YouTube Series- How To Make A Kerbal Space Program Mod

EsvDefcon

If you've ever wanted to make your own Kerbal Space Program mod, but you don't know where to start, then I'm putting together a YouTube series to show you how! You can find the first episode below, and keep checking back for new tutorials! I'd love to hear some feedback below, and please remember that I'll be completing this entire series within the next two weeks!

Episode 1- 3D Modelling

Edited by EsvDefcon

Nice video, I just watch a few snippets for now so I just hope you'll cover all existing "holes"/dark areas of modding (lights and wheels for example), it would be great. And don't forget to think like someone who don't know what you know :cool: (avoiding the "do this is very simple, trust me", maybe by trying to do what you say from scratch again by strictly following what you said).

Nice video, I just watch a few snippets for now so I just hope you'll cover all existing "holes"/dark areas of modding (lights and wheels for example), it would be great. And don't forget to think like someone who don't know what you know :cool: (avoiding the "do this is very simple, trust me", maybe by trying to do what you say from scratch again by strictly following what you said).

Thanks! I've just finished recording the second episode, and I'll probably also do episode 3 now, and I'm trying to make it as easy-to-follow as possible :)

Are these for beginners or more advanced?

I'd like to see a full landing gear tutorial sometime. I mean full, like shock absorbers, torque arms, hydrolics animations, steering, etc

I'm with this guy. I learn way faster through video than I do via reading, and a video set like this is perfect. (I could also get me outta that 'just pretending to know what I'm doing' phase).

hmm are you going to cover UV mapping a some point because all the other tutorials i have seen on the subject, i could not understand? I hope this helps many budding modders as they try to make their ideas a reality :)

I liked it. Looking forward to more. I'm a very visual learner, and walls of text don't work on me.

I've watched others in the past and managed a very basic fuel tank but then gave up as I was having a very hard time trying to figure out how to do the things I really wanted to do, like landing gear, lights, IVA's etc

Thanks! I've just finished recording the second episode, and I'll probably also do episode 3 now, and I'm trying to make it as easy-to-follow as possible :)

You're welcome.

Could you just please slow down a bit :), you speak a little bit too fast (have you an appointment soon after ? :P)

Are these for beginners or more advanced?

I'd like to see a full landing gear tutorial sometime. I mean full, like shock absorbers, torque arms, hydrolics animations, steering, etc

They're completely for beginners- I'm going to be doing a very basic series on making a fuel tank which will cover everything that you need to know, and then I'll be doing one-off episodes on specific parts (engines, solar panels, etc.)

You're welcome.

Could you just please slow down a bit :), you speak a little bit too fast (have you an appointment soon after ? :P)

Hahaha, you're right :) Everyone always says that I talk way too fast and I guess I do, so I'll try and slow down a bit :P

Awesome videos! I really like your approach and explanation of your process. Thanks for making them. The other ones I've looked at seemed either out of date or the creator assumed their audience already possessed some knowledge and experience (which I don't). I'm inspired to give this a shot myself!

• 2 weeks later...
This is great. I have been wanting to write some C# code but I don't know how to setup the Unity environment for compiling.

If you just want a plugin only mod, this is pretty easy. I'm a linux guy so I use monodevelop (available on windows/mac too), here's how to set it up:

1. install monodevelop
  2. open it up and create a new empty project and solution
  3. open the project properties and set the target framework to .net 3.5 (ksp/unity doesn't use .net 4.0 yet)
  4. add a reference to Assembly-CSharp.dll and UnityEngine.dll found in the ksp/KSP_Data/Managed/ directory
  5. start coding

Bonus points for using a framework like the one written by triggerau.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.