The Kerbhound Challenge

The Kerbhound Challenge

This challenge is pretty simple: Build a car/rocket thing that can go the fastest!

A few rules:

1: The wheels must be touching the ground at all times.

2: Mods are allowed but no overpowered ones and no hyper edit. (Mechjeb is ok but I can't see why you would need it)

3. If you have tried something like this before you will know the length of the runway is usually not enough to get to you highest speed so you are allowed to go anywhere on the lightgreen are of the KSC.

4. The craft MUST be manned, External seats are ok.

5. Your kerbal can't die. ;)

6. No glitch/bug exploits (no infin glide but DOWNFORCE wings are fine)

7. Staging is fine but you can't ditch tanks

Please add a photo of vehicle and a photo of the end f 3 results and also the name of your car!

My try:

2h3a8ox.png

Not bad but I think i can do better... 354 m/s if you can't tell

Scores:

Without FAR, stock:

1. Octobomb 417m/s

2. Tarsus 426m/s

3. ~~~

Without FAR, modded:

1. ~~~

2. ~~~

3. ~~~

With FAR:

1. ~~~

2. ~~~

3. ~~~

Edited by montyben101

The ksp land speed record is around 1100-1200m/s, acheived on the flats of minmus. At Kerbin sea level I will be pleased if I can break the speed of sound. Note: For the same of your challenge, I recommend mods/stock leaderboards, no glitch/bug exploits (I.e. no infinigliders) and the ability to refuse to accept any entry you deem unsuitable. But hey, I'll have a go!

Edit: Does it have to be manned? Are seats ok? Are we allowed to stage?

Edit edit: Just got to 412m/s! Go me!

Edited by Octobomb

17taPYZ,8q4KMnR,0PAUPSj

The Thrusthound. It would have stopped, but then I ran out of runway. Nevertheless, the pilot survived. If I could find a couple hundred metres more flat I could break ~430m/s before fuel ran out. It doesn't need all the engines (each pod adds like 3m/s to the end speed after the first 3), but I like it. Expect a much more tounge-in-cheek entry in a bit :sticktongue:.

Sigh, IMGUR y u h8te me?

http://imgur.com/17taPYZ,8q4KMnR,0PAUPSj

http://imgur.com/17taPYZ,8q4KMnR,0PAUPSj#1

http://imgur.com/17taPYZ,8q4KMnR,0PAUPSj#2

EDIT: I won't provide pictures. Instead, guess how I did it. 2123m/s. Bear in mind this entry entry follows the rules to the letter - especially the fact that no wheel leaves the ground at any point.

Edited by Octobomb

EDIT: I won't provide pictures. Instead, guess how I did it. 2123m/s. Bear in mind this entry entry follows the rules to the letter - especially the fact that no wheel leaves the ground at any point.
1: The wheels must be touching the ground at all times.

7. Staging is fine but you can't ditch tanks

You just made me laugh for five minutes straight. :D

Edited by Kasuha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.