[1.0.5 - Alpha 6] Dang It! (12 september 2015)

Ippo

If you upgrade from alpha 3, the kerbals that are already in flight might not have the perks you need should a failure arise.

Believe it or not, I have no Kerbils in flight; that means I should be okay?

(The reason is: I've run mostly an unmanned space program all the way up to Tier 7 of the tech tree. I'm playing an "Ironman" sort of game, with no reloading/reverting, so I don't put a Kerbil at risk unless I have to. I'm using TAC Life Support and Remote Tech 2, not to mention 30 other mods, so I've been focused on getting my satellite network up around Kerbil and its moons, creating fuel depots, doing contracts, and otherwise laying infrastructure for the eventual creation of manned space stations and landings.)

Is it normal that I can't take spare parts or repair parts from the KSO mod even though they have the parts but I can't take or repair them?

I need some more details about this.

However, my first guess is that you need to increase the repair distance from the settings GUI. KSP computes the distance from the center of the part, not from its surface, which makes it tricky to interact with big parts. Please try increasing the distance and see if it works.

Believe it or not, I have no Kerbils in flight; that means I should be okay?

(The reason is: I've run mostly an unmanned space program all the way up to Tier 7 of the tech tree. I'm playing an "Ironman" sort of game, with no reloading/reverting, so I don't put a Kerbil at risk unless I have to. I'm using TAC Life Support and Remote Tech 2, not to mention 30 other mods, so I've been focused on getting my satellite network up around Kerbil and its moons, creating fuel depots, doing contracts, and otherwise laying infrastructure for the eventual creation of manned space stations and landings.)

Don't worry, alpha 4 is at least 2 weeks away, but more likely one month.

Also, brofist: I play hardcore with RT2 too ;)

I'm waiting to finish this play through to start RSS

I also just had trouble repairing a part. The oxygen in a TAC-Life Support module (containing oxygen, water, and food) started leaking, and it was glowing red, so I immediately went on EVA to fix it. But when I right-clicked on the part, it said "no damage", and I couldn't fix it. I tried EVA'ing all around it, but wherever I clicked, it said "no damage." Also, the part holds not just oxygen, but also food and water; is it supposed to leak only oxygen? But my main question is why I couldn't repair the leak. :(

oxygen.jpg

repair.jpg

The "no damage" thing comes from deadly reentry.

Same as above: try going closer / increasing the repair distance. You can do it with the settings button in the space center.

EXIT: also yes, only one resource will leak from each tank (it is selected randomly as the leak begins)

EDIT 2: also, when building your ship, click on the action group tab and then select the parachute, the window from real chute will come up and you can customize the size of the chute to match the capsule (and a lot more options).

Edited by Ippo

Thanks. Okay, I'll look at the repair-distance settings. I did climb right on the part to try to repair it -- i.e., I got closer than you see in that screenshot. And I didn't realize Deadly Re-entry was generating that 'no repair' message -- that's what threw me off the most.

Also, I didn't know that about RealChutes! So if I make that chute smaller, it will still work okay? (Not to get too far off-topic or anything.)

Thanks. Okay, I'll look at the repair-distance settings. I did climb right on the part to try to repair it -- i.e., I got closer than you see in that screenshot. And I didn't realize Deadly Re-entry was generating that 'no repair' message -- that's what threw me off the most.

Also, I didn't know that about RealChutes! So if I make that chute smaller, it will still work okay? (Not to get too far off-topic or anything.)

Yes, not only you can resize the casing, but also the chute itself. You should really play with the settings, it can do a lot of stuff.

Now back on topic :)

Ippo, I noticed you mentioned about spare parts and remote control items. Easiest way? Do a crew check. If the crew capacity is = 0 and it has a control module, it must be a remote device rather than a crewed vessel to put in spares to.

Ippo, I noticed you mentioned about spare parts and remote control items. Easiest way? Do a crew check. If the crew capacity is = 0 and it has a control module, it must be a remote device rather than a crewed vessel to put in spares to.

Sure, but how do you translate that into module manager syntax? I suspect that it's this:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:!HAS[#CrewCapacity[0]]]

But I haven't had time to try to see if it works.

Hello i'm having trouble repairing a TAC Life Suport tank... water is leaking but when i go eva and right click on the pod just "no damage" from deadly reentry. same on the tank.. so i increased the repair distance and now it shows all possible options in every part (to fix options) but there is no option to take spares.

EDIT: I tested on the launch pad and... there is a incompatibility with tweak scale mod, the pod with standard dimensions works (taking spares) but if i use tweak scale mod to increase dimension it doesn't work. i think is a distance problem... changing the method to take spares may fix this.

Edited by nick669

Are spare parts a rsource that can be moved about? Can they be? Like, what happens when an old satelite runs out of parts? Can more be brought up? Can if they are a resource.

They can't be moved like other resources, because they are a solid resource. They behave just like solid fuel: that is, no transfer, ever.

You can however move them manually by taking them for a spacewalk and depositing them into another part.

Hmm - so a part can't be moved from capsule A to capsule B, but parts from capsule B can repair a broken part on satellite A?

I guess if it were a real resource then the Kerbalnaut wouldn't be able to carry it. :(

No, you don't understand. They are a "real resource" - meaning that they are just implemented like any other resource you use in the stock game. The only difference is that I set the flow mode to NONE, just like SolidFuel, because they are a solid resource and thus it wouldn't make sense if you were able to "pump" it from one capsule to another one.

What you can do, though, is to go on EVA, take some spares from capsule A, then fly to capsule B, right click on it, and choose "Deposit spares". This will effectively move the spares from capsule A to B (well, from A to the kerbal and then from the kerbal to B).

If you really really want to be able to pump them, you can edit the resource definition to make them transferrable, but that is pretty much against the objective of this mod, that is "giving you more stuff to do on EVA".

Hello again, I tested most pods (take spares) and here are the results: 2.5m pods doesn't work from (from ladder of the pod). but when i get closer to bottom or top of it (i think closer to the connection green node) it works. Here some screenshots.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

i have several mods installed, i'll try the same with no mods later. maybe is only me with this problem.

Yes, thanks, it's an issue that many are having. It is due to the fact that I chose a default distance that is too strict.

KSP computes your distance from the centre of a part, instead that from its surface. So if you are interacting with a 2.5m part, you can never get closer to it that 1.125m, and the default distance I set is 1m. Try increasing the distance in the settings (you can access them from the space centre), it should fix the issue.

Edited by Ippo
typo

Hello, I checked the mod folder and there is a "ModuleManager.2.2.0.dll" (Kerbal Space Program\GameData\DangIt) i don't know if that makes trouble with my module manager file at: Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ (version 2.2.1) . I tried to delete it, copy my 2.2.1 module manager file in the folder and no changes. take spares option isn't showing when i'm o the pod's ladder. Anyways, here is my clean save game https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kwy5rpbdttm7wx/default.rar

Edited by nick669

Well, you have found an oversight on my part :)

You aren't doing anything wrong, it's the spares module that simply ignores the distance you set in the settings.

I will fix it in the next release (actually, I might even release a patch if I have the time), in the meantime I'm afraid that the only thing you can do is a savefile edit :/

Thank you for your feedback!

Also, planning / development for alpha 4 has started. Please pay attention to the warning in the OP: the next update will break saves. Well, not really (hopefully, at least), what I mean is that from the next update each kerbal will have to be trained before he can repair stuff. If you upgrade from alpha 3, the kerbals that are already in flight might not have the perks you need should a failure arise.

More details coming soonâ„¢.

Possible save breaks scare me. :-P I just want to make sure I understand what you're saying. It isn't so much that anything in the save will stop working, it's just that trained Kerbals wont be available until, well until they're trained. So after the update, it would just be a matter of training new Kerbals with the required skills and having them replace the current Kerbals in the field, who can then return to Kerbin and be trained themselves?

On a different note, WOW! I love this idea. I currently categorize my Kerbals in different 'fields,' but in-game the only difference is the color of their space suit. So this would make it meaningful!! Which leads to another question, which I shouldn't ask because you said more details will be coming, but I rarely do what I'm suppose to, so... if a current Kerbal gets a random skill that doesn't fit my current role for him/her, is it something I can change in the .cfg or within the game?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.