Kaber Toss - See how far you can throw a stick!

The goal of the Kaber Toss challenge is to be the person to toss an I-Beam as far and as creatively as you can, whether it be through mass drivers, slings, catapults, or a good 'ol rocket.

Scoring system works like this, each meter is 1 point, and each additional I-Beam launch adds 1/4 of the original score, when launchnig more that one I-Beam, the multi-beam beam must stay in one piece, not break

Rule 1: Launcher must be manned, and kerbal must survive

Rule 2: Distance is measured in the central lines of the runway

Rule 3: The scoring distance is the distance between the point of separation and the I-Beams final resting point

Rule 4: I-Beam must never enter a stable orbit

Rule 5: At least 1 I-Beam must survive, for measuring purposes

First Place -

Second Place -

Third Place -

Resting Position

Resting_zps58ef3fd9.png

Halfway through

HalfwayThrough_zps08934c26.png

Point of separation

PointOfSeperation_zpsa24b4b88.png

Final Distance

distance_zps39ba23fb.png

Edited by shoveycat

Well I did something in the spirit of the competition, I suppose. Assuming I can't put boosters on the I-beam itself although there was no rule against that as far as I can tell. Also assume it has to remain intact, although that isn't stated either.

First shot, 1.5km. I have no idea how many lines that is.

R5PoQmR.png

crP7poQ.png

The off the runway thing was an enormous oversight on my part, once its off the runway, simply measure it in kilometers.

i should note that there is no rule against rockets, as long as you can tell the point of separation. I might also note that once you stop using balistic trajectories inside the atmosphere the concept of distance is kind of negligible, to, i add one more rule

The I-Beam must not enter a stable orbit

EDIT: One last thing, beam doesnt need to stay intact, as only a single beam is necessary. I also figure a point system would be an order, each meter is one point, and each extra I-Beam adds 1/4 of the original score. If you have any suggestions to improve it please say so.

Edited by shoveycat

2,421 Gigameters, about 2.4 light- hour

Point of separation is about 200km above Kerbin

Each of those lines on the runway is 50 meters in length (start of one line to the start of the next line), so my score is:

48,420,000,000 Units - 4000 Unites = 48,419,996,000 Units

Javascript is disabled. View full album

be assured that this does follow all the rules of the challenge:

- rockets are allowed

or a good 'ol rocket.

- It is manned and the kerbal does survive (in his capsule)

- It isn't a stable orbit, it's on escape trajectory

Edited by 1096bimu

In the example photo, it's not entirely clear what got launched either.

May I suggest a standardized projectile? There are three "I beam" parts and it looks as though you put a few together. maybe the single I-beam on the nose of the cockpit was the projectile but it's too hard to see if that's the case.

Perhaps clarify if the "launcher" itself is allowed to move, and if so if there are any restrictions on that movement (it's understood that this movement would not count towards the thrown distance)

So it has to be "manned" but does the kerbal/capsule have to be attached to the projectile in any way?

As the rules stand now, I also got ~1.5km (30 units) without really trying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0toXFjdeLQ4

=Smidge=

Is an escape trajectory not an orbit it the nest largest body? Besides, you're kind of avoiding the point of the challenge...

He kind of always does :), only way to stop him is consult an expensive lawyer and have him draw up an extensive rule set without loop-hole that'll stand up in court.

Is an escape trajectory not an orbit it the nest largest body? Besides, you're kind of avoiding the point of the challenge...

it is not a "STABLE" orbit

Rule 4: I-Beam must not enter a stable orbit

And like the challenge guideline states, it's stock only when unspecified.

Edited by 1096bimu

it is not a "STABLE" orbit

And like the challenge guideline states, it's stock only when unspecified.

It entered a stable orbit when it entered the sun's orbit. And before you play the "but it didn't" card, had you waited a little longer it would have.

Add, "Must NEVER enter a stable orbit," or something.

I can't get over 1.5km without the beam exploding. I launch at a 45 degree angle using a mainsail... If it goes much beyond that, it explodes on impact.

Haven't got it into the ocean yet.

It doesn't have to survive...Just has to go far.

At least a single I-Beam must survive, otherwise you dont know the distance

I'm having some problems measuring larger distances, would anyone have some ideas? There got to be some ways, I'm almost considering moving this to spacecraft exchange as "Show off your best stuff throwers"

By the way, thanks for all the feedback, guys! you know, there are other ways to launch things other than cannons, the objective is creativity, after all

Edit for Smidge: The launcher can, and is encouraged to move, by manned, i mean the base that is propelling the beam must have a kerbal that survives, and the projectile i launched in the screenshot were the long ski-like things

Edited by shoveycat

At least a single I-Beam must survive, otherwise you dont know the distance

I'm having some problems measuring larger distances, would anyone have some ideas? There got to be some ways, I'm almost considering moving this to spacecraft exchange as "Show off your best stuff throwers"

By the way, thanks for all the feedback, guys! you know, there are other ways to launch things other than cannons, the objective is creativity, after all

Edit for Smidge: The launcher can, and is encouraged to move, by manned, i mean the base that is propelling the beam must have a kerbal that survives, and the projectile i launched in the screenshot were the long ski-like things

Now if you would, put my perfectly qualified entry in the leader board.

I don't have time to do this but will give a survival suggestion. Probe core and parachute. After launch, switch to the beams. Deploy the parachutes as late as possible to maximize distance and survive landing?

Now if you would, put my perfectly qualified entry in the leader board.

Or as the game host decide that your conclusion wasn't within the implied spirit of the competition and.... Not.... Especially since you do not meet rule number 3.

Final resting point.

Measure it up when your beam comes to a rest?

I recommend for this rule that the Launch vehicle and any stagings cannot leave the runway area?

Reason I add the last is that I have made before an intercontinental unmanned craft that could theoretically survive the flight.

Edited by Markus Reese

I don't have time to do this but will give a survival suggestion. Probe core and parachute. After launch, switch to the beams. Deploy the parachutes as late as possible to maximize distance and survive landing?

Or as the game host decide that your conclusion wasn't within the implied spirit of the competition and.... Not.... Especially since you do not meet rule number 3.

Final resting point.

I recommend for this rule that the Launch vehicle cannot leave the runway area?

Hmm, survivability would be necessary for measuring distance, so illl make that a rule, but if the launcher cant leave the runway, that crosses out a whole myriad of possibilities, after all, the distance is measured AFTER it ejects from any thrust producing body

Edited by shoveycat

Final resting point.

I recommend for this rule that the Launch vehicle and any stagings cannot leave the runway area?

Reason I add the last is that I have made before an intercontinental unmanned craft that could theoretically survive the flight.

Except that it is within the spirit, whatever it is. Also it does not violate rule 3 because I decided to end it there. Or if you prefer a final resting point, you can give me infinite units as my score, I'll accept that as well.

Final resting point.

Ahh, true if it is relative distance and requiring a relative velocity of zero. If you try and get it up high then detach, you cannot switch unless you are in orbit. Not in orbit, no switch or launcher will not survive. So yup, stock then the game mechanics would not make a difference on the landing part.

At least it used to be that if two parachuting objects got too far apart, one would despawn? That would set maximum range of 2.3km with a mobile launcher. Fair enough. Hrm.... now I am thinking..... Question for the rules then. Can you launch powered if the powered section has no controlling unit or would that still be considered a launcher?

Question for the rules then. Can you launch powered if the powered section has no controlling unit or would that still be considered a launcher?

Launch however you want, but the score is the distance from the separation point of the thrust producing body and the final resting point of the pole.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.