[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

I've been using ScienceAlert for a while without issue. After I built a decently heavily modded install, I've been getting spotty results from SA where it would sometimes alert me to new science, but would often also miss alerts on several parts that should be pretty easily caught. Among the mods I'm using that would heavily affect science are: Dmagic Science, Station Science, Universal Storage. Would any of these cause science alert to not work correctly?

Judging by a previous poster's exceptions, it looks like somehow a bug has wormed its way into a piece of code I changed despite all the precautions I took. I would say the bug is most likely in SA itself and those other mods aren't causing any issues at this point. Hunting it now

Hi xEvilReeperx,

I love your mod. It is a must on all career games. I have recently been playing in the New Horizons solar system and I have a feeling it is confusing SA. Even though I may be just orbiting Kerbin, 1/2 the time SA shows "Data not found" on the alert window...

And... I just found an entry about that reading with ScanSat enabled. :) Just turned ScanSat integration off and everything started working as expected.

So this is a fairly recent feature. Awesome! May I suggest that you mention what "Data not found" means in the OP?

I installed science alert on a copy of KSP that I had already installed and uninstalled ScienceAlert (Using ckan).

However, the reinstalled science alert does not work or even appear in the toolbar.

I tried deleting the ScienceAlert folder from the gamedata folder of ksp before reinstalling, but no luck.

Here is my log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B58_NsfDEebxbTlFYkd0QWFzcEU/view?usp=sharing

Great mod, hard to imagine playing without it.

Edited by herman

I installed science alert on a copy of KSP that I had already installed and uninstalled ScienceAlert (Using ckan).

However, the reinstalled science alert does not work or even appear in the toolbar.

This is your problem:

[EXC 13:40:46.292] ArgumentException: 'Tekto' is not a valid CelestialBody.
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseCelestialBodyValue (System.String celestialName)
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseSingleValue[CelestialBody] (System.String key, System.String stringValue, Boolean allowExpression)
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[CelestialBody] (.ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, Boolean allowExpression)
ContractConfigurator.BiomeTracker.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node)
ScenarioModule.Load (.ConfigNode node)
ScenarioRunner.AddModule (.ConfigNode node)
ProtoScenarioModule.Load (.ScenarioRunner host)
ScenarioRunner+.MoveNext ()

ScienceAlert is actually running, it's just forever waiting on its own ScenarioModule which never gets initialized due to this exception.

I've reported it to the author. In the meantime, you might be able to remove the offending names from your persistence file to get it working again, or else wait for a fix.

You're a genius. I think the same thing might actually be interfering with my Scansat install as well, (I know you're not the one to tell about this). I removed OPM because of a solar panel glitch, and it didn't play nice on removals. I'll try what you said and get back to you.

Are you a professional programmer?

EDIT: Just tried cutting out the TEKTO entry from my persistant file. Problem is solved, at least for science alert. Haven't tried scansat again.

Edited by herman

Thanks for the bug report guys, this should be fixed for Contract Configurator 1.5.2. I forgot to add in the exception handling logic that I usually add to every scenario module to prevent this type of wide-spread breakage (that Squad should have in their code...). Sorry about that!

Thanks for the bug report guys, this should be fixed for Contract Configurator 1.5.2. I forgot to add in the exception handling logic that I usually add to every scenario module to prevent this type of wide-spread breakage (that Squad should have in their code...). Sorry about that!

Great! Thanks for the mod!

Hey Evil, thanks for the amazing mod! I know you do this on your free time but I was wondering if there was something I could do on my end to fix the exception that is being generated? Without your mod, its no use playing in career mode. :)

I have no idea on the steps, the problem is it wont pop up with the indication that new science is available. I can manually click on the parts and store/transmit science.

For science mods I am using:

Universal Storage

Dmagic Orbital Science

Scan Sat

SETI - Community Tech Tree

Science Alert

MechJeb

Those are all the mods I have installed that directly effect science or add parts.

Here is the craft file of the ship that I was using when your mod stopped working: clicky

Could it be a problem with the save game file? I started a new career on 7/9 and thats when the problem started.

Hope this helps

So for some reason the ScienceAlert button in the toolbar dissapeared for me. I first noticed it when I moved a kopernicus.dll hotfix into the gamedata folder, which has nothing to do with ScienceAlert.

I went into the settings.cfg and changed to BlizzysToolbar instead, but it didn't show up there either. Has anyone else experienced this?

I checked the output log and it said this:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ScienceAlert.ScienceAlert.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by Olsson

Ok uninstalled SA through CKAN and deleted the SA folder. I then reinstalled SA through CKAN.

I started the same saved game, launched the same ship with a new science module that I knew would generate science. SA popped up an alert on the KSC pad for the gravoli detector. When I hit orbit SA did not generate any alerts for new science from the gravoli detector. I then reverted back to launch, exited the game and made the settings change in the config file. I then repeated the same steps and got the same results.

Here is the log

Here is the updated craft file with the new science modules installed

Toolbar

ATM

Ambient Light Adjustment

Chatter

Community Resource Pack

CTT

Contract configurator

Contract Filter

Dmagic orbital science

Raster PropMonitor

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

KSP-AVC

MechJeb

Docking Port Alignment Indicator

RCS buildaid

ScanSat

Science Alert

SETIctt

SmokeScreen

Stock Bug Fix Modules

Stock Clamshell Fairings

TAC fuel Balancer

Kerbal Alarm Clock

KSP Alternate Rescource Panel

TweakScale

Universal Storage

ModuleManager

Hope this helps

I then reverted back to launch, exited the game and made the settings change in the config file. I then repeated the same steps and got the same results.

Great, thanks! The log led me straight to the suspicious bit and revealed why I couldn't reproduce your results with your craft: a missing transmitter (maybe you have a config patch that adds one?).

Anyway, this should take care of the problem. It's probably fairly widespread so once I get your confirmation that the issue is fixed, I'll release it right away

Download 1.8.9

So for some reason the ScienceAlert button in the toolbar dissapeared for me. I first noticed it when I moved a kopernicus.dll hotfix into the gamedata folder, which has nothing to do with ScienceAlert.

Is there anything suspicious in the log? Any exception that has something to do with ScenarioRunner is usually the cause. Post your output_log and I'll have a look

Is there anything suspicious in the log? Any exception that has something to do with ScenarioRunner is usually the cause. Post your output_log and I'll have a look

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5iht89g3khmjw91/output_log.txt?dl=0

There's my log. That said I do have quite a few mods and after replacing a Kopernicus.dll with a new hotfix the issue started.

I replaced the old dll with the hotfix because I had issues with solar panels not generating electric charge even when in sun exposure. It fixed my problem, at the trade off that sciencealert stopped working.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5iht89g3khmjw91/output_log.txt?dl=0

There's my log. That said I do have quite a few mods and after replacing a Kopernicus.dll with a new hotfix the issue started.

I had to download the log twice, so powerful was the deja-vu! You have exactly the same issue herman had. All you need to do is update ContractConfigurator to 1.5.2 and you'll be all set

I had to download the log twice, so powerful was the deja-vu! You have exactly the same issue herman had. All you need to do is update ContractConfigurator to 1.5.2 and you'll be all set

Thanks bro, now I can finally send my first mun probe and crash into the mun in my new career.

TLDR...

Love the mod! Only issue is taking an EVA report, then storing it in the capsule, as soon as I go EVA again this mod gives me an alert for the same science, since I don't have the report on me, and haven't turned it in yet. Other than that it's awesome!

Hi xEvilReeperx!

I am glad to use this mod extensively. My thanks’ and I hope for continuation =)

Now I have to report a problem similar to reported here: https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/3bksbz/psa_memory_leak_in_sciencealert_mod_ksp_104/

Have you, by chance, look at the issue already?

In my case, memory drop ~300 - 400 Mb upon return KSC. Random event – hard to reproduce, but regular.

Without mod problem stop to appear (was not able to test extensively – reinstalled, can’t do without this mod in hard mod career =))