Hercules, Titan and Hypatos PlanetFactory:CE Systems(With Rings!)

Yaeah

you have to install the planet factory creator's edition first, put that into game data, then download these planets and put them into PlanetFactory folder in game data. If you want to play with these systems and not Sentar Expansion, deactivate Sentar system on ksp loading page. You may have memory issues if you're using a lot of mods. -hope this helps:P

This looks totally awesome! I want to try it out, but I've never used any mod quite like this and I'm a bit nervous about messing up my game. Are there any special instructions for installation, or do you just extract right into "GameData" and that's it?

Ok, first thing is first, you need Kragethea's Planetfactory:creator's edition, and Clouds&Cities mod(this isn't necessary, but I used it to make atmospheric glow and rings, so I recommend it) and they both seperately go into Gamedata in your KSP directory. Now, say you want one of my systems. Go hit the download link on one of your choice, and You should open it to see the system name, open one folder deeper and you find gamedata. just copy and paste that into your KSP gamedata, and when it says overwrite for BoulderCo,(clouds mod) click all yes. I recommend you create a separate save file so you dot mess up your previous saves, but enabling the system is pretty straight forward. You will get a little box at the top left of you screen with system names, uncheck all but mine. That should be it! PM if you need more help.

I thought i'd just quickly try your pack out (all three systems together)...

it turned out to be a 6+ hour gaming session.

I planned dropping a small ~200kg unmanned lander on Lynx(? the moon with atmosphere. I hoped to see some small seas, like the ones on the RL Titan), it was fun, and i decided to use the ~2000m/s remaining delta-v (RTG Powered probe with an Ion engine) in the main probe to tour the other planets/moons in your pack. I visited Jool (+ Tylo flyby) Hercules, Titan, Hypatos (+Vela Flyby) and had 5 other Moon(Only moons you created) flybys in total. That probe spent so much time in space, the timer was showing me a negative number (guess the timer got to its bit-limit).

VB6gbw6.png?1

Here's a picture for you of my probe on its way to the Vela-Flyby. You can see all the celestial bodies you created on this image (except Titan, it should be somewhere left). Those two big bright stars left and right of Vela are Jool(left) and Hercules :) ("Distant Object Enhancement" Mod)

First time in month since i had so much fun in KSP.

Most. Favourite. Planet Pack. Ever.

Edited by Taribu

I thought i'd just quickly try your pack out (all three systems together)...

it turned out to be a 6+ hour gaming session.

I planned dropping a small ~200kg unmanned lander on Lynx(? the moon with atmosphere. I hoped to see some small seas, like the ones on the RL Titan), it was fun, and i decided to use the ~2000m/s remaining delta-v (RTG Powered probe with an Ion engine) in the main probe to tour the other planets/moons in your pack. I visited Jool (+ Tylo flyby) Hercules, Titan, Hypatos (+Vela Flyby) and had 5 other Moon(Only moons you created) flybys in total. That probe spent so much time in space, the timer was showing me a negative number (guess the timer got to its bit-limit).

http://i.imgur.com/VB6gbw6.png?1

Here's a picture for you of my probe on its way to the Vela-Flyby. You can see all the celestial bodies you created on this image (except Titan, it should be somewhere left). Those two big bright stars left and right of Vela are Jool(left) and Hercules :) ("Distant Object Enhancement" Mod)

First time in month since i had so much fun in KSP.

Most. Favourite. Planet Pack. Ever.

Im glad you had fun with my pack, this means a lot to me:)

The Feeling is mutual! :D

Edited by Yaeah

Awesome mod, I just spent an hour or so flying about with a hyperedited vessel, and am very glad I decided to download this! I held on the Urania pack, as it's a bit silly, what with all the moons of moons and wonky inclinations, but I really appreciate the realistic style. It also helped fill back out the empty outer solar system that the Alternis pack left me with. Also, the Titan system is absolutely gorgeous!

A couple bugs I did notice:

-The periods of rotation seem to be off for some of the bodies, I didn't extensively check, but it might be worth looking into.

-The 0 datum is too high on Miranda. When I was flying around the big crater, the sceen just went black at ~1km radar altitude. Said I was below 0 global altitude.

-Hercules is greenish. Did Krag ever make it so that you can change atmosphere color? Titan doesn't seem to have the same problem, even though the icon suggests it's from a Jool template too.

I've been meaning to get in on the Planet factory CE fun and make my own, but I've been too busy lately. However, if you want a suggestion or two for your next system, I was thinking of making a Hot Jupiter with a moon like the deadly old Moho, or a ~4 to 10 mass super-Kerbin, (all water, no land) with a severely glaciated moon (google snowball earth), maybe 2/3 kerbin gee, 1/2 atmosphere?

Fz5jruo.jpg

Dangit. Tried getting it to work earlier, but my game keeps freezing while loading the cloud layer for Kerbin whenever I try to use PlanetFactory of any kind. Weirdly enough the city lights and clouds mod gives me no other trouble on its own, and is running fine with just the stock planets in-game.

you are probably reaching the 3.5Gb memory limit. Do you use mods? Remember, b9 aerospace, kw rocketry and ksp interstellar are very large packs and even with texture reduction, may still cause issues. But a few small ones shouldn't do much harm. If you can't live without one of those packs, try loading stock game, go to settings (graphics) and set to half resolution. That made life so much easier for me. Also, there are some packs you can replace those mods with. For ex: b9 can be replaced with LLL pack, kw with AIES aerospace and so on. Hope this helped.:P

Very interesting planetary addon-pack. Resembling the outer Solar System but with a nice KSP-twist, especially Lynx looks fascinating with its appearance and parameters (excellent environment for anything with wings) ... !

Edit: see if I can cram all addon-packs into my KSP-folder without memory issues : p

you are probably reaching the 3.5Gb memory limit. Do you use mods? Remember, b9 aerospace, kw rocketry and ksp interstellar are very large packs and even with texture reduction, may still cause issues. But a few small ones shouldn't do much harm. If you can't live without one of those packs, try loading stock game, go to settings (graphics) and set to half resolution. That made life so much easier for me. Also, there are some packs you can replace those mods with. For ex: b9 can be replaced with LLL pack, kw with AIES aerospace and so on. Hope this helped.:P

Hmm, true enough. I just went in and gutted B9, don't really need most of it since i have KSO, as well as FusTek since I mainly do career mode. Let's see if that does the trick.

Awesome mod, I just spent an hour or so flying about with a hyperedited vessel, and am very glad I decided to download this! I held on the Urania pack, as it's a bit silly, what with all the moons of moons and wonky inclinations, but I really appreciate the realistic style. It also helped fill back out the empty outer solar system that the Alternis pack left me with. Also, the Titan system is absolutely gorgeous!

A couple bugs I did notice:

-The periods of rotation seem to be off for some of the bodies, I didn't extensively check, but it might be worth looking into.

-The 0 datum is too high on Miranda. When I was flying around the big crater, the sceen just went black at ~1km radar altitude. Said I was below 0 global altitude.

-Hercules is greenish. Did Krag ever make it so that you can change atmosphere color? Titan doesn't seem to have the same problem, even though the icon suggests it's from a Jool template too.

I've been meaning to get in on the Planet factory CE fun and make my own, but I've been too busy lately. However, if you want a suggestion or two for your next system, I was thinking of making a Hot Jupiter with a moon like the deadly old Moho, or a ~4 to 10 mass super-Kerbin, (all water, no land) with a severely glaciated moon (google snowball earth), maybe 2/3 kerbin gee, 1/2 atmosphere?

http://i.imgur.com/Fz5jruo.jpg

You have an older version, find my change log on the OP. I have fixed most of these, except the green haze on Hercules. As far as I know, I cannot fix this, but I will test!

Rotation speeds are kind of random at the moment, I will fix this later.

Oh, and about the next system, I already have a project running: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70743-Sol-Project

Edited by Yaeah

Awesome looking pack, using Titan as Neptune and Hercules as Saturn. But is there a way to stop all the lag the rings make at a moderate zoom? In the tracking center my game hits massive lag spikes if I look at Hercules from a reasonable distance. Waiting for FAR compatibility on planetfactory first though... the wait is torturing...

Awesome looking pack, using Titan as Neptune and Hercules as Saturn. But is there a way to stop all the lag the rings make at a moderate zoom? In the tracking center my game hits massive lag spikes if I look at Hercules from a reasonable distance. Waiting for FAR compatibility on planetfactory first though... the wait is torturing...

The lag is probably happening if you have the texture compressor, it creates mipmaps that increase quality as you get nearer. I get this lag too, but It doesnt really happen in game.

So I messed around with Lynx for quite some time, and it doesn't have an atmosphere. That would explain the FAR glitch. Eventually, I found that the atmosphere would work if I made the reference body that of one with an atmosphere, unfortunately that causes it to be insanely big from far away because of a false surface. But once you get beneath it, you can see the normal planet. Duna as a base screws up Lynx's appearance royally. Any idea why it doesn't have an atmosphere?

So I messed around with Lynx for quite some time, and it doesn't have an atmosphere. That would explain the FAR glitch. Eventually, I found that the atmosphere would work if I made the reference body that of one with an atmosphere, unfortunately that causes it to be insanely big from far away because of a false surface. But once you get beneath it, you can see the normal planet. Duna as a base screws up Lynx's appearance royally. Any idea why it doesn't have an atmosphere?

I don't know why it wouldn't have an atmosphere, did you change any values inside the .cfg? The false surface happens becuase each plant is created upon templates, and I believe Lynx has Minmus, but when you set it to another planet the scaled space mesh created from Minmus gets messed up and create a "false surface", or a bad mesh.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Yaeah

Does the sky appear black when on the lit surface of Lynx? Would be neat to see a totally overcast sky when looking up, like on Eve ... !

at the moment, yes. Im working on it, and an update may be up by tomorrow.

Edited by Yaeah

No, and I was running an almost-stock save. (kept a few part packs that'd be hard to find again) So ya... maybe I just got a dud download. But I didn't see anything in the planet cfg itself that'd prevent it from having at atmo. Also... the clouds part way too soon for my tastes. Make them more gradual? Oceans? Not being able to see much more than the sun and Hercules from the surface? Explosive bananas? Just ideas. And I think a small, realistic comet would be a really cool addition. Insanely low gravity and deformed and whatnot. Give you mad amounts of science if you chose to land on it? Perihelion somewhere between Moho and ablate? Apo being way way far out?

No, and I was running an almost-stock save. (kept a few part packs that'd be hard to find again) So ya... maybe I just got a dud download. But I didn't see anything in the planet cfg itself that'd prevent it from having at atmo. Also... the clouds part way too soon for my tastes. Make them more gradual? Oceans? Not being able to see much more than the sun and Hercules from the surface? Explosive bananas? Just ideas. And I think a small, realistic comet would be a really cool addition. Insanely low gravity and deformed and whatnot. Give you mad amounts of science if you chose to land on it? Perihelion somewhere between Moho and ablate? Apo being way way far out?

read my last two posts.

Herp :3 don't mind my obliviousness. And I feel like I should REALLY stop spamming your forum page, but I have one final request (although I could probably add this myself) EL/Kethane maps specific to each planet? Or frequencies rather, but still. KSPI resources? Or does that come with the templates, stealing the resources from its base? And thanks for all the help and making this great-looking planet pack.

How exactly did you get an atmosphere to work on a template planet that doesn't normally have an atmosphere?

In much the same way you made a planet with a template off Minmus that has an atmosphere, I'm trying to give a planet with a template off Pol an atmosphere and it's not working.

Are there any secrets I should know?

Thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.