Best game engine?

trbinsc

What would be the best game engine to use for a MMO? I was thinking about using unity, but I really don\'t have any idea on what would be best. Also, would coding my own engine be very hard?

If you made a coding engine then you alredey know all the code for it so it would be easy if you made the coding engine

What would be the best game engine to use for a MMO? I was thinking about using unity, but I really don\'t have any idea on what would be best. Also, would coding my own engine be very hard?

Yes coding an engine is EXTREMELY hard.

It would take 2 years to make one with 8 people working 8 hour shifts.

If you want the best free go for Unity.

If you want the best paid go for UDK.

Im just learning python so i know how to use game engines with it there are no TUT on youtube of why you need a game engine or how to use one

You know how many people tried to make MMO and failed?

Everytime I see on forums someone willing to make MMO I already assume he won\'t do it. And most ( all ) of the times it was true.

But yes, try it, just know that it is not that simple.

How much game developing/programming experience do you have?

Do you know any language really good? ( learning one while doing project won\'t help )

You want it to be 2d or 3d? Make ASCII first, then 2D, don\'t jump into 3D, as you will fail for 90%.

If you wan\'t to just have some fun and do not want to make money on it or do not want program, use Blender Game Engine, or FPS creator.

BGE 2.4x was pretty nice, haven\'t used 2.5+ much.

Try it, try to do something. Trying is first step to failure victory. :)

Well, I sort of know javascript and I know a bit of lua. I want it to be 3D, however I was thinking of making a 2D online pong for practice before I start the real thing. I was hoping to make a little bit of money, but not really that much.

Well, I sort of know javascript and I know a bit of lua. I want it to be 3D, however I was thinking of making a 2D online pong for practice before I start the real thing. I was hoping to make a little bit of money, but not really that much.

Someone I know from a game is now 16 and makes already money from his 13th with scripting and oding other small jobs. Now, he has 10+ sites with which he makes a nice amount of money. I think making a MMO takes a lot of time, so maybe try these things if you want to make some money.

I was thinking of making a 2D online pong for practice before I start the real thing. I was hoping to make a little bit of money, but not really that much.

Then target Android, only $25 to put an app on the market.

Depends upon what kind of engine you want, really... and what you want it for.

If you want a full, 3D engine with all the bells and whistles, for release so other\'s can use it, then that will take an awfully long time... yes...

However, if you just want a little 2D engine to run your own little game in then it shouldn\'t take you that long to do if you know what you\'re doing.

I strongly suggest taking a look at the Python Programming Language, if you haven\'t already. Wonderful language to work in, especially if you can write decent C code. You get things \'working\' in Python, figure out parts that are taking up the most of your processor time, and then look at replacing them with more efficient C code in those sections. Then check out Panda3D and its licensing options. Very forgiving.

But really, nearly any language with support in the last decade is decent.

Also, head over to Gamedev.net and check out their forums. Start with small projects, learn to program, and move from there.

MMOs are horribly complex games to produce that quickly spiral out of control, and in general end in utter failure/abandonment. If you haven\'t been programming for at least 5 years, and have polished at least one solid (non-trivial) game, then don\'t even think about an MMO. You have a long way to go before you get there.

UDK is a 25% royalty, they also don\'t charge that royalty if you make under 50k in a year. Its actually quite reasonable as far as a license goes.

http://www.udk.com/licensing

On a similar note, unity is only free if you make under their income limit. Otherwise you need to pay a 1500 dollar license fee to them. The big bonus for unity is that there are no royalties at all. So its really not that bad of an option.

http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses.html

UDK is a 25% royalty, they also don\'t charge that royalty if you make under 50k in a year. Its actually quite reasonable as far as a license goes.

http://www.udk.com/licensing

On a similar note, unity is only free if you make under their income limit. Otherwise you need to pay a 1500 dollar license fee to them. The big bonus for unity is that there are no royalties at all. So its really not that bad of an option.

http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses.html

Wow! Last time I looked into Unreal Engine licensing it was a flat $350,000. Love the new terms.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.