Sometimes I feel bad about what I do to my kerbals.

michaelphoenix22

So im starting a new game with remote tech installed, however the most irritating part about that mod is the start up. Trying to get that initial satellite coverage over kerbin so you can actually launch missions to other places. So i thought to myself "self this is a problem im tired of dealing with." So i decided to make permanent satellites with white suited Kerbals in each one with a satellite dish slapped firmly over the door. No parachutes are installed either.... they are never leaving. Those poor souls will be stuck forever being Kerbin's eyes and ears for the rest of eternity.

So i decided to make permanent satellites with white suited Kerbals in each one with a satellite dish slapped firmly over the door. No parachutes are installed either.... they are never leaving. Those poor souls will be stuck forever being Kerbin's eyes and ears for the rest of eternity.

An admirable solution to the problem. I do similar things myself :)

I had a turned over rover on the moon and tried to fix it by running into it at an angle using the EMU. All I accomplished was blowing up both the rover and the Kerbal.

The other two on the Mun are awaiting a rescue mission after I discovered the liftoff engines had sustained damage upon landing.

It's the Kerbal way.

I've not stranded any in career yet. Once my ships reach orbit they work great. It's the reaching orbit bit that doesn't always go to plan.

they aren't stranded... i exiled them there.

I've decided to roleplay it as they have committed crimes against Kerbal kind, and this is their punishment. Permanent exile is the punishment.

I've not stranded any in career yet. Once my ships reach orbit they work great. It's the reaching orbit bit that doesn't always go to plan.

That's the easy part for me. Getting them somewhere is easy. Getting them back? Ehh.... *calls PR lawyer*

When I built my remote tech satellite network I sat the satellite I was deploying on top of a manned pod. That way I didn't have to worry about losing signal while I built the infrastructure. Just flew into desired orbit, turned all the bits on the satellite on and let it go.

However I got impatient flying each pod back so after releasing the satellites I would do a burn to put the pod on a trajectory back onto Kerbin, hit space bar enough to activate all stages and ready the parachutes then wish the pilot the best and just go back to the space center to launch the next one. While good old Jeb always made it back Bill and Bob are currently listed as MIA.

I once had a "Science Station" on a high, 45 degree orbit. There were 2 Kerbals on board. Everytime I looked in on them, they were screaming their heads off. I never quite worked out what was making them so scared. Was it the fact there was no fuel or engines? The high orbit? The high inclination?

Or maybe it was the fact that they had been there for about 10 years.

Even when I sent a ship up to them, they still seemed unhappy, so I left them there...

Sometimes, being trapped in orbit is the safest place they could be.

Indeed. The safest place for a Kerbal is being trapped somewhere far away from kerbin, where "Recover vessel" will not bring them back for more punishment.

Im usually pretty nice to 'em.

Being a fellow RT user however I also faced your dilemma. The first launch was a manned dish/aerial combo, I then sent up some un-kerbaled relays whenever he was overhead and got the network established. So pleased with this I totally forgot stage 3 which was to replace him with a drone and he spent 4 years before I noticed. These things happen, just rarely intentionally in my case. Deliberately sticking the dish on the door was harsh though dude :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.