All about Jool

Earlier today i learnt the hard way that jool is a planet you cannot land on, but i did get some good science points from the trip and managed to get in to about 3000m from the surface , then back out and return to kerbal. My queston is, has anyone else managed to actually land on jool? or should i just land on one of the moons on my second journey?.. I want to set up a base of sorts to explore the area better.. and someplace to refuel my ship for return to kerbal. I do have a refueling tank in orbit around jool, but have built a mobile refueler to refuel on land, so a nice flat moon would be good if not jool lol :) Thanks in advance for help n advice

Edited by chenzo

To land on Jool is to present yourself to the Kraken. One does not simply land on the Kraken's lair. Ships are pretty much instantly explodified (if that's not a word, it is now!). It is possible to go below the surface, so no. After you get to about -30 meters altitude, the game physics pretty much break down. EVA kerbals will go spaztic ragdoll and ships will undergo explodification. You have been warned.

EDIT:

I stand corrected.

Edited by Captain Sierra

If you're looking for a land base on which to refuel ships around Jool, I'd suggest Vall. It doesn't have Laythe's atmosphere, Tylo's gravity or the weird eccentric orbits of Pol and Bop. Flat it is not, but it's liable to be the best you're going to get.

If you're looking for a land base on which to refuel ships around Jool, I'd suggest Vall. It doesn't have Laythe's atmosphere, Tylo's gravity or the weird eccentric orbits of Pol and Bop. Flat it is not, but it's liable to be the best you're going to get.

It's fairly flat in places like the areas which appear flattish from orbit. Vall's closeness to Lathe is the main problem. Phase angle lineups take lots of time because of that. I actually use Vall as my secondary kethane point. The massive quantities come out of Pol but Vall provides a good place to pull about 55% yield and deliver periodic shipments to Lathe and LJO.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.