[WIP] Science Parts - Multi-Lense Camera Array - Science Drill [08-03-14]

Yorik

This is the test threat for my next release. Currently there are 3 parts in testing:

wC5ACVe.png

dfvNpcL.png

New: Multi-Lense Camera Array - Take thousands of high-def pictures at different wavelengths in mere seconds. Great at analyzing biomes from low orbit. Can also be used to take more general surveys from higher orbits.

2.5 m materials bay - works exactly as the normal materials bay, but fits on 2.5 m rockets

Radial core sample drill - This works while the ship is landed and drills into the planet to retrieve a core sample. Currently it gives the same amount of science as a surface sample. It comes with it's own science descriptions and grants you additional science points. Any ideas how to tweak that value would be appreciated. Same goes for weight and where to place it in the tech tree. Note: The drill is reusable, so you can use it to prospect several biomes without having to haul several drills at once.

If you like the parts, please give me feedback. The current placement of the parts in the tech tree is still very WIP, as are the science values and the weight. Love me some feedback.

Here's the link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/6d16jpngjyd4uma/PlaCoSciencev3.rar?dl=1&token_hash=AAETMktTIqyV4bD3YNreOZPoUjXHZgjC8SD9EtttIWP63Q

Edited by Yorik

Any chance of making a 0.625m materials bay? Maybe make it longer, but skinnier, than the stock one? That's the ONE part I hate the most in it's stock format, and I haven't found any really good way to carry multiples other than in an inline configuration... which is a pain for rough terrain landings.

That's why I made the 2.5 m variant. They stack quite nicely, but you need a bigger lander. I'm also thinking about making a goo container that has the same dimensions as the parachute for the 2.5m capsule(the big chute/drag chute).

Edited by Yorik

Yes, that's correct. There hasn't been much progress on that mod.

But I thought that it would be a shame not to use the model at all.

Well put.

The tech requirement for the drill is basic rocketry. Seeing as it's purpose is for proves to be able take surface samples, perhaps it would be better to introduce it at the same level as some of the probe bodies? Just a thought.

It doesn't take surface samples. It takes core samples, which can be taken while landed, yes, but they are distinct from surface samples. I even wrote new science texts for all the biomes.

Edited by Yorik

It doesn't take surface samples. It takes core samples, which can be taken while landed, yes, but they are distinct from surface samples. I even wrote new science texts for all the biomes.

Dear god I am so sorry!

I was unaware. I was under the impression this was for unmanned surface samples.

My humble apologies good sir.

Thank you very much, I'll fix that for the next release.

And yes, that drill was originally designed for another mod. Since that mod has gone nowhere, I started using the parts for other things. No idea where to go with this though:

LC8xgFd.png?1

ZBAE2EE.png?1

It was supposed to be the construction part for the orbital construction mod, but now... no idea. Some sort of atmospheric scanner maybe?

Thank you very much, I'll fix that for the next release.

And yes, that drill was originally designed for another mod. Since that mod has gone nowhere, I started using the parts for other things. No idea where to go with this though:

http://i.imgur.com/LC8xgFd.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/ZBAE2EE.png?1

It was supposed to be the construction part for the orbital construction mod, but now... no idea. Some sort of atmospheric scanner maybe?

scanner, sat-dish, drying rack?

Maybe you could use that as some kind of solar plasma, or dust collection apparatus. Say that it generates magnetic fields to guide particles down to the center for collection (sort of like the magnetic scoop for the Bussard ramjet mod). It might also be used as a sort of advanced atmospheric scoop.

I have just the use for it: solar particle collector/analyzer. you deploy it and it generates a magnetic field that "steers" particles into the central sensor/collector. stick it onto a satellite to generate SCIENCE!

or... maybe a comms antenna, stick it on the end of a telescoping mast at your base and it swivels to point at a target you tell it to.

also, could be part of an emergency "faraday shield" deployed by your vessel during solar storms. use any or none of these ideas as you see fit, i hereby relinquish any and all claim to them and place them in the public domain for use by all.

Edited by dacamp66

I should not have posted those pics, now I'm busy refining the model, and I still have no idea what it's going to be :cool:

Right now I'm going for drying rack...

http://youtu.be/FzpZVMTFR_k

for some reason i keep thinking teleporter but it would be safe to just use it as a antenna for now or have it soon used as a theoretical form of thruster

I don't know what it would take to do this but you can scale it down and make the first ever Ion powered RCS Thruster lol. The second option would be to scale it bigger and have it be a death ray generator :P.

Or...make it an antenna. Personally I would do the RCS Thruster just to see how it turns out.

For the radial drill, do you happen to know the name you used for the head transform and the cannister transform? I'm trying to modify it to drill for Ore (EPL) in addition to its usual function, but to do so I need to know the names of those 2.

• 4 weeks later...
Sadly, I'm no plugin developer. I only make models, so I can't for example make "some kind of solar plasma, or dust collection apparatus".

But if you can make new science categories, like you cloned surface -> core, can't you make "space dust analysis in space near Kerbin" as a clone of, for example, "goo observation in space near Kerbin"? Inside the atmosphere it should return something like "too dense" and negible amount of science.

v3 release: New science part(Multi-Lense Camera Array), some minor bug fixes & corrected typos, slightly adjusted science values.

The name of the head transform is Cube.009 and I don't understand what cannister transform refers to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.