Mun Landings

Javster

Have you landed and returned a Kerbal on the Mun?  

1. 1. Have you landed and returned a Kerbal on the Mun?

As you should be, has you landed on Minmus?

A bit harder to get to but far easier to land on.

Do you use a plane ipt or is it from a mod?

Yes, Stranded Bob there after an EVA went haywire. He bounced a lot but lived. Once I master 3 man capsules I'll rescue him.

SMH0jEF.png

My Kerbals longed to go to the moon and believed it to be made of cheese. Once they actually made it to the moon and discovered it wasn't, they haven't been back since. :D Actually, I've made many a trip to the mun and use it as a testing ground for new lander designs.

But who remembers the old cheese commercial I was referencing?:sticktongue:

Made it in my campagin run, so I couldn't go Apollo-style - didn't have a docking ports (this whole research tree makes no sense half of a time), instead landed rather large and way too vertical rocket on a surface - but I admit I cheated a bit: watched a video of guy doing the same with another vertical rocket, so I knew how to break and make a perfect landing.... Ok, almost perfect: I nearly crashed as it came out that terrain is very uneven and had to make an escape boost to find better landing spot. But did it in a second attempt :)

Damn it Whackjob...

Most make landers smaller than a single foot of your monster...

Yes its impressive, have made heavier landers, one was able to lift 1500 ton metal from Minmus, but nothing in that size.

I remember figuring out my own unique (And seriously flawed, but everything good is seriously flawed and/or a deathtrap) way of landing on atmosphere-less bodies. I essentially do it normally, but I cancel out my horizontal speed entirely by burning sideways and THEN burn off my vertical speed. Took me 16 tries and 23 kerbals. Don't ask why those two numbers aren't the same...

Well, it's complicated... I've landed on the moon several times, but never returned them, and I had made a plan to do so except I had to re-install the game before I could because I jacked up something in the GameData folder, so I guess no....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.