Intercept incoming craft on collision course with Kerban

Ok, my challenge is this. Save Jebadiah Kerman, who is on course to collide with kerban. You need a rocket that can reach him, rendezvous, take him aboard and bring him back to kerban safely.

The scenario files are here:

I have a quicksave file for starting altitudes of 1,2, and 3 thousand km. The lower the altitude, the harder it is.

1000km http://www.filedropper.com/1000_1

2000km http://www.filedropper.com/2000km

3000km http://www.filedropper.com/3000km

The scoring system is as follows:

-The lower the score, the higher in ranking you are

-Jebediah(yea, not the same character from the story I know) will crash at 21:57:48 MET time(The time that goes with your warp function)

-For every minute after this time that it takes you to get Jebadiah to the ground safely, a 100 points is added

-For every Minute faster than this(although I don't see how this is possible) 1,000 points is subtracted

---Starting points for level of difficulty achieved

*1000km = -1,000,000

*2000km = -100,000

*3000km = -10,000

And the multipliers for points(not including starting points, e.g. land 5 min after crash time in 1000km difficulty, means 500 points X100= 50,000 additional points, equaling -950,000 points total) are as follows

*1000km = X100

*2000km = X10

*3000km = x1

Back Story: I had Bob Kerman On an ion powered craft that was headed for eve, that, er, spontaneously exploded due to Bob using bits of metal as fuses... again. What remained useable was the second stage(in space, it had two stages, the lower one with several ion engines to provide a bearable amount of thrust), and 2 small solar panels(the other solar panels also exploded). A heroic effort involving waiting over 4 years, throttling down to 45% thrust, and inching towards kerban at the world record slowest speed, almost saved our brave kerbalnaut... However, doom was soon to befall him, as he slightly, er, undershot the planet(or overshot?) and ended up on a collision course with kerban. Seeing as 45% thrust wasn't enough to establish an orbit once the error was discovered and there was no parachute on the spacecraft, Bill was doomed. Despite our best efforts of launching rockets randomly towards his direction when he was at an altitude of 500,000m, he died that day. This scenario is essentially a recreation of that fateful drop.

This should be feasible, I have been able to launch straight up towards a target, decelerate rapidly, and rapidly accelerate to over 4000 m/s in the opposite direction, then land the final stage with a parachute, with stock parts minus mecjeb(didn't even use it). That took me a little over 8 minutes total, the challenge being to rendezvous with the target within the short window period of time and transfer the crew.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by patfree14094

Hi patfree14094, I think your challenge could benefit immensely if you provided a scenario file with a craft already in a situation that entrants needed to save it from.

All you need to do is get a craft in a suitable orbit and quicksave, rename the quicksave and upload it somewhere, players can drop the file in their scenarios folder and try their best, and reset the scenario if things go wrong :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.