Instant Orbits-- just hit spacebar

foamyesque

could you make more parts then? So we could a lko kso or mun parts without reloading the game

Here\'s how you do it:

Create a copy of the folder containing the part. Rename the folder to FAKOOM_instantEscape, or whatever you like. Edit the part.cfg inside:

Change the node_attach to what I mentioned in my post.

Change the line beginning with \'title\' to a better title.

Change the line beginning with \'description\' to a better description.

Voila! A new part alongside the old one!

OK, figured out Re-entry, escape, and Mun :D

Open (or duplicate) FAKOOM_instantKSO, open part.cfg

Find this line: [tt]node_attach = 300, 28684000, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0[/tt]

Replace with one of the following:

Re-entry: [tt]node_attach = 300, 700000, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0[/tt]

Kerbin Escape: [tt]node_attach = 300, 40000000, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0[/tt]

Munar capture: [tt]node_attach = 300, 36750000, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0[/tt] (sends you to about 30k from Mun, you need to burn to go into a stable orbit though).

Nice work. I wasn\'t sure if the Munar intercept would be possible with the launch geometry. To save people headaches I will add those as soon as I can, probably sometime this evening.

I found out why the camera is weird and the ship breaks apart. It\'s because it is sitting on the launch pad, and the camera looks at the mid point between your ship and the pad.

That\'s correct, and why you need to decouple and map-toggle to get it pointed at something useful.

As amazing as this is, I strengthen my opinion on mod parts not being allowed in campaign mode...

Truth be told, I\'m less sure of that. Many other games (Dragon Age, Skyrim, etc) allow the insertion of cheat/Godmode parts into.their singleplayer campaigns. DLC, to an extent, even officially does that. As long.as it\'s singleplayer, who cares? Probably an argument for another thread, though.

There\'s probably a better number for a re-entry support. The re-entry one should really set you into a highly elliptical orbit with a perigee of about 50K for aerobraking. The problem with the one at 70K is you fall straight down, meaning you re-enter at huge speeds and pull serious Gs when you hit lower atmo.

I\'ll let someone else play with the numbers though, as it\'s time for bed here in London! I\'d guess it\'d be nearer the synchronous orbit than Kerbin.

As amazing as this is, I strengthen my opinion on mod parts not being allowed in campaign mode...

Why keep people from cheating on a single player game? If they want to make the game easier for themselves let them, it doesn\'t effect your game.

The bad side is that many noobs will use this as a cheap way to get into orbit and not use rockets and stay noobs forever.
That\'s a bad side? Somebody gets something which makes the game more enjoyable for them, and that\'s a bad side?

That\'s a bad side? Somebody gets something which makes the game more enjoyable for them, and that\'s a bad side?

I don\'t really see the problem. I\'m only using this for space stations and huge ships that I would never construct/launch without and orbital VAB.

I can\'t understand why you think this? Probably because a lot of the balancing controls are unavailable to you?

Plenty of ways to handle something like this... e.g. Given the distance between the nodes, this part is 2000km tall, which will give it a base price of say 4000000000000 kredits. Something along those lines should seal that exploit up just fine.

It\'s a little insulting to the devs to suggest they\'re not capable of developing a balancing system to handle items like this ;)

I don\'t really see the problem. I\'m only using this for space stations and huge ships that I would never construct/launch without and orbital VAB.
Totally mate... this is a big sandbox and you\'ve given us a bucket that produces kick arse sandcastles without the mucking about.

Bravo I say!

/edit: If I\'d have been a creative enough thinker to have thought of this first, the community would have a much better tuned Kerpollo... it was only the shear number of mun runs I had to make during testing that put me off tuning the fuel/thrust further.

Sandbox mode? Sure. If Campaign mode has any sort of stats system (and it likely will), either mods shouldn\'t be allowed, or they be optional and enabling them will disable stats.

Again: Topic for another, dedicated thread, yes? There seems to be a fair bit of interest in that argument.

EDIT:

OP updated with instant FRT, instant escape, and instant Kerbin-dive parts.

EDIT2:

/edit: If I\'d have been a creative enough thinker to have thought of this first, the community would have a much better tuned Kerpollo... it was only the shear number of mun runs I had to make during testing that put me off tuning the fuel/thrust further.

It was actually some of the node work I was doing to get some of the buggier Kerpollo/my own Apollo 13 components to work right, coupled with JellyCube\'s .craft editing post, that led directly to this. I was already doing offset nodes to place certain items (fuel lines, the upside down folded leg, the CSMLM adapter jettison rockets) and \'cube\'s post pointed out that it would work with much, much larger values.

If Campaign mode has any sort of stats system (and it likely will), either mods shouldn\'t be allowed, or they be optional and enabling them will disable stats.
There\'s no good reason for that. If you disagree, then we\'ll have to take Foamy\'s suggestion and talk about it elsewhere.

It was actually some of the node work I was doing to get some of the buggier Kerpollo/my own Apollo 13 components to work right, coupled with JellyCube\'s .craft editing post, that led directly to this. I was already doing offset nodes to place certain items (fuel lines, the upside down folded leg, the CSMLM adapter jettison rockets) and \'cube\'s post pointed out that it would work with much, much larger values.
Nice. Check out my node (fx) work on the Death Star on Wednesday night... there\'s some big arse numbers in there to make the laser work :D

There\'s no good reason for that. If you disagree, then we\'ll have to take Foamy\'s suggestion and talk about it elsewhere.

Well those results will have the most comparable statistics against other players; I\'m still sure you can simply change the parts for one mode or another, not both at one time.

Reread what you quoted Tim.

Well didn\'t you just disagree there, having a different opinion? Should that go in a different thread?

I just meant that most likely a campaign pre-set mode would again most likely use stock parts. But wait now I have an opinion... ::)

Any chance you can make a shorter KSO part? Im no expert on these things, and i saw someone mention it a few posts back, but it didnt seem to go anywhere..

If its too difficult or impossible, thats cool too, but right now, the KSO given is just a tad unworkable for some things..

Any chance you can make a shorter KSO part? Im no expert on these things, and i saw someone mention it a few posts back, but it didnt seem to go anywhere..

If its too difficult or impossible, thats cool too, but right now, the KSO given is just a tad unworkable for some things..

I\'m not sure if one of us doesn\'t understand quite what you mean, but KSO (keostationary orbit) means the orbit where you move around Kerbin at the same speed that Kerbin rotates, meaning that you stay above the same point on the planet\'s surface. Because of this, there is only one KSO; that\'s just how it works. Physics says.