[OLD]Tundra Exploration

tygoo7

Mmmm, looks really pretty.

Now, I know this is a bit long-term, but do you plan on making a cargo Dragon when you're done with the crew Dragon?

Hmm, not sure...I'll think about it after I get this one done. I usually work slower on week days because of school but I'll have some texture stuff to show Saturday or Sunday. :)

Hmm, not sure...I'll think about it after I get this one done. I usually work slower on week days because of school but I'll have some texture stuff to show Saturday or Sunday. :)

The cargo dragon wouldn't need an IVA, landing legs or landing engines, but it would need a detachable nosecone and animated solar panels, o it would probably be easier to make than the crew dragon. Anyway, I'm eager for more updates :)

• 3 weeks later...

Alright I'm back to working on this! I was taking a bit of a break to catch up on some of my school work. I found a new method that is easier to texture. I outlined the faces like what Beale did in his tutorial. I will have something textured by the end of today to show you guys!

AJx5BO9.png

EDIT: ... I closed blender without saving...well...time to remap this again. (It only took me like 10-20 minutes so it's not that much to redo)

Edited by tygoo7

Maybe it would be better to use stock docking port? Or stockalike one, with different base but same docking ring and hatch.

As for FAR - if you set it up like the stock shielded port it would work.

Maybe it would be better to use stock docking port? Or stockalike one, with different base but same docking ring and hatch.

As for FAR - if you set it up like the stock shielded port it would work.

The current docking port is really just a quick mockup, I'll have a look at it once I get finished texturing the body and engines.

---Updated---

The body texture is pretty much done, currently unwrapping the engines.

Edited by tygoo7

Looking nice so far.

The only thing that may use correction are windows. From my modelling experience I've learned that one should never use existing polygons for them. Either cut out a needed shape or at least apply some bevel with zero height. You've got window connected right to hatch, and windows almost never have sharp edges in aerospace. Because of material fatigue.

Looking nice so far.

The only thing that may use correction are windows. From my modelling experience I've learned that one should never use existing polygons for them. Either cut out a needed shape or at least apply some bevel with zero height. You've got window connected right to hatch, and windows almost never have sharp edges in aerospace. Because of material fatigue.

The windows actually are cut in a bit. I made it very subtle because the dragon's windows are not that deeply cut. The hatch's window is not cut but I will add that when I'm certain about the window on the hatch. I'm a bit unsure what you are saying about the hatch window though. It should be round?

Engine texture is done. I think I might have overdone the bolts a bit though. Next up is the docking shroud shroud and then remodel the docking port? Isn't there a way to edit the config to put the stock docking port model into the current model? I think SDHI has it for the paradocking port.

FZoiKzG.png

I just realized that I still have to make the landing gear...that won't be much work...to model and texture at least. :P

Engine texture is done. I think I might have overdone the bolts a bit though. Next up is the docking shroud shroud and then remodel the docking port? Isn't there a way to edit the config to put the stock docking port model into the current model? I think SDHI has it for the paradocking port.

I would just have XT Landertron support (Have the LFO engines fire near the ground like IRL) and make the parachute a backup thing. It seems as if the SDHI config grabs multiple models, here's the config:

MODEL {		model = Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPort/model
scale = 1, 1, 1
}

MODEL {
model = SDHI/Service Module System/Parts/SDHI_ParaDock_1_ClampOTron/model
scale = 1, 1, 1
rotation = 0.0, 180.0, 0.0
}

MODEL
{
model = SDHI/Service Module System/Parts/SDHI_Parachutes/SDHI_Parachute_Drogue
scale = 1, 1, 1
position = 0.0, 0.1481, -0.4966
rotation = 0.0, 90, 0.0
texture = SDHI_Parachute_drogue_texture, SDHI/Service Module System/Parts/SDHI_Parachutes/SDHI_Parachute_drogue_texture
}

MODEL
{
model = SDHI/Service Module System/Parts/SDHI_Parachutes/SDHI_Parachute_Main
scale = 1, 1, 1
position = 0.0, 0.1481, -0.4966
texture = SDHI_Parachute_main_ClampOTron_texture, SDHI/Service Module System/Parts/SDHI_Parachutes/SDHI_Parachute_main_ClampOTron_texture
}

I would just have XT Landertron support (Have the LFO engines fire near the ground like IRL) and make the parachute a backup thing. It seems as if the SDHI config grabs multiple models, here's the config:

-snip-

I'm not planning on using XT Landertron, I'm just going to use the engine module like Laztek because IIRC the Dragon uses it's main engines for things other than landing. I don't really plan to make a parachute for it...:P

Here's what I was talking about with windows.

http://i.imgur.com/3WqLP3n.png

EDIT:

Or even like this one.

http://i.imgur.com/wsitsy3.png

Ah...yeah that looks much better. I'll see what I can do. :)