[0.25/0.90] Better Atmospheres [V5 - June 14th, 2014]

Thesonicgalaxy

Alright, here's my thoughts on the V5 update:

1: Jool with rings? AWESOME! Although the rings could be a bit more colourful, they're quite dull currently.

2: New Laythe and Eve auroras? Awesome too!

3: I liked the old Jool clouds better. Those yellow-ish bands just looked really good, IMO. Will we get an alternative version with those bands still present?

4: I like the KittopiaTech rings better, but there shouldn't be asteroids in them - at least not so many.

5: I liked the Duna from V4 better.

also in my opinion the new rings you showed are way too large, makes the planet look like a fat belly. i would appericate a dim and slim ring though , just like the real jupiter has.

as for duna, i think the current one is good but clear white clouds on a red planet with only white thing is solid ice is weird, i think duna would look best if clouds has the same map as currently, has a reddish tone not too red that we cant clearly see it and confuse its edges with the ground, but too white to look weird, i will leave the crrect colour tone ( as its the only thing neeeds changing in my opinion )to your profession, keep up the good work,

Yeah, I was going to change it but I'd rather wait until people are good with this idea instead of spending all my time on something people don't want.

I tried using Better Atmospheres with the following mods and got the following crash report.

Mods

• Toolbar
  • Atmospheric Sound Enhancement
  • ActiveTextureManagement
  • City Lights and Clouds
  • Chatterer
  • CoolRockets
  • Deadly Re-Entry
  • Distant Object Enhancement
  • Engineer
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements
  • Ferram Aerospace Research
  • Final Frontier
  • Firespitter Plugin
  • Force IVA
  • JSI
  • KAS
  • KerbalJointReinforcement
  • KerbQuake
  • Kethane
  • Klockheed_Martin
  • KSPRC
  • MechJeb2
  • MechJeb2RPM
  • MP_Nazari
  • NavBallTextureExport
  • NothkeSerCom
  • Precise Node
  • Procedural Fairings
  • Procedural Parts
  • RCS Sounds
  • Real Chute
  • SCANsatRPM
  • Select Root
  • SH_mods
  • Ship Manifest
  • SmokeScreen
  • SoundtrackEditor
  • Stock Rebalance
  • Texture Replacer
  • TAC Life Support
  • Mk3 IVA
  • Vessel View
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock
  • Module Manager 1.5.7

Crash Report

What should I do?

-Duxwing

Crash Report

What should I do?

-Duxwing

Could not allocate memory: System out of memory! It would appear that you are running out of memory. You might wanna try using the aggressive version of ActiveTextureManagement if you aren't already.

3: I liked the old Jool clouds better. Those yellow-ish bands just looked really good, IMO. Will we get an alternative version with those bands still present?

4: I like the KittopiaTech rings better, but there shouldn't be asteroids in them - at least not so many.

1. I'll ask Erona, see if he can produce another texture for a yellowish band.

2.The ring asteroids are track able. So if you don't alot of them you don't have to track alot of them, or even install them if you don't want it.

I've also been messing around with the rings. Would you guys like different colors like this, if so, what colors? IMO I didn't like the one color.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

The rings look really dark in those images. If I hadn't been looking for them I probably would have missed them in the first image.

Can you make it look like they're reflecting light more from Jool along the innermost ring and more from Kerbol on the outermost ring? In those images I think I'm seeing the innermost ring as slightly greener, but it's really hard to tell.

The rings are awesome! Just make the textures a bit brighter - like the real Saturn. Also, you could narrow down the rings a bit so they are tighter in around Jool. Maybe you could even make them a bit green!

Saturn_PIA06077.jpg

Also - do the rings fade away as you get close to them? I'm assuming they do, because they might look strange if you get too close to them.

If memory serves, Saturn has an axial tilt of about 26 degrees, though it's never evident in any of its pictures because of the lack of a reference point.

Is it possible to give the clouds' axis of rotation a tilt to match the inclination of the rings? It might make them look less weird.

If memory serves, Saturn has an axial tilt of about 26 degrees, though it's never evident in any of its pictures because of the lack of a reference point.

Is it possible to give the clouds' axis of rotation a tilt to match the inclination of the rings? It might make them look less weird.

Video-makers may not like this because the clouds will still rotate at 0 inclination which will still look weird when time-warping, but for still images it will definitely help give the planet the appearance of an axial tilt

Is it really not possible to tilt the planet axis? Given that the game doesn't model precession or anything complex like that, simply rotating the planet over on one of its axis shouldn't be a problem... Although that would prob require a DLL mod which isn't really a focus of this mod in particular...

Edited by Gaiiden

No axial tilt isn't possible in KSP. This has been thoroughly discussed in the RSS thread multiple times, the only way to simulate it when it comes to seasons is changing the orbit inclination, which is how RSS does it so that Earth has the correct seasons.

Yes, they look very nice from afar, but what about close up? Do they still have particles like the old ones or is it just a texture plane? That's my main concern for any rings that are implemented in the game.

I'm still very much looking forward to the update, though :D

1. I'll ask Erona, see if he can produce another texture for a yellowish band.

2.The ring asteroids are track able. So if you don't alot of them you don't have to track alot of them, or even install them if you don't want it.

Alright, sounds great! If no alternative Jool textures gets made, I'll just move the old one over from V4 to V5. That shouldn't be too much trouble... or maybe it would, I have no idea.

You hit the nail on the head with those new Joolian rings! The wibbly wobbly rings aren't anything to be worried about in my opinion. Some people might complain it's too fast and flashy, but so are the orbits of the moons of Jool as you timewarp in. :sticktongue:

It all looks so epic I'm getting scared of what you might do next to blow us away once again!

Edited by Andrew Hansen

zomg guys i made it back safe and sound. Spent most of my days at Disney World, 5 of them in fact, but managed to get to go to KSC, riding the Shuttle Launch Experience, taking one of the bus tours, got two signed autographs, got some model rockets, and overall had a great time there too.

I've seen some questions about release date, so I'll go ahead and ask now, would you guys rather us wait for the new EVE version so we can implement the new Sunrises, or would you rather a couple of days, then I release it anyway? The only thing that will be missing if I release sooner is the sunrise/sets.

Work will resume as normal tomorrow, for now though *Falls back into bed*.

Personally I'd rather have the earlier release, as V5 of your mod seems, at least to me, to give far greater improvements than EVE's sunrises and sunsets. I'd be more than happy to wait longer for those and get the rest sooner.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.