Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

Maybe enlarge the link and the hint even more, so people with hyperactive scrolling fingers WILL see...

I'll have the proper release out soon, either today or tomorrow.

Everything has been updated for KIS and I've gone through the code and cleaned everything up (made a huge difference).

I've just got to test with the various life support mods and DMagic and we'll be set.

Version 1.1.0.1 released

This is the full update for KSP 1.0

Not all the mods that work with Universal Storage has been updated to 1.0 but I've tested everything as much as I can.

Download available on Kerbal Stuff. CKAN should update overnight.

Change Log

This version will break your saves from earlier version of Universal Storage.

• Updated to KSP 1.0.
  • New node logic in Stock means mounting wedges now much easier.
  • Updated to KIS (KAS no longer supported).
  • Science bay is now KIS grabbable when empty (thanks KIS).
  • Part.cfg files renamed to be unique for the part. Makes searching easier.
  • Vastly improved the layout of .cfg files to make it easier to see what's going on.
  • Older part names updated to new style.
  • Installation instructions and Licence now in a single document
  • Removed optional files and mod development kit to simplify installation. These will be published on www.kingtiger.co.uk later.

Paul, could you give your wedges a higher thermal limit? The wedges stick out over the heat shield of the craft (at least 1.25m shield and 4 wedge part filled) and start to explode on reentry. A higher thermal limit or may be some ablation to soak some of the added heat would be very nice.

Thank you for the excellent mod and the updates.

Edited by SyberSmoke

KSP 1.0?? I've been gone for far too long!

Yes, thanks a ton Paul for keeping this alive in my absence; I kinda dropped the ball through work and health and life and all those other excuses that happen in the real world.

Love to get back into it again but i'm totally out of the loop with all these changes to the game and the modding community - kinda daunting after six months of nothing. What have I missed? :)

Yes, thanks a ton Paul for keeping this alive in my absence; I kinda dropped the ball through work and health and life and all those other excuses that happen in the real world.

Love to get back into it again but i'm totally out of the loop with all these changes to the game and the modding community - kinda daunting after six months of nothing. What have I missed? :)

New heat system, you can burn up and die. New Aero system, things can fly better, but turn to fast and you die...rockets especially. New stock resource system (Thanks you RoverDude), mine ore and make fuel...Dying is optional. And more...much much more.

New heat system, you can burn up and die. New Aero system, things can fly better, but turn to fast and you die...rockets especially. New stock resource system (Thanks you RoverDude), mine ore and make fuel...Dying is optional. And more...much much more.

Wow, a ton then. Sounds like I need a few weeks to get my head around a brand new game!

Paul, could you give your wedges a higher thermal limit? The wedges stick out over the heat shield of the craft (at least 1.25m shield and 4 wedge part filled) and start to explode on reentry. A higher thermal limit or may be some ablation to soak some of the added heat would be very nice.

Thank you for the excellent mod and the updates.

Yes I will be. Enceos has released a great guide to the new heating system and I'll be applying the information in that guide to the parts.

I'm also going to take the opportunity to have a moan at Squad regarding the temperature. First of all their laissez–faire approach to units in game; speed is measured in meters per second, is says right there. Temperature? Oh you have to guess the units!

It also doesn't help when the use celsius in 0.90 and change to Kelvin in 1.0 without mentioning it. It's also bizarre that even the most delicate parts in stock have a failure temperature higher than the melting point of Aluminium alloy (as used in real space ships). This makes it hard to balance against the laws of physics when Kerbals can produce the strongest plastics and metals ever known.

The long and the short of this is I have to balance Universal Storage to match the unrealistic stock parts. Meanwhile muttering to myself about KSP's realistic physics being pretty damn selective about how realistic they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome back :)

Modelling wise not a massive amount has changed. We've got a stock resource module now so Universal Storage works with less dependencies. There is also a .dds loader in the stock game so the textures can be in that format for faster loading times (I've already covered all the US stuff to .ddc. Unity 5 has been released but there's some work to be done before KSP can be ported over.

The biggest update the Universal Storage has been the use of module manager to detect what mods you have installed and configuring / creating US parts to match. That means you only have a single pack with the part selection entirely dependent on what mods you have installed. The great thing about that is that we can support ton more life support mods without having hundreds of packs. Oh and we use KIS now instead of KAS.

Hello,

Sadly I only use a few parts out of this great MOD; mostly due to memory as I have alot of MODS.

I would think the size should fit and look good rather than change heating values.

I had wierd problems trying to get modules to work; some day I will get back at it to include a few more of these great awesome looking parts...

Ed: I see that CRP is in here; how do we know which is the latest version; always go to CRP thread?

Cmdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta

Dying isn't so much optional, :D Staying alive is optional, if you're good enough. :sticktongue:

Version 1.1.0.2 released

Minor release to improve thermal stats

Thanks to Enceos' excellent heat guide I was able to add some stats to the parts and adjust others to make them more heat proof.

This should allow wedges to shed heat quicker (using their black cooling fins) and I've added insulation so they heat up slower.

Processors still produce a lot of heat though, especially the Sabatier reactor which requires temperatures around 600k to work. How this translates in game will require further testing and tweaking (yay new game mechanic with little documentation!)

Change log

* Changed the maxtemp of all parts to 1200k (even though this is higher than the melting point of Aluminium Alloy (why Squad, why?)

* Added emissiveConstant = 0.95 to all wedges. This represents the black cooling fins on the wedge structures and will help your wedges dissipate heat quickly.

* Added thermalMassModifier = 4.0 to all wedges. This represents thermal insulation in the wedge helping to keep it cooler for longer.

* Adjusted heat creation of processors to represent real life figures. This is subject the testing and will probably be adjusted in future patches.

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

Version 1.1.0.2 released

* Changed the maxtemp of all parts to 1200k (even though this is higher than the melting point of Aluminium Alloy (why Squad, why?)

Kaluminium is sturdy stuff don't you know XD

Just downloaded the new 1.1.0.2 version. What happened to the human consumption rate TACLS options?

As mentioned in the 1.1.0.1 change log, I've removed all the optional files to make installation easier. I'll be releasing those optional files separately.

As mentioned in the 1.1.0.1 change log, I've removed all the optional files to make installation easier. I'll be releasing those optional files separately.

Aha, so that's what that change log meant. Thanks for the reply!

KSP 1.0.1 has just been released which may mean some tweaks here. I'm not going to have a lot of free time over the weekend, so unlikely to release an update until Monday.

That's not so bad though, it will us more time to collect feedback so that the next update is the final one for a while.

(yay new game mechanic with little documentation!)

But but but...if they told us how it worked....then it would take all the fun out of the hours of bashing your head against a monitor figuring out what they did. Heh

Edit: As a side thought, I would like to put forward an idea for something. Right now all of the wedges are connected to one another via the three cores. Have you considered making those cores into heat sumps/heat pipes? So as the wedges take on heat, the cores try to pull that heat away. Then it can be dissipated over time...but could also backfire if they take to much blowing your ship in half.

To add to this, I would also put forward a single wedge, a heat sink. When closed it does not radiate heat. But when you open the wedge and deploy it, it stretches out a heat sink (with in reason of coarse) that can be used to disperse the stored heat in the ship or in the heat sumps.

Thank you for the mod and keep it up.

Edited by SyberSmoke

Edit: As a side thought, I would like to put forward an idea for something. Right now all of the wedges are connected to one another via the three cores. Have you considered making those cores into heat sumps/heat pipes? So as the wedges take on heat, the cores try to pull that heat away. Then it can be dissipated over time...but could also backfire if they take to much blowing your ship in half.

To add to this, I would also put forward a single wedge, a heat sink. When closed it does not radiate heat. But when you open the wedge and deploy it, it stretches out a heat sink (with in reason of coarse) that can be used to disperse the stored heat in the ship or in the heat sumps.

I think you'd need to be careful about making the cores heat exchangers. I like the idea a lot, but in many situations it would require that you have a radiator wedge in there to keep the other wedges from blowing up. Whether to use a heat conductive core or not seems like a design decision during build, suggesting having two versions of each part - or having one that can be tweaked.

And a vote for a USI-LS wedge as part of the optional part package. I suspect USI-LS will be quite popular.

since updating im coming up with missing part errors, US.cHub.Quadcore and some others, any ideas?

Yep, Version 1.1.0.1 will break any game saves using earlier versions of Universal Storage.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you'd need to be careful about making the cores heat exchangers. I like the idea a lot, but in many situations it would require that you have a radiator wedge in there to keep the other wedges from blowing up. Whether to use a heat conductive core or not seems like a design decision during build, suggesting having two versions of each part - or having one that can be tweaked.

And a vote for a USI-LS wedge as part of the optional part package. I suspect USI-LS will be quite popular.

I've done some heat testing with the new tools available and heat does spread to the other wedges but slowly.

Oh and USI-LS is coming, I'm waiting for a name change for Roverdude's life support DLL as it's currently the same as another mod which screws our mod detection MM file. Roverdude has already agreed to change it when he next updates his mod :)

I don't know if it is important, I see this in the log:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1C10_Wedge_Quadcore/US_1C10_Wedge_Quadcore/US_1C10_Wedge_Quadcore'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Invalid value length for Vector3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.