[1.1.2]Aerojet Kerbodyne 3.0 (4/29/16 Better FX, still good for 1.1.2)

blackheart612

Thanks for posting it here MeCripp, definitely gotta include that on next release

May I ask if you really want to use the service tank with that adapter? I can probably find a way to fit them but that service module fits the bigger engine + high adapter. The other tank has its own set and they have their respective fairings. I don't know if that is the answer to that issue but, it's worth a shot.

I've been trying it with all the combos of adapter/engine etc. The problem is mostly that the attach point seems to be a bit off, sort of like the way KW pieces were offset after 0.25 (a workaround to a bug in vanilla I believe that was fixed). I've not seen it have any effect on the way it preforms in game, but it is a bit odd.

Could you make a version that doesn't include the service modules and all the stuff SDHI already has? It would be so cool.

So what you want is just the 1 tank and engine ? Why can't you just delete what you don't what to use why should he have to keep up with more stuff just for you to have maybe 2 more parts well 3, after all he did a great job on all of it and, I have them both install and the rest of his mods and more, But really not to be rube but that just makes more work for them after all they have do just because you can't delete parts you don't want.

Edited by Mecripp2

In real world rocketry, most upper stages actually have attitude control thrusters. Reaction control wheels just do not have quite the torque necessary to sufficiently control heavy upper stages like the DCSS, especially when it's still in the atmosphere and time is somewhat of the essence.

You can watch videos on YouTube of Delta IV launches to try and get an idea of where the attitude control thrusters are located. This one, for instance, gives a pretty good view of it in the animation of the second stage, which starts at about 4:50 into the video.

From what I can tell, the thrusters are located 45 degrees off of what might be considered the "top" of the stage if one were to follow the stage in chase cam in KSP. The thrusters also appear to be angled at 45 degrees, such that two in total point in each direction (up, down, left, and right). Hope this helps.

In real world rocketry, most upper stages actually have attitude control thrusters. Reaction control wheels just do not have quite the torque necessary to sufficiently control heavy upper stages like the DCSS, especially when it's still in the atmosphere and time is somewhat of the essence.

You can watch videos on YouTube of Delta IV launches to try and get an idea of where the attitude control thrusters are located. This one, for instance, gives a pretty good view of it in the animation of the second stage, which starts at about 4:50 into the video.

From what I can tell, the thrusters are located 45 degrees off of what might be considered the "top" of the stage if one were to follow the stage in chase cam in KSP. The thrusters also appear to be angled at 45 degrees, such that two in total point in each direction (up, down, left, and right). Hope this helps.

Youve inspired me to add linear thrusters to the Aerojet Kerbodyne uppers in Chaka

Youve inspired me to add linear thrusters to the Aerojet Kerbodyne uppers in Chaka

That would be fantastic! Animations of the Centaur stage show a similar placement of thrusters on them as well, so I would imagine that the trend would continue for the as-yet unbuilt upper stages in your mod, YANFRET.

I think it would be easy to do with the stock RCS. I can not do it because I can not clearly see it. However, if somebody can clarify the look of it and where it is on the upper stage, I will gladly add it maybe even along with the monoprop tanks on the Truss.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15724.0;attach=113843;image

That video is what I watched before, so I made my own DCSS replica like this one.

I didn`t make any effort to get it a real shape, but only to make it proper looking attitude control system.

(from 12:40 it shows my 4m DCSS turning around)

This is my best, but obviously it doesn`t look real.

I tried to find out exactly where are those RCSs put, but couldn`t find proper information.

+ AS EFT-1 implies, DCSS should be re-ignited several times in the middle of flight,

so I think there must be a ullage engine or something but it`s hard to find out either.

+ I think it would be perfect if your ICPS tank shroud have reaction wheel or some avionics(probe core) inside,

although I don`t know it`s real or not.

I think it would be easy to do with the stock RCS. I can not do it because I can not clearly see it. However, if somebody can clarify the look of it and where it is on the upper stage, I will gladly add it maybe even along with the monoprop tanks on the Truss.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15724.0;attach=113843;image

According to Boeing's Delta IV Payload Planning Guide

Hydrazine thrusters, which are used for attitude control, are located

on the equipment deck, aft of the main propellant tanks. Nozzles are pointed circumferentially

and aft.

This is found in Section 4.2.2.4 Stage Induced Thermal Environments.

The "Equipment Shelf" referred to is the truss structure between the engine and the bottom tank. In your pack, blackheart, this is currently the fairing you have appear upon attaching the engine to the bottom tank of your DCSS. The thrusters are located on the bottom part of this equipment shelf, and are pointed downward and around the circumference of the circle. There are 4 sets of thrusters.

Are there thrusters pointing sidewards as well? I saw on the vid.

How many are there? I am not much into reading but I tried finding how many there are on the pdf but didn't see.

Do know how the thruster looks like?

Unfortunately, I cannot find any more information on it. I'll keep looking, but I don't know where to get such in-depth information.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any more information on it. I'll keep looking, but I don't know where to get such in-depth information.

After a little more searching, I found that the DCSS uses 12 Aerojet-Rocketdyne MR-106 thrusters arranged in four separate rocket engine modules (REM) placed around the outside ring of the equipment shelf. The REM's are offset 45 degrees around the circumference (i.e. northeast, northwest, southeast, and southwest as opposed to north, south, east, and west) with the nozzles themselves facing at an angle of 45 degrees, such that two thrusters are facing in a cardinal direction. Each REM also has one aft-facing engine, making a total of 3 per module.

mrm106d.jpg

The REM is essentially the second cluster in this picture with a third nozzle pointing downward between the two lateral thrusters (or the first cluster minus one if you prefer :D). The thrusters themselves are very small, only producing 9N of force each, which is why it has been impossible to see them in any pictures of the DCSS that I could find.

I wanted to stop by to mention that I really enjoy the fact that the interior volume of the tanks depicted below (when I measured them to determine volume) are so close to the exact liters I need to fill one tank with ONLY liquid fuel and the other with ONLY oxidizer (using modular fuel tank/real fuels) and it works out nearly perfectly for my "trying to be realistic" installation.

I was using mostly new models with a couple old textures in this pic.

3D3zYT1.png

Great job.

My god, Razgirz1, what a wonder! How could you find them? I tried to find that for days!

Many Google searches and a hefty amount of procrastination. Also, I've been looking into internships at a few of these companies including Boeing and Aerojet-Rocketdyne, so I had already researched a bit about how all of these companies fit together before this came up.

I wanted to stop by to mention that I really enjoy the fact that the interior volume of the tanks depicted below (when I measured them to determine volume) are so close to the exact liters I need to fill one tank with ONLY liquid fuel and the other with ONLY oxidizer (using modular fuel tank/real fuels) and it works out nearly perfectly for my "trying to be realistic" installation.

I was using mostly new models with a couple old textures in this pic.

http://i.imgur.com/3D3zYT1.png

Great job.

That looks great, got my eyes quickly :)

Many Google searches and a hefty amount of procrastination. Also, I've been looking into internships at a few of these companies including Boeing and Aerojet-Rocketdyne, so I had already researched a bit about how all of these companies fit together before this came up.

Nevertheless, it's awesome you are here. I should put up something like that when I have time. Thanks a lot :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.