[0.24] Distant Object Enhancement 1.3.1 - Planets/satellites in the night sky! (7/29)

Rubber Ducky

Howdy all,

Wonderful mod, besides my troubles:

Crashed to desktop when all files/textures are loaded (or at least the yellow loading bar is visisably full).

My mod list is as follows: Blizytoolbar, B9, DeadlyReentry, EngineerRedux, FerramAero, KAS, KerbalJointReinforcement, Kethane, KWRocket, Mechjeb, Infernal Robotics, DockingPort align(navyfish), RCSBuildAid, RealChute, RemoteTech2, SelectRoot, TAC (FuelBal, Lifesupport, SelfDestruct), altResourcePanel, Void, Intersteller, WarpUnlocker.

Crash Log:

Quite possible to have run out of RAM.

I tried this mod, then immediately had to uninstall it. It caused quite a bit of lag, but what led me to getting rid of it was very simple, yet quite a major problem: The 'escape' key was disabled somehow. Meaning that I couldn't pause the game, I couldn't revert a flight, I couldn't do anything to get out of the flight scene except to select the 'Recover Vessel' dropdown function above the altimeter. Which, of course, would be a major issue if I wanted to leave a ship in place and go back to the space center, right? I could even switch vessels using the Map screen, but still couldn't pause or go back to KSC.

So, there you go, bug report. :)

FWIW, I haven't really been able to use ANY 'visual enhancement' type mods, due to lag, mainly.

Anyway, I might try a later version of this if this issue ends up getting remarked upon by others and fixed.

Later. :)

And this is v1.1 (updated a few hours ago), correct? If it is, do you think you could provide your save file or output log?

Also, W.O.P.R., I'm not sure what your crash is related to. The plugin is loaded during the loading screen, and it doesn't run any code until a flight is loaded/started. The plugin should only be adding at most 20-30KB of RAM; I doubt that'd put you over the limit if all of the other mods were working fine before.

Very unlikely, this machine has 64 gigs of memory; and 3Ts of Disk as well.

Because of Unity issues, KSP runs on 32-bit, which means it can only use 4 GB of memory anyways. It's possible you are very close to the limit, which makes KSP unstable with or without this plugin. I'd recommend that active memory management mod; it works wonders.

Because of Unity issues, KSP runs on 32-bit, which means it can only use 4 GB of memory anyways. It's possible you are very close to the limit, which makes KSP unstable with or without this plugin. I'd recommend that active memory management mod; it works wonders.

Thank you for the info, very silly thing to do on behave of Unity, but I'll go with it.

And this is v1.1 (updated a few hours ago), correct? If it is, do you think you could provide your save file or output log?

No, It's not, I hadn't realized that you had updated the download. A suggestion: Please rename new versions of the download file so that I can differentiate which is which on my computer? As in, 'DistantObject1.0', 'DistantObject1.1', etc. Instead of my PC having to call each file 'DistantObject (1)'. I know, it's almost the same thing, but this way I'll know that YOU are posting a new updated version, and that I'm not downloading the exact same thing that I've already downloaded. Capisce? :)

No, It's not, I hadn't realized that you had updated the download. A suggestion: Please rename new versions of the download file so that I can differentiate which is which on my computer? As in, 'DistantObject1.0', 'DistantObject1.1', etc. Instead of my PC having to call each file 'DistantObject (1)'. I know, it's almost the same thing, but this way I'll know that YOU are posting a new updated version, and that I'm not downloading the exact same thing that I've already downloaded. Capisce? :)

Ah, will do. Hadn't realized that could be an issue.

Um just time-warped and this happened ... Luckily I had a backup

30ky3bs.png

Any Ideas?

Edit: It keeps doing it so im going to have to remove the plugin and try again

Edit2: Works fine without this plugin, i hope theres a fix as this looked great

Edited by montyben101

If you hit F3 does it say that something collided with you?

I was working on my space station last night and when I undocked and brought my ship in for a landing it just randomly exploded as it somehow was dragging a copy of a space station part. I thought it might be related to the KAS + KJR strut bug (as I was strutting the space station and adding lights), but I had this installed too. When I tried to take off another ship that part was there on the runway and I exploded shortly after take-off when it said it collided with me. Once I terminated the space station the problems ended. But maybe this plug in was the cause?

Well, so far early tests are promising, I haven't had any glitches yet, but I'm going to test further.

TcEwIUq.jpg

I have found a sweet view though.

Edit: No still glitching:

cmiOvnw.jpg

Lost an entire crew when my shuttle crashed into an invisible panel. :(

Edited by vardicd

Gave it a go, however my vessels all blow up when they reach 3300 meters.

Perhaps something to do with the could mod? It was about the hight of the coulds.

Edited by Tw1

I tried this mod, then immediately had to uninstall it. It caused quite a bit of lag, but what led me to getting rid of it was very simple, yet quite a major problem: The 'escape' key was disabled somehow. Meaning that I couldn't pause the game, I couldn't revert a flight, I couldn't do anything to get out of the flight scene except to select the 'Recover Vessel' dropdown function above the altimeter. Which, of course, would be a major issue if I wanted to leave a ship in place and go back to the space center, right? I could even switch vessels using the Map screen, but still couldn't pause or go back to KSC.

So, there you go, bug report. :)

FWIW, I haven't really been able to use ANY 'visual enhancement' type mods, due to lag, mainly.

Anyway, I might try a later version of this if this issue ends up getting remarked upon by others and fixed.

Later. :)

The lag is caused by null reference errors! As seen in one of my previous posts :P

Edit: Isn't it odd that a mod that causes planets to give off flares of light somehow breaks timewarp and destroys ships!? XD

Edited by Boamere

The lag is caused by null reference errors! As seen in one of my previous posts :P

Edit: Isn't it odd that a mod that causes planets to give off flares of light somehow breaks timewarp and destroys ships!? XD

I'm still convinced it has to do with the editing to the render distance. that's the only part of this mod I can figure doing this.

Actually its not. Matters what is actually rendering the light, and what he is using as a source for those lights. The simplest things can break KSP sometimes, or cause strange behaviors.

From the first post:

•This plugin doesn't increase the true rendering distance (it's still ~2.5km) -- it just draws models in place of where the ships should be.

•On-rails vessels up to 750km away are visually rendered (no intensive physics calculations necessary)

Sounds like some render distance modification was involved. Not sure, you could be right, but...

•This plugin doesn't increase the true rendering distance (it's still ~2.5km) -- it just draws models in place of where the ships should be.

•On-rails vessels up to 750km away are visually rendered (no intensive physics calculations necessary)

Sounds like some render distance modification was involved. Not sure, you could be right, but...

Like stated in the OP, the render distance isn't touched at all. The plugin simply takes stored information about vessels outside of the render distance, loads the model of each part in its proper place, and then destroys all of the physics colliders. Note that "render distance" is referring to the point at which KSP loads and physically simulates vessels -- KSP's default model rendering distance seems to be 750km (which, again, isn't touched).

That said, I suspect that the ship-eating bug is an error in destroying the physics collider. I think there's some mod part or possibly even a stock part that doesn't allow the collider to be destroyed, then the collider manages to stick around and blow up the ship. I'll have to do some more testing when I get home in a few hours.

In the meantime, if you are having problems with this error, you can disable vessel rendering by going into the Settings.cfg file and setting maxDistance to -1. That will definitely fix it.

Edited by Rubber Ducky

Actually its not. Matters what is actually rendering the light, and what he is using as a source for those lights. The simplest things can break KSP sometimes, or cause strange behaviors.

Odd, When I was getting lag, I looked under the debug and found that there where loads of null reference errors every second, which cause lag (normally, based on when I have had it happen before)

hope the issue of collsions get fixed realy want to use this. why dont ask one of the other moders that makes stuff like the clouds and city mod. he proobaly has had a smilar issue as this he may know something.

Edited by sidfu

I was just reading through the pages.. Rubby Ducky you say you can disable the rendering with this mod? Does that by chance get rid of the major bugs people are experiencing? Now.. idk about anyone else, but personally im okay with just the flares and planets. If this mod is stable with just those features alone then that'd be all I need.