Taking off with an asteroid attached

Hi there!

After getting the NASA update I tried to first time capture an asteroid! I slowed it a bit and then placed it in LKO. After one of those "why not?" moments, I decided to attach several chutes to the rock, and land it. I got it to work, but I didn't worry about where to land it at the time, so after a quick deorbit burn, I ended up landing in the middle of nowhere:

iZ3G4PR.png

Good thing I first got a 0º inclination orbit before landing, so it's "mostly" aligned with KSC.

After 18 years of ingame time sitting there, I decided to try to move it somewhere else. Wouldn't it look cool in front of KSC? So far, all my attemps of making skycranes have failed, anyone has any ideas? I know mechjeb has some kind of hovering feature but it doesnt work that well with big ships (I need quite a bit of power to lift with that rock attached underneath). Also, I could try using the Infinite fuel cheat, but even with that, it won't be easy.

Edited by Hydrazine_Soup

It would probably be alot easier to just grab a new one and land that at KSC

This.

But if you want to take it as a challenge, you can try to build a powerful SSTO that can get it to orbit.

10 turbojets can lift an orange tank to orbit so depending on its mass build something that has enough jet engines (and intakes), a claw at the bottom, and some rocket engine to give it final impulse so it stays there. Then you can deorbit it wherever you want, or even land it as a VTOL using the same machine (after you refuel it).

Inspiration: My VTOL that can carry orange tank to orbit. 10 turbojets, two nuclear engines.

Of course in your case you'd need to build it wider to keep engines clear of the asteroid, and with a claw at the bottom.

a9inhIu.jpg

Nice! I always love seeing other people's contraptions. Mine are always so "meh" that I love to see what other wackyness people come up with.

I was thinking along the same lines as Kasuha, except with maybe a bit more symmetry (maybe more stable?). I was probably also inspired by one of my VTOLs.

lfZhFQjl.jpg

Obviously this is way to small for your needs, but similar idea to Kasuha. Among other things, this particular craft can move 40% of it's weight in cargo from KSC to KSC2 (maybe 50%ish if you count kerbal passenger weight). You could widen this out, move and add TurboJets/fuel to the outer ring, and put a claw in the bottom center.

Here is the whole album if you want to see more angles: http://imgur.com/a/nW4eO

I will also suggest that it might be slightly easier to design a craft that does a suborbital ballistic landing in/around KSC. It might require less fuel and engines. However, it might be more difficult to get a precise landing. Maybe a suborbital hop, pop some chutes from your skycrane to keep the right end up, then a power assist landing (with quicksave). Then perhaps you can practice VTOL-ing it around KSC right where you want it.

Well, it may or may not be easier (so I don't mean to get into a debate about that), but it's just another thought.

Can't wait to see what you come up with, danilon. :D

I'd like to point out that it would be very difficult to get your asteroid lined up with the ship's CoM once you grab it.

That's because it's not an even ball. In space this can be solved by either flying around it, or setting the claw to move freely, turn the ship so IT is in line with the asteroid's CoM, and than locking the claw.

Neither of those options are really available on the ground though

I'd like to point out that it would be very difficult to get your asteroid lined up with the ship's CoM once you grab it....

I agree, which is probably why it'll be easier to skycrane down on top of it rather than try to get up underneath it. Lining up exactly with the CoM shouldn't matter too much if you lift off and drag it behind the ship. Starting the engines and providing a little pull before unlocking would probably work best. I would think if you unlock it too early the lifting craft would flop over to one side. Too late and the ship will want to pull to the side.

I suppose my first attempt would be with just enough power to lift the craft, but not enough to lift the whole thing before unlocking. It might want to swing around during the initial lift off.

It will probably help to add a bit of torque too to help keep it straight.

Man, I wish I could try this out. :D

Honestly, if all you want is a KSC lawn ornament, I'd just use hyperedit, or save-game editing, or whatever, to put the goddamn space rock in front of KSC.

It's on Kerbin. Where they theoretically have transportation infrastructure, like ocean-spanning cargo ships, cranes, and trucks, that can be used to move the asteroid without the necessity of rocket science.

Honestly, if all you want is a KSC lawn ornament, I'd just use hyperedit, or save-game editing, or whatever, to put the goddamn space rock in front of KSC.

It's on Kerbin. Where they theoretically have transportation infrastructure, like ocean-spanning cargo ships, cranes, and trucks, that can be used to move the asteroid without the necessity of rocket science.

Yeah, but, errr.... isn't the fun in finding a way to do it yourself? :P

I would really like one of you clever people to work out how to do this, and post pics!

Patrick1978 said:
Robbaz managed to transport an asteroid across a continent. But he used quite a few mods and many failed attempts.

Interesting vid :D

Altho, he has to move a small rock, while mine is kinda big.

I've been trying lots of different prototypes to move the thing, but still haven't had any success :8

Edited by danilon62

VTOL sky crane thing would probably be the most practical thing to do, after getting a new asteroid. But, you could some how drive it to the coast, and load it up on a jet powered speed boat to make Jeb proud :cool: A boat might be a good option as it probably (I'm not sure) can't destroy by the ocean. But it would take a very long time. EDIT just saw that KSC and the asteroid are connected by land not water so a truck might be a option

VTOL sky crane thing would probably be the most practical thing to do, after getting a new asteroid. But, you could some how drive it to the coast, and load it up on a jet powered speed boat to make Jeb proud :cool: A boat might be a good option as it probably (I'm not sure) can't destroy by the ocean. But it would take a very long time. EDIT just saw that KSC and the asteroid are connected by land not water so a truck might be a option

I believe asteroids sink in water. So that's not an option

xtremespino said:

Wait, I just revised the maps and the map I posted in the op is wrong, actually theres a strait that lets you cross:

iZ3G4PR.png

I've never messed around with boats, anyone has a cool model to try?

PD: updated op picture

Edited by danilon62

Is it just me or would this be an awesome challenge, I'd like to try it :D

Sure I can mess up my own asteroid landing somewhere away from KSC but there is something to this landing location that interests me somehow...

Would you want to post your save?

I personally would try to lift it with a really huge plane, but that is only because I like building huge planes :P

Maybe it can be designed so that it can drive over the asteroid and lift it from above with a KAS winch. That way you have pretty good control over where the COM will end up...

How heavy is that thing anyways?

Is it just me or would this be an awesome challenge, I'd like to try it :D

Sure I can mess up my own asteroid landing somewhere away from KSC but there is something to this landing location that interests me somehow...

Would you want to post your save?

I personally would try to lift it with a really huge plane, but that is only because I like building huge planes :P

Maybe it can be designed so that it can drive over the asteroid and lift it from above with a KAS winch. That way you have pretty good control over where the COM will end up...

How heavy is that thing anyways?

Yea sure I can post the save, but I have a few mods installed, removing the ships that use the mod parts will let you use the save in vanilla install?

Currently I have Kw rocketry, Mechjeb, kerbin clouds and SpaceX installed

The asteroid weight is 3,91 Tonnes

Edited by danilon62

Even if you do not remove any crafts the savegame should load, crafts that have modded parts not present in the KSP install will simply not load. Of course, if there is something with modded parts attached to the asteroid, that would be a problem... Not a big one though I guess...

Even if you do not remove any crafts the savegame should load, crafts that have modded parts not present in the KSP install will simply not load. Of course, if there is something with modded parts attached to the asteroid, that would be a problem... Not a big one though I guess...

The small claws with chutes attached to the asteroid have some of the KW rocketry batteries, but I just removed them so theres only one vessel in the map: The bare asteroid A.K.A "Piteroid"

Lemme a sec to upload the savegame

I'm on my way with the largest plane in my fleet, just to see how it compares to the thing... And to see if I can actually land in the terrain around the landing site.

Edit: I took the liberty to hack the persistence file into sandbox mode because I'm modded to hell and back and there was no craft In my fleet that I could build without "buying" a ton of parts from the R&D :P

Edited by the_bT

I'm on my way with the largest plane in my fleet, just to see how it compares to the thing... And to see if I can actually land in the terrain around the landing site.

Edit: I took the liberty to hack the persistence file into sandbox mode because I'm modded to hell and back and there was no craft In my fleet that I could build without "buying" a ton of parts from the R&D :P

No problem :wink:

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

The lands surrounding the asteroid are mostly plain so you can easily land there with big planes

I have arrived.

5zDoayIl.png

My cargo hold is a tiny bit to small it seems and I'm not yet 100% sure whats the best approach to load the thing...

I need to take the floor out, the ceiling is the backbone of the whole craft, so it needs to stay. Without floor there will be no ramp and the main landing gear has a load bearing girder going through the body below the floor, so that needs to change as well, hmm...

Maybe I should build a bigger plane :D

It's actually not that heavy, only 4 tons or so, I can carry that much easily...

I have arrived.

http://i.imgur.com/5zDoayIl.png

My cargo hold is a tiny bit to small it seems and I'm not yet 100% sure whats the best approach to load the thing...

I need to take the floor out, the ceiling is the backbone of the whole craft, so it needs to stay. Without floor there will be no ramp and the main landing gear has a load bearing girder going through the body below the floor, so that needs to change as well, hmm...

Maybe I should build a bigger plane :D

It's actually not that heavy, only 4 tons or so, I can carry that much easily...

That is AWESOME lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.