[submission]. Land on the moon, leave a descent stage, get into 2km orbit...

I want to see if this is possible, really. Land on the moon. Leave a descent stage and as much debris as you possibly can. Now, with persistence, launch a mission to the moon and get into a 2km orbit and take pictures of your previous landing site. If you have to, go as low as you need to see your landing site.

I don\'t have KSP so I can\'t try it myself.

I actually just did this challenge for myself to re-enact what NASA did with the LRO:

Landed an unmanned probe, then TRIED to land a lander, and then successfully landed Kerbals safely at the site

9jeqo2.png

Heading back home, leaving our signature descent stage behind:

14twf6.png

Sent my own version of a Munar Reconnaissance Orbiter:

w8b1qt.png

After some orbit alignment, made a pass by the landing site, but Kerbals forgot to put a zoom feature in the orbiter:

33w79kp.png

Switched to the failed craft on the landing site to catch a glimpse of the orbiter, but the Kraken knocked my probe down:

eqnvc6.png

0.14 is a blast.

Looks like Nova Punch and Probodyne. Tip for fighting the kraken: An extra lander leg is worth its weight in gold, helps keep things from falling over. Also if you stick the legs on radial decouplers to get them out a little wider.

• 2 weeks later...

Made this rocket with entirely stock parts.

-snip-

edit: Did this mission before I read your challenge. I didn\'t return with a second rocket to view my landing site but I got a picture of it as I ascended to return home.

Why don\'t you just press F1 to take a screenshot?

It\'s muss less hassle. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.