Jeb Retires! (Career Total Conversion) [PIC HEAVY!] - DISCONTINUED!

Taki117

What Should I Name My New Space Planes?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What Should I Name My New Space Planes?

• Historically Accurate (Enterprise, Endeavor, Columbia)
    • Sci-fi esque (Serenity, Firefly, Nostromo)
    • Something else (Leave A comment)

So I've discovered a bug with KAS in which I've run into the problem of the strut end points floating away (And I have no idea why) So I'm thinking of abandoning that project for a little bit, until I can get better docking ports (I have some modded Sr. ports next tier) and just starting the project all over again. But that's for another time.

What's this?! A rocket we've already seen before? Impossibru!

GIfwSoG.png

In the quest for ever more science it was decided to attempt a Minmus Apollo Style mission with the rocket that had gotten Neilbury to the Mun. This time though, it would also be a test of the new Automatic Ascent and Landing Software! (I finally unlocked it the last mission and hadn't tried it out yet.) Once the crew was aboard the access ramp was retracted. (I'm thinking about reducing the decoupler force to 0 as it has a tendency to push my rockets over just a little)

mGLQPXX.png

Once the autopilot had been set up and verified operational the crew ignited the engines and released the launch clamps, ascending on a plume of fire.

FZ0PQBF.png

The autopilot did an amazing job guiding the rocket, unfortunately a programming mishap caused the crew to have to manually jettison the LES and boosters. It is suspected that this was caused by the way the LES works.

SJ2D4fn.png

The rest of the launch however went perfectly smoothly as the crew were soon in orbit.

gluTfg9.png

The Autopilot system, affectionately known as MechJeb, took care of the transfer to Minmus as well.

xIR9fq3.png

Once safely away and in deep space the CSM was separated from the LM and the CSM then docked with the LM, it would stay in this configuration until the ship had entered the Sphere of Influence of Minmus.

rJLBy1b.png

4OwisQf.png

Ql9XDpd.png

This was taken later in the mission to illustrate that they had i nfact stayed in the appropriate configuration.

C5Q3LMm.png

Upon crossing the SoI boundary a small course correction was made to place the resulting debris on a collision course with the planet. This maneuver was done manually.

WV2K9Rg.png

XDsOcrX.png

RIiE3t4.png

(On a side note I really like the sound of the 2.5m KW decoupler)

Another manual course correction was made before the ship was set to circularize the orbit at Periapsis.

0v9TLPN.png

It's at this point Neilbury got the strangest sense of Deja Vu, specifically when the lander had run out of power during the docking procedure due to a lack of solar panels. Not wanting to go through that again he decided to scrub the mission and he began the long journey home.

VuFgnDO.png

wecQEev.png

Once again the lander and Service Module were jettisoned upon hitting the uppermost atmosphere they would burn up or crash into the surface.

j7VBpSd.png

At 36km the reentry flames began to lick the capsule and at 25km they were in full force.

oOHttQN.png

gLUWdRJ.png

At 10km the parachutes were deployed in reefed condition, with the capsule touching down shortly thereafter under full chute.

NTc7LxZ.png

(I forgot to take a pic of the touchdown and resulting science gain)

Neilbury made a quick note on his pad to install solar panels on the lander before the next launch. He also made a note to fill in the gaps in the communications network. (The good news is none of them have moved.

Edited by Taki117

Well that sucks, I really wanted to see that mission coming to fruition. Apparently your not the only one though, a few people have been having froblems with the KAS struts that I have heard.

Looking forward to the next instalment. ^_^

The plan was to assemble everything in orbit and then a day or so before the launch window send up the crew and living module and head for Duna, so you not actually missing anything. I'm also waiting on RealChute By Stupid_Chris to get upgraded before adding anything that requires parachutes.

Edited by Taki117

"We're going interplanetary!" Neilbury announces to his crew one clear morning. Stunned with the ambition a young Kerbal raises his hand. "We've already nearly completed construction on the ARC Apollo. What more is there?" For those of you who don't know the ARC Apollo is designed to be a multi-purpose interplanetary vessel, capable of switching drive sections to match the needs of the mission. Neilbury smiled and uttered one word. "Eve." Eyes widened as minds raced over the prospect of going to this strange and differently colored world. "Specifically we're going to land a probe on it." he continued despite the buzz of excitement that had grown. "We're going to need better communication satellites, and to patch the holes in our network. !" someone exclaimed. Neilbury just smiled and nodded. "Make it so!"

Soon enough a new rocket was sitting on the launch pad.

Fhs6C7x.png

"Alright boys, we've done this before, no screw ups!"

LIFTOFF! The rocket climbs slowly skyward powered by twin SRBs.

QmPv6vl.png

Once the SRBs have burnt out they are jettisoned and the center engine ignited.

76zzgal.png

The question still remains, what is in that large fairing?

eMGqf4W.png

Once the lifter stage has jettisoned the Orbital Insertion stage ignites and pushes the craft into LKO. Shortly after the Fairing is jettisoned and necessary equipment deployed. After Achieving a LKO the insertion stage is jettisoned and deorbited.

mHhk89V.png

vVUCcia.png

7y9U53j.png

"What are those glowing red things on the side? They can't be solar panels?" And you are right, they are not solar panels. This is the first Nuclear Powered Satellite in Kerbin Orbit. It will run for years before needing to be decommissioned. (Probably by vaporization)

GEzsAAU.png

An orbit was planned that had a 12 hour orbital period, here is the first half of the Hohmann Transfer

39uaXW1.png

And the second half.

2ndlsF8.png

After the Maneuver was complete the Satellite was reoriented to face towards the heavens.

8vUepBX.png

This would be repeated 3 more times to get four satellites in orbit in a roughly square pattern (I won't bore you with those launches, mostly because I haven't done them yet)

Edited by Taki117

Hate to be that guy, but where did you get those launch clamps and towers from?

You're not the first, and it's one of the few mods I actually know where the parts come from because I downloaded it specifically for the launch clamps.

they are from FASA They make good stuff.

I'm now using an older version of it because it added new parts that I really don't need, (Namely more engines, fueltanks, and the LEM) and they changed the launch tower (The one with the crew boarding ramp) a tad.

"I found it!" came a cry from the far corner of the Vehicle Assembly building. What the young Kerbal had found was an old, unused rocket, from the first days of the program. Neilbury rushed over and smiled. "Fuel it up and let's get it into orbit!" he said smiling up at the vehicle.

Soon enough it was on the pad, waiting for the launch order.

riJh2JS.png

As the counter ticked down the ground crew waited with bated breath. The payload had the standard programming upgrades, but beyond that nothing else was done. At zero the engines fired and the rocket soared skywards.

AroUCTz.png

The solid rocket boosters burned out, but did not immediately jettison. "Main bus undervolt! WE have a main bus undervolt!" came a shout from somewhere in the control room. "Manual override. We need to drop that weight!" Neilbury shouted back almost instinctively. No sooner had he spoken than the boosters fell away The problem would have to be looked into, but there was nothing they could do about it now.

dc8p5vb.png

(Turns out I had forgotten to activate Autostage in Mechjeb)

With the new autopilot software there was enough fuel in the lifter stage to almost complete circularization. Fortunately there was not (Or a debris clearing mission would have to be launched) and it separated and fell back to Kerbin. At the same time the Orbital Insertion stage and the Payload Fairings were jettisoned.

r6u8PU9.png

2tAzzAl.png

Immediately after the communications equipment on the satellite was deployed and activated.

Y1uaPMf.png

The Satellite boosted itself into the proper orbit to fall right into formation with the other satellites in orbit. This mission would be repeated once more to complete the constellation.

xopGPGf.png

Edited by Taki117

Awesome! Loving the lore you created, very Kerbal indeed!

Thanks for the support. This project started out as an "I wonder if..." and has become this. I'm also restricting myself to not using Procedural Fairings (Hence why the Dune Drive Section was launched as it was, that was a pain) I'm waiting on a mod update of one of my favorite mods before I do any more missions that require parachutes, though I still might do Gemini. I'm actually kinda nervous about my Eve probe because it's powered by 4 reactors and electric generators, I just wish I had packed more Goo and Material bays on it...I burned my one going around the sun...

Oh well, live and learn. If there is anything specific you would like to see feel free to ask. (Though I make no promises due to the limitations I have set myself)

Neilbury smiles as he walks once again into the hanger. "These last few launches were only the beginning. Today we go to Eve!" he shouts as the gathered Kerbals cheer. he laid out the plans and the eager Kerbals got immediately to work.

This would be by far the largest rocket yet, and with good reason. The payload would be landing on one of the most inhospitable places known to Kerbal kind. The planet Eve.

WW7oHdV.png

"This is it people, we're going to another planet!"

Once the timer hit zero the launch clamps released and the rocket shot skyward powered by two solid rocket boosters.

Nwz7gcB.png

As the rocket climbed ever higher the pitch and roll program began to execute, placing it on the proper heading.

xf9IMR0.png

Once they had burned out the Solid Rocket Boosters were separated and the center lifter engine ignited.

Vi01fLw.png

The rocket continued to climb, soaring ever higher into the heavens.

kNd8W9d.png

Mission parameters dictated that it would hold at 80km while the appropriate communication equipment was redirected to maintain communication with mission control.

There was enough fuel in the lifter stage to begin circularizing.

SplXmK6.png

Once the lifter stage had been exhausted it was jettisoned, along with the payload fairings. Shortly thereafter the communications arrays and thermal radiators were deployed.

dWFklpg.png

auN4BX3.png

Once everything had been verified operational and communications redirected the interplanetary burn was executed, carrying the probe out almost to the orbit of Moho in order to intercept Eve in about 42 days.

1tL3lo0.png

FDID5vB.png

"There's no turning back now." Neilbury says as the satellite begins beaming data from interstellar space.

fr0n1lY.png

Edited by Taki117

The doors to the Space plane hanger slid open as a new, never before tested craft rolled out onto the runway. "What is it?" gawkers asked as it placed itself on one end of the runway.

n4IF0jY.png

nBtz4QO.png

"It ain't no rocket, that's fur sure." someone commented as the whine of engines filled the air.

G6tKM0h.png

Slowly it began rolling down the runway, picking up speed as it went. soon the nose began lifting into the air and before anyone knew it the thing was airborn.

rBeMiOJ.png

p1O83r9.png

Neilbury and Jedlie were at the controls of a new monstrosity, something he called a Space Plane. It was designed to get into orbit without separating any parts, very unlike a rocket. Neilbury pulled back on the stick and began to climb skywards, leaving the Kerbal Space Center far behind.

ZUEBhuo.png

LnwlXPY.png

The aircraft began a steady climb until it reached about 13km where it began loosing lift. The engines just weren't powerful enough to push it any higher.

Pljicwp.png

"Neilbury to Tower, come in Tower. We're not going to space today, she just doesn't have enough thrust." Neilbury said into his headset as he began the turn to get back to the space center.

AunEq9D.png

It was a long flight back but soon enough the Runway was in sight. Neilbury lowered the landing gear in preparation to land.

c6DYk8a.png

"Lineup complete, on final approach." Jedlie radioed because Neilbury was far to concerned with getting the aircraft down in one piece.

VCOKsn8.png

As they dropped lower Neilbury pitched up to slow the aircraft down. Leading them to a safe landing.

lb9rLDn.png

glrbNoe.png

Dw9y5bJ.png

After coming to a stop Neilbury engaged the forward gear motor and steering before taxing back to the hanger.

G0J7hdO.png

(This is where it stopped, I didn't taxi here)

cMHOLDT.png

Once the doors were opened Neilbury taxied inside where the crew began work on improving the design.

Edited by Taki117

After some time the doors of the Space Plane Hanger opened and a new, redesigned craft rolled out. Instead of the five engines of the previous model this only hand one. There were also more jet engines, and more Rocket fuel. Neilbury smiled as it taxied onto the tarmack, Orbin and Herzer Kerman at the controls, ready to take the first Space Tourism Aircraft into orbit.

For it's maiden voyage it would not carry any passengers, in the event something went horribly wrong.

eU1Q3Yt.png

The Jet engines were fired up and the crew went over the checklist one last time as they spooled up. Everyone at mission control was nervouse because Neilbury hadn't even made it to space, let alone orbit.

WxlKQv2.png

Orbin released the Brakes and the aircraft shot forward, picking up tremendous speed. Even with the extra engines and fuel overall it was lighter than the first generation, and it certainly had a better thrust to weight ratio. Once it had come up to speed Orbin pulled back on the yolk, lifting the nose, then the rest of the aircraft into the air.

mTEuUTP.png

rtLIOjl.png

Herzer retracted the landing gear as Orbin began the stee pascent to cruising altitude, where they would build up most of their speed for the push to orbit.

9WC2Zj1.png

At 10km Orbin dropped the nose to about 15 degrees and held it steady as they began to ick up both horizontal speed and altitude. Soon re-entry flames began to lick the aircraft as they passed Mach 3.

nl2c5wH.png

W8jmcl7.png

At 25km the Orbin activated the rocket engine while Herzer shut down the jets and closed their intakes. They couldn't be used in space.

qRJVz59.png

Once the apoapsis reached about 76km Orbin set the throttle to zero and began coasting towards Apoapsis. The hardest part was done.

xCEjymz.png

At Apoapsis the Rocket engine was fired up again and the orbit circularized. They were now in orbit. Herzer activated the deploy-able solar panels so that they would have continuous power as they circled Kerbin.

wxeAYeb.png

TNI0Y49.png

Orbin and Herzer were enjoying themselves when suddenly a voice came over the comms. "Alright now, you've had your fun. It's time to come back home." it said and both Orbin and Herzer let out an audible groan before reorienting the space plane and firing the rocket engine to put them on course to land at the Kerbal Space Center.

GCwrLxl.png

As they neared the atmosphere Orbin reoriented the space plane for reentry while Herzer retracted the extended solar panels.

UpTCsWC.png

N058MO7.png

As they got deeper into the atmosphere the flight computer began to perform a series of S-turns to attempt to slow the vessel down. (In the actual shuttle mission the flight computer performs the maneuver, so I thought it fitting that it did it here, though in actuality this was done manually)

3XWWgXN.png

XvHJU9o.png

U4hJzzS.png

Unfortunately the maneuver was executed far too high up (A programming error as no one had attempted this before) and reentry flames began to engulf the vehicle. There was concern at mission control (And in the cockpit) that the nose landing gear was going to burn up and explode.

7040vzs.png

Once the flames had subsided the Ship had overshot the Kerbal Space Center so Herzer fired up the jet engines just enough so that they could be throttled if needed without having to wait for them to come up to speed.

2fSgU20.png

Orbin also began the maneuver to align the space plane with the runway.

Nb2Uonq.png

dToGa5A.png

(I probably should have turned the other way, I think it would have been easier...)

As the ship came around the ILS beacon was picked up by the crew and final adjustments were made.

0jCOMeq.png

vGs0ueO.png

cohaQcs.png

At 5km from the runway the jet engines were shut off and the landing gear lowered

XnnZ6Fu.png

at 2.5km from the end of the runway Orbin dropped the nose of the aircraft to lose altitude before performing a flare maneuver to reduce their speed.

1lnD9K8.png

I05XSrV.png

It was determined that this maneuver should be performed sooner, while the vessel is higher up in the atmosphere. Never the less the aircraft landed safely, if a tad off-center.

kQpnM4h.png

bPM6ltu.png

Orbin then engaged the nose motor and taxied to the rear of the space plane hanger, the only thing that needed to be done was a post flight inspection and a refuel before it was ready to fly again.

iiKXfWn.png

T1LVRrJ.png

(For more information on the Actual Shuttle Landing go here!)

Edited by Taki117

"So you can take more people with you into space, that's nice but what good is that?" an older member of the crowed asked during a press conference after the latest flight. "Well, not only can we take passengers with us, but with the latest version we can also take small cargo and supplies with us into orbit." NEilbury replied calmly. The old Kerbal got a wry smile on his face and leaned close to the mic. "Prove it." he said. Neilbury only smiled. "I will."

Shortly thereafter the newest space plane was rolled out onto the runway. "It ain't got now windows! How will people be able to see out?" someone asked as the small crowed gathered a safe distance from the runway.

qij68bW.png

The jets were fired up and soon enough it was airborne, on it's way to space with Neilbury at the controls.

kAim8IJ.png

cUypF8j.png

Neilbury kicked in the rocket engine right on schedule and the space plane clawed its way into space.

OLbPkU2.png

RTnoJmY.png

"That's all well and good, but we've seen all that before. He still hasn't shown us what else this thing can do" The old man said as he watched the television stream of the launch. Then there was movement from the middle of the spacecraft.

8uIoUkS.png

Concealed in its belly was a small satellite, although in truth it was average sized as satellites go. Deploying it didn't go exactly as planned, but there was no damage to the satellite and son it had been fully deployed and was ready for it's mission.

SzltPNt.png

SKefpKr.png

"That ain't no commsat!" the man exclaimed, standing up from his chair at the nursing home. He was right, it wasn't a communications satellite at all, and it wasn't headed for an orbit around Kerbin either.

AhvcTq7.png

The image on the screen changed to one inside the cabin. "Greetings from space!" Neilbury began as the image began to slowly rotate. "We've just launched our first mapping satellite headed for Mun. It's going to map the entire surface so that we can study it and maybe not land on the side of a mountain again." The old mans jaw dropped in astonishment, his false teeth falling to the floor as an image of the resulting orbit filled the screen.

yQBF30b.png

The satellite is now well on it's way to the Mun.

ipJYQn2.png

After a short correction burn it was placed in a 100kmx100km polar orbit to begin mapping the entire surface of Mun.

ru0EaCO.png

It's mission complete the space plane closes the cargo bay doors and prepares for reentry.

1aDvk6u.png

33k1WOX.png

When it is 180 degrees around the planet from the Kerbal Space Center it perform the retro burn, placing its apoapsis about 5km above the KSC.

pzj1POC.png

At an altitude of 69km the forward solar panels were retracted and the plane pitched up to 20 degrees for reentry.

qB1qvBf.png

pSHvh6Y.png

Suddenly the nose violently pitched up before falling to about -20 degrees. "Neilbury, we're out of power! DEAD STICK! DEAD STICK!" Jongas radioed to the Kerbal Space Center, using the last of the reserve power. Dead stick was an emergency code for the vessel being out of power and manual control had been taken.

7Nh0YL7.png

NhhfINu.png

There was concern at mission control that a nose first orientation wouldn't be able to survive reentry, and that the crew would either burn up or that the ship would have to undergo serious overhaul. At this point communications had gone out. Neilbury tried his best to pitch the nose up, which only resulted in an oscillation about the roll axis.

4Y6uCqN.png

Once they got into thicker atmosphere the jet engines were fired up to provide not only power, but thrust as well since they had undershot their predicted landing zone.

N8v5bKa.png

Travelling at about Mach 2 the space plane continued to slow as they approached the mountains to the west of the Kerbal Space Center. The Jets were at little more than an idle.

zoCjLJD.png

Soon it had cleared the mountains and Neilbury had the perfect Visual indicator to align for the runway.

bHWqOIT.png

3tslvQr.png

At 5km the landing gear were deployed and Neilbury made final adjustments.

Q90Q3WF.png

At 100m above the surface the Drag chute deployed to assist in slowing them down, and to reduce wear on the brakes. This led to a very safe, if not short, landing.

GQ1zJfb.png

EToJFm9.png

KpdpjSm.png

The space plane then taxied to the doors of the space plane hanger for servicing and a new payload. No longer would they have to build big, disposable rockets to launch a satellite.

YIKhVvZ.png

Edited by Taki117

So, having taken a break from rockets Neilbury decides that it's time to go back to the Mun, For Science! A new rocket was designed and placed on the launch pad. It wasn't fancy, but it would get the job done.

YI5mPs8.png

Neilbury activated the autopilot and sat back in his seat, and hit the button for launch. He shot skywards, some new technology had been unlocked and implemented in this design.

yHNvKix.png

Once the first stage had burned out after circularizing it was jettisoned, the retro rockets firing and propelling it back into the atmosphere.

exp7GOM.png

The lander performed the transfer burn to the Mun after Neilbury had set up the maneuver. He appreciated the simplicity of the autopilot. Because of the orientation of the Mun it was decided to skip the circularization and go straight into a landing.

S6KNxP9.png

uG8d5JX.png

biYZpZn.png

bOCOh7H.png

After a successful landing Neilbury took some surface samples before climbing back into the lander and returning home, and again because of the orientation it was decided to go straight into a free return trajectory.

G8vEHkD.png

AT 60km the parachutes were armed and the lander jettisoned.

pUVCsRt.png

Soon enough reentry Flames began to lick the underside of the capsule before completely engulfing it.

675LqEZ.png

3bL1Gvn.png

At 3km the main chutes deployed and the capsule landed safely.

PFqFo4I.png

xRapJl4.png

This mission gained enough science to finish construction on the Dune Explorer Transfer Stage.

Edited by Taki117

So, some bit ago a satellite was launched to map the Mun, to prove that the Cargo transport Discovery and HTOL space planes in general, could be useful. It's time to see how it progresses.

"Hey Orbin, how's the Mun Mapper coming." Neilbury asked one early morning.

"I was just about to check it, want to take a look?" he replied, as he punched a few commands into the computer and a small map appeared. Neilbury leaned over his shoulder and smiled, looking at the percentage in the corner. "Hundred Percent. But what are all these small dots with circles around them?" he asked, pointing to one of the symbols next to the Genefried Plains. "They are marked as Anomalies, Maybe just an error on the map, shouldn't be anything to worry about." Orbin replied, but Neilbury had other ideas. "Sed it to the boys in the lab, then go ahead and de-orbit that sat. We've no more use for it."

Orbin nodded and punched a few more commands into the computer and the satellite began to de-orbit itself into the surface of the Mun.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Taki117

"Alright, we got the transport system, now we need someplace for our tourists to stay." Neilbury said as he walked into the hanger. He had an idea, and a design, he just needed the rocket built. The first module would be the backbone of the station. It would connect every other module and allow passage between them. It would have to be big, since it would hold 6 kerbals, the 2 pilots and 4 passengers, the two pilots would also maintain the station while the passengers would enjoy the station and being in space for a week.

Soon the first module was on the launch pad. It would be the only one that needed a fairing thanks to standardized module size. It would also include a tug that would move the other modules into place.

hXwn6ez.png

Since it didn't need to meet up with any other module it was launched immediately.

xQIg21k.png

It climbed through the atmosphere slowly, the center booster running out of fuel before the solid boosters. Both were jettisoned at approximately the same time.

Ku3FCYE.png

jt2quS0.png

At MECO the fairing was jettisoned and the solar panels deployed. The tug also had Radio Isotope Thermo-electric Generators as a back up power supply.

qmlXLq7.png

VvUR6cX.png

Once the section had reached its target orbit the booster engine was jettisoned and the recreation module inflated and the lights activated..

V5ZTrlR.png

Ryt74ux.png

Edited by Taki117

Next up was the life support module, it contained water and air recyclers as well as enough supplies to last the occupants over 1000 days.

t0iA3Oz.png

Fortunately the station was almost at the proper position to allow a rendezvous and the vessel was launched shortly after it was set up.

4WjKHBl.png

It climbed quickly through the atmosphere, well on it's way to dock.

dWivt1F.png

Once the drive stage had been jettisoned the Tug was sent over to assist with the docking maneuver.

bXS1JrN.png

The Tug brought the life support module in to dock in it's appropriate location.

rIrX4ZG.png

xFrbAvh.png

With the addition of the Life Support Module it was time to add both the Habitation Module and the Docking Module. The habitation Module would serve as the sleeping quarters for the space tourists during their stay aboard the Hotel California while the Docking Module would allow the Endeavor to dock with it and transfer crew.

Here is the launch of the Docking Module. This had to be done at night to facilitate an expedited docking with the Station.

mfHDucX.png

BY760iX.png

Once the Boosters had burned out they were jettisoned.

n411qct.png

The Main Lifter Stage was also jettisoned when it was no longer useful.

hF6wXx3.png

And here we see the Docking Module awaiting an intercept. It would later dock with the station.

6LZI0sg.png

Edited by Taki117

The Habitation Module Lifts off almost as soon as it is on the pad because the station was just beyond the correct orientation.

cd2ELrR.png

Booster Jettison.

zlDqH7B.png

Main Lifter Jettison and orbital insertion.

xGYPt4L.png

And here it is all set up to dock.

plZCKEH.png

Welcome to the Hotel California!

16skEHz.png

I think you should make or use a proper space shuttle for the rest of the station. I am suggesting this because the CSS just got updated. What do you think?

Will the CSS fit 2.5m parts? In order to keep memory down I've deleted all the HL stuff in B9, and I'm a little leery about adding more mods for that very reason.

With construction of the Space Hotel well under way people were already beginning to line up to be the first ones in space. With each new launch the excitement grew. Sure the stay would only be a week, but it was worth it. A very large crowed had gathered at the launch site as the next module went up. This would be the utilities module, housing communications and waste processing facilities (Kerbals gotta poop too)

vgnnQTu.png

After a short wait on the pad it rises into the air, Neilbury and Jedlie having just climbed out after finishing the final preflight checks. (They almost hitched a ride, who knew it was a command pod!)

Kr25cpe.png

Once the liquid boosters had been fed into the main tank and were emptied they were jettisoned. The module climbed ever higher.

UmWQo9H.png

Unfortunately do to a communications glitch (I forgot to hit the button) the separation of the Main Lift Stage was not captured. Instead the next image received was the circularizing of the orbit.

wo4jnzR.png

Once the module was in range the Tug was dispatched to retrieve it and guide it into it's place. This was done at approximately 300m.

4sRVKkC.png

Once the Tug had docked with the module the transfer stage was jettisoned to be de-orbited later and the module reoriented for it's new home.

ppnX73k.png

The station was clearly divided into two sections, the "Top" would be the habitation and recreation areas, while the "Bottom" would be the power generation and supply storage facilities. This module would be placed directly next to the Habitation Module to facilitate midnight trips to the John.

Cin61fj.png

2Cq5S4e.png

With the advent of space tourism new restrictions were put into place. No fuel would be stored in any manned space station, the risk of explosion was too great. Also, there must be an adequate method of escape in the event of an emergency if Kerbals are aboard.

The Logistics module, holding necessary supplies for station repair, was placed on the launch pad. It used the same launcher as the previous module with one key difference.

4OO49y5.png

The evening launch went off without a hitch, the rocket soaring into the air.

uXuQPkt.png

Because the fuel lines between the liquid boosters and the main lifter had been removed they burned for far longer, and provided much more thrust in the crucial first stage of launch.

X2vWqje.png

Once in space both the lifter section and the aerodynamic nosecone were jettisoned, however due to a minor glitch in the autopilot a collision between the nosecone and the module occurred damaging a solar panel.

cWQIj9Z.png

"IMPACT!" someone shouted from somewhere inside the control room. "Damage report!" Neilbury shouted back. "Collision with the Nosecone, we've lost a solar panel. Debris is sub-orbital." Neilbury let out an audible sigh. "Not as bad as it could have been, we got lucky." he said before turning back to his panel.

AmYudfr.png

Once the module was 300m from the target approach was slowed to .5m/s (To prevent it floating away too fast) and the Tug dispatched.

4oeP5EI.png

SwyBtYQ.png

The Module was docked to the station without further incident.

nzURGhI.png

8JlmrMg.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.