Airforce and the future for myself, questions!

Llez

First of all, its absolutely true that the brains in all Science fields are not in it for the money. Same as Academia. The paychecks in Science and Academia will quite simply never ever measure up against Industry careers. Scientists (in contrast perhaps to scientific administrative staff) are in it for the Science, not for the paycheck. On the other hand, you'd be working for all Mankind instead of doing your part to get one rich guy that much richer.

Check NASA summer jobs, and indeed summer job openings at any science facility near you - it's a great way to get a foot in the door and see if what actually goes on in their labs and facilities is what you're interested in.

And if you want Science AND money, then perhaps look at Space-X. They'll be expanding dramatically before long. But they'll be extremely picky.

First of all, its absolutely true that the brains in all Science fields are not in it for the money. Same as Academia. The paychecks in Science and Academia will quite simply never ever measure up against Industry careers. Scientists (in contrast perhaps to scientific administrative staff) are in it for the Science, not for the paycheck. On the other hand, you'd be working for all Mankind instead of doing your part to get one rich guy that much richer.

Mostly true. I was objecting to the statement that everyone working at NASA is in it for the adventure/glory/greater good/whatever, and no one was there because it's what they do to get a paycheck. I know there are some that are there because they like it, or they feel it's where they need to be. My father was looking for something else in January of '86, but decided he owed it to friends to stay and do what he could. He stayed for two decades, until he decided that management wasn't as fun as engineering. My mother, on the other hand, retired as soon as she could.

My office:

Me; happy with my job.

Coworker: he seems rather happy, too. I know he's turned down one offer to move within the company.

OtherDepartment[1]: she's going for a degree so she can move on to other things.

OtherDepartment[2]: she's quite often talking about going back to real estate, where she can make more money. She doesn't seem to trust the place to not fall apart, though.

OtherDepartment[3]: she's working there as a second job to fund her shopping habit.

OtherDepartment[4]: he just finished up a degree and is actively looking for a job elsewhere making much more.

If anyone else finds this and wants advice or answers about joining the Air Force, I can help. Easily half of my Facebook friends are still in, and I got out recently enough that I'm pretty sure I can answer any questions you may have. Hit me up if you need it. I can speak generally about the other services about recruiting and the ASVAB testing and physical process, but am really at home talking about the who Air Force process.

If I can't answer it, one of my friends can and I'll ask them for you. A special deal for my Kerbal Space Program family.

I think some of the best things to do is speak with a recruiter. I to am 17, and am planning on joining the air force. I am going in, because I would never be able to pay for college, and would like the GI bill. And I am going to be honest I am going to be an astronaut. Now let me make this clear, I said I am, not that I will try, am. This is my ultimate goal, and I shall settle for nothing less. Even if I have to throw away millions to billions of dollars, I will become an astronaut. What I plan on doing, and Llez, if you would like, you can follow, is go into the air force right after high school, as an enlisted, working in either aerospace engineer, or pad technician. Neither require you to be an officer. From there I will use the GI bill to go to college. I have not chosen a specific one, but I have decided that it must offer a degree in either astronautics, which is a real field, in fact Buzz Aldrin had his doctorate in it before he became an astronaut, or aerospace engineering. From their I will return to the air force as an officer, and fly their U2 in California. After receiving the 2000 jet hours needed, I will then make my first application in with NASA to become an astronaut. If they do not accept me, I will spend the next 2 years continually flying the U2, but applying every few months, just to ensure that I will get the job. If I do not have it by the end of the 2 years, I will return to college, getting my masters in geology, and astronomy. When I finish school, I will apply to be an astronaut again and again, all the while, I will work were ever I am needed. Not a job at a fast food joint or a supermarket, but a place that I can enjoy working for a little while, until I become an astronaut.

I pretty much caution everyone I meet who thinks of joining to take what your recruiter tells you with a grain of salt. They aren't going to outright lie to you like in the movie Stripes, but they likely won't tell you everything you need to know. Or even answer all your questions with 100% truth. With our current manning overages though, they'll tend to do just enough to make their quota and then coast.

That said, I wish you good luck in your plan. If you'd like to explore some of those Enlisted to Officer options, let me know. I know of quite a few of them because I also had a plan that was very similar. There are quite a few ways to do it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.