orbit Launcher as a boost stage it has PLENTY of fuel left for orbital manuvers or escape velocity shots.

Thanks to symetry the prevously dead-ended Dragon 4 program now has a much more stable launcher.

Ladies and Gentlemen, in honor of Space Shuttle Atlantis, I decided to take on the most daring shuttle launch ever attempted.

As if launching one shuttle into low Earth orbit strapped to a giant rocket wasn't hard enough, I've decided to strap all three of them, Endeavour, Atlantis, and Discovery, to an even BIGGER rocket, to launch them all into orbit at once.

I dub it the Tri-Orbital Launching Platform Mk. II, or as I affectionately call it, 'Mega Shuttle Supreme'.

MSS01.jpg

Initial launch did not result in an explosion, so we're off to a good start. It actually performed better than expected.

MSS02.jpg

1st stage separation worked well, far better than the TOLP Mk. I, which was prone to explode by merely existing.

MSS04.jpg

Was able to make it to an acceptable altitude to perform the most crucial leg of the mission, the separation of the Shuttles.

Commencing in 3... 2...

MSS05.jpg

..1! They sure separated, but what can't be seen in this shot is the BREAK NECK SPEEDS AT WHICH THEY WERE SHOT OUT

I lost sight of them in a matter of seconds, I hoped for the best. It's at this point I would also like to note, and later redact from the records, that upon separation I noticed I did not provide the shuttles with rockets. God speed to those poor, brave Kerbals.

MSS06.jpg

No time to reflect on such matters, for now is the time to bring Jeb and crew safely back to the surface of their home planet. The final leg of the mission. Time to put those spot welds and duct tape fixings to the test.

MSS07.jpg

Now, one would normally attempt such a maneuver via a de-orbit sequence, but I opted for the straight forward FULL THROTTLE AT THE SURFACE approach.

MSS08.jpg

Parachutes engaged, aaand...

MSS09.jpg

TOUCHDOWN! With the landing vehicle mostly intact from the landing, I'd consider this a success.

Truly, a historic moment for science and all of Kerbal-kind.

MSS10.jpg

Bob never stopped screaming even after the landing, might have had something to do with the fact they pulled 56 Gees at some point, but what do I know. Leave that to the para-medics.

Nice launch but your velocity was nowhere near enough to put those shuttles into stable orbits.

The easy part is to get to 50km+ ('space')

The hard part is the 2200m/s+ horizontal velocity ;)

Hah, I have no doubt those shuttles met an unfortunate fate, what with the haphazard manner in which I shot them off (Nearly quadrupling in speed when I disengaged them, don't even know how that happened), and the fact I wasn't even in orbit.

I'm fairly certain I shot one directly back towards the planet, though oddly enough the final mission report didn't mention it or any of them as destroyed.

Thanks though, I'll attempt a serious redesign in the Mk. III to put them into actual orbits.

Mine is just a mostly standard design, but I did get some ridiculous speed off it. Here's the last minute or so of a video of it.

Also, love the clip of the SS Lowest Bidder, especially the shots of the pilot's expressions.

My delta IV gets escape velocity :D

EDIT: Rocket file attached

Doesn't work in 0.8.2 :( It just ends up shaking itself apart at about 6km up.

EDIT: Built the design from scratch in 0.8.2 - works fine now, but I don't think it hits escape velocity anymore.

So... You don't need a complicated rocket to reach a stable orbit.

recoverableSSTO-1.jpg

That is the only stage, nothing was jettisoned, not even SRBs. Well, there's a bug where it gets stuck on the pad so I added a decoupler to the bottom and left it on the pad. Plenty of fuel left to adjust orbits and deorbit, too.

Neptune MkI Very basic non moded design.

First Stage - 6 liquid rockets with 2 fuel tanks each

Second Stage - 6 Solid boosters

Third Stage - 1 liquid rocket with 3 fuel tanks

very successful, with stabilizers it self flies its self to a top speed of 3567 m/s (i let it fly all the way out to 79k km lol)

The last stage also is in perfect position for entering orbit at about 50km (not enough fuel to exit XD probably could add one more tank if need be)

This is my first successful rocket, its called the Lamplight Mk 1. It is my only ship to get past 100,000M. It got to about 700,000M before it got way to slow to get much farther. Right now I only have a picture of it in space, and im also flying the Lamplight Mk 2 which so far is much more successful.

2q81o3l.jpg

EDIT: My second ship just got past 1000K

5xpvrq.jpg

SSTO from stock parts: capsule, four liquid tanks, engine. Put a decoupler on the bottom to work around the sticking to pad bug. Surprisingly stable during ascent, plenty of fuel to reach low Kearth orbit, perform some orbital manoeuvres and deorbit safely.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.