L series interceptor (will be updated)

Hello guys! First and foremost i would like to say hi as i am new to the forums. Before i joined i managed to get to the mun and minimus via a rocket i built. However, i would like to build a plane that is able to at least fly.. then i might be more ambitious and build a space station maybe with a few military gears.As for now, please take a look at the L interceptor i have(as for now i have 2 up and running)

The L interceptor was accidentally designed by me while i was screwing around the SPH. Its basically a light craft that has good speed to it. Take a look at a few photos.

The L1 (without weapons)

FkyMGRZ.jpg

cYL5wX6.png

NHeSRFR.png

QBTaZZb.png

The L1 is basically a simple design, a light craft that is meant to go at high speeds and able to take off and land normally.Its a pretty light plane with basic jet engine. However, i decide to try to improve it and get a L2. However,the L2 is basically a X-Com type interceptor.(unintentionally) Which allows it to take off very quickly and is able to get to the sky in less than 15 seconds

2fSbG8h.png

V99EitC.png

eFHAYi3.png

XLYnyu5.png

RAYxeCw.png

The L series seem to be promising to me as i try to find new ways to improve on it. As for now, i will stop with these 2. the L2 has an additional turbojet engine which is the reason it will not takeoff normally. Which meant that its advantage is its weakness, it cannot land. Well i THINK it cannot land,. I did not have the chance to test it. The L1 and L2 had a very bad weakness, its manoeuvrability is very very... horrible. So horrible to the point i decided to give up on testing its weapons and landing.

wIZNTCs.png

Actually, its that horrible that pitching up and down can be an issue at times. However, with the suggestions of Keb cubed and pauly( and disarming for supporting). The issue was easily fixed.. in fact.. too easy. Its just basically changing the wing type and engine placement. If people were to look at the 2 suggestions, one suggested to use 2 engines while the other suggested 3, only to change the placement, personally after testing both.I prefer Jeb cubed suggestion which is to use 2 engines. However those 2 engines were turbo as suggested by Pauly. So the L3 solved the issues of manoeuvrability.Here are the results of L3.

PMuP15I.png

5Kayhvk.png

IXzRfyW.png

uUqTccB.png

ouDQ4ao.png

The L3 obviously has a new issue now. Its the landing. I am not sure if it is due to me sucking at landing or the design of the plane fails or both.So i add parachutes to it so that it is able to land better. However if the parachutes are used, the engines will be destroyed by physics.The L4 will solve these problems which i will do another time. Thanks again for reading and if you have any suggestions, feel free to post

P.S I MIGht not update this for a week as there are tests i need to study for.So that you will not think i abandoned this thread, i just have tests to study and i will be back next week

Edited by Rocket_Boomer

I have learned a lot in my year of KSP, almost all in the SPH. To be honest three engines is kinda pointless at low altitudes. An interceptor is meant for high altitudes. One or two turbojets should be good. About your maneuverability problem, well there is many solutions for that. You might want to add more wings and control surfaces, but again an interceptor isn't meant for maneuverability, just going high and fast. But the idea is really cool, but cool ideas sometimes can make the Kraken jelly sometimes.

I like the 3 engines but I would use 1 basic in the middle and 2 turbos on the outside tanks.

To fix your maneuvering problem put an 1 sas behind the cockpit or put 2 if needed on the outer tanks behind the air intakes. Maybe another control surface, or canard.

As for landing put another landing gear farther up the nose and put your gear on an action group. So for take off you use the one farther back for faster liftoff and the one farther up for a nice even landing platform.

Welcome to the forums! That's a nice airplane you have there, but as Jeb Cubed says, three engines is kinda useless.

Hi Boomer. Baton is correct. Three engines is utterly useless. You must add MOAR!

The reason why you have trouble landing is because of the center of mass is either aligned with the back landing gear of just shy of it. It means you need to put the landing gears more back, but if you put it too far back, it will be harder for you to takeoff. Simple solution?: Make plane bigger, and give it a good lifting surface (big or more wings). Press the buttons (on the left and the center) below the symmetry and snap angle buttons in the SPH (the buttons under all the part selection). If the blue ball is directly in the center of the yellow ball, it is stable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.