Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

After releasing my (final) B-17 update (unless issues crop up again) I plan to continue releasing the airliners I made months ago.. and start a company. At least.

I need moar ideas.

http://i.imgur.com/JPdkUGq.png

After having played War Thunder so much, seeing a B-17 is a little emotionally damaging. :P However, great work man! She looks great.

As for ideas, what about something a bit less conventional: the Sukhoi-Gulfstream S-21.

s-21_04-jpg.22662

It has a bit of a different shape compared to most airliners, but a lot of the parts look like they could be well replicated within KSP.

After having played War Thunder so much, seeing a B-17 is a little emotionally damaging. :P However, great work man! She looks great.

As for ideas, what about something a bit less conventional: the Sukhoi-Gulfstream S-21.

http://www.rcpowers.com/community/attachments/s-21_04-jpg.22662/

It has a bit of a different shape compared to most airliners, but a lot of the parts look like they could be well replicated within KSP.

Ooh, yes, yes they do! :D

Looks cool SXR, may I suggest using liquid fuel fuselages instead of the 1.25m fuel tanks? and instead of the 2.5m one, Put a liquid fuel fuselage with more ones radially attatched to it, and put the nerva on the middle one, if you're going full aesthetics which I presume you are, then put some slanted nose cones on the bottom of the radial ones.

http://www.rcpowers.com/community/attachments/s-21_04-jpg.22662/

Here the su-21 gulfstream it's not a perfect replica but it s a pleasure for the eyes

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Voyager instrumentation arm is on track to be finished tomorrow, meanwhile, i've gotten 3 of the instruments on it done, and I've changed some of the RTG boom side as well. Then to improve the RCS/Propulsion system, and then onto the Titan III Centaur.Muw2ZsU.png

The Mark IV Tank is being... difficult. I [roved that it can, in fact, move, even with its wheels clipped inside the plates used for pretend tracks. Unfortunately, the tank's sides still look like they belong in a shantytown, and parts of the tank randomly fall off or crash into the runway.

xfTyR3U.jpg

To test the tank's ability to cover rough terrain, I destroyed a segment of the runway. This is the tank after driving along the flat portion of the runway for a short distance. :P

xJo24ha.png

Ouch, that had to hurt. There is a full crew of five inside that tank, driver, commander, two main gunners, and a rear machine gunner, who, by the look of that smoke, just got decapitated or something by a plate of metal falling off. This isn't going to work.

n1aDWWJ.png

Good grief, it's terrifying! If the British had these garbage bin tanks at the Somme, the war would have been over then and there!

AmRHE2Q.jpg

About halfway through the test, something fell off, crashed into the tank, which spun around and the front armor plate fell off. By this time the machine gunner and one of the main gunners had been violently ejected from the gaping hole at the back of the tank. The commander and driver were also knocked out of their seats, but didn't go flying several meters into the air. :P

I think I need moar struts. Once CommanderSpock (or anyone else) gets back with me on what he recommends for the sides, I'll redo those and strut the hell out of them.

I1zJ8AG.png

The driver and commander seats up front.

0Y0N9Mq.png

The two main gunners and the engine, the camera is looking aft.

aJmsZcH.png

The rear machine gunner has a little pit in the back behind the engine.

The real Mark IV tank had eight crew members, but I couldn't find anywhere to put them! I respect the people who had to sit in these things and drive them around all day. Takes guts...

Who knew that replicating the Lancaster's nose would've been so difficult?!

It's already 100+ parts!

http://i.imgur.com/2pgykWE.jpg

All those steel plates as windows: Don't do it. Much too heavy and if placed frontal, lotsa drag! Stick to structural intakes for a basic frame, use struts for the rest. If you don't have an empty space behind it for a cockpit, do as selfish_meme instead and use OX-STAT solar panels.

Yeah, the Wellington was going along quite nicely until I started on the Cockpit and ball turrets, now its 380 odd parts, good a lot of them are physicsless.

http://i.imgur.com/Doda8z6.png

Physicsless parts ... I thought they were all gone in 1.o.4?

All those steel plates as windows: Don't do it. Much too heavy and if placed frontal, lotsa drag! Stick to structural intakes for a basic frame, use struts for the rest. If you don't have an empty space behind it for a cockpit, do as selfish_meme instead and use OX-STAT solar panels.

Physicsless parts ... I thought they were all gone in 1.o.4?

As far as I know, things like the OX-STAT are essentially physicsless, in that their mass and drag are added to the parent part and no physics is run on them, just the parent.

All those steel plates as windows: Don't do it. Much too heavy and if placed frontal, lotsa drag!

Why not? Honestly, I'm going for aesthetics in this one. If I used solar panels.. I'd heighten the part count too much! And even so, solar panels don't fit it as well as plates do, and the solar panels still need somewhere to attach.

Stick to structural intakes for a basic frame, use struts for the rest.

What do you mean? How would I use structural intakes for a fuselage? If I did, it's only going to be unnecessary parts.

If you don't have an empty space behind it for a cockpit, do as selfish_meme instead and use OX-STAT solar panels.

Wouldn't that only increase the horrid part count and make it look messier?

Sorry if I'm a little snarky in this one.

Almost finished!

DKlPbHH.jpg