1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

@loler43214: Video please ;)

@aradapilot: No CKAN/AVC etc. until full 1.0 release, but the current version work fine in 0.90.

I've been hearing reports that CKAN just creates an extra level of complexity which means twice as many things that can go horribly wrong with a sensitive mod installation. I even stopped using an older mod manager because it couldn't handle two mods adding files to the same base mod directory without deleting the previous mod that used that directory. On top of that, with my tendency to "fix" some of the configurations in mods that I install, which could cause buggy stuff to happen, could cause such managers to report that the mod is no longer installed correctly, or that I have an outdated version of the mod. For these reasons, I really hate those update notification mods and mod installer programs. That's why my archive unpacker batch file automatically searches for and removes all "*.version" and/or AVC-related dlls it finds.

Interesting; I've had my reservations about this sort of thing myself, and having looked, I just don't see the point in CKAN. Its not like its difficult or critical that mods are updated or not, and if you can't figure out his to unzip stuff correctly, you probably shouldn't be modding a game... I think I'll stay clear, keep it dependency free and avoid the hassle.

I wouldn't say "never" on the topic of making a compatibility addition to the mod in the future for those who prefer that sort of thing, but it's definitely not worth the extra effort to make your mod completely dependent on that form of install. It reminds me of my days modding Oblivion (and Skyrim after that) where we had a few different mod installers out in the world. The nice thing about that was that a mod could be distributed with the specific file type used by those mod managers but, since it was only a zip file with a different extension, it could be opened by any of the current mod installers and managers without issue. the only issue was if the install had scripting for things that had options, such as texture resolution or optional features. One nice feature of those managers was that the scripting and settings for each mod were read from a simple xml or txt file within the archive, so releasing a mod as a simple archived file meant for manual installation could simply package a little extra file in the root of the archive and all of a sudden it was fully compatible with all the other managers while still maintaining the ease of installation for the experienced power user.

I'm sure eventually this community will set some form of standard for making the different mod managers compatible with each other, but until that happens it's better to just wait and see what happens.

I really need to quit messing around in 0.25 and at least try to get used to 0.90. That whole editor merge kinda screwed me over, especially that part with the "switch modes" being not locked down like it should be. The player should be in complete control of mode switch, not "I think you want this attached as Radial, not mirror." "I want mirrored." "Sorry, I say it's radial, and I won't let you change it back!"

Dude, you have no idea what you are missing! Imagine the 0.25 editor with a custom cross between Part Catalog and Simple Part Organizer BUILT IN, very useful change offset and rotation buttons - you can now edit the angle of any part in all 3 axes with extreme precision! About half the features of Editor Extensions have been rolled in too, but I still installed that mod to get the numeric symmetry and snap angle readouts. You also have the option to select difficulty levels - perfect for a Mechjeb junkie like me :) or hardcore like Scott Manley. There are lots of other "oh, that's nice" features they added in - too many to name (that and I doubt I have found them all yet! LOL)

I realised just now that they've fixed the horrible camera wobble when you put it close to the ground. This pleases me :)

I'm getting there with the parts now... Texturing is so much work, but I'm hoping this is starting to look a bit better and I'm at least getting quicker at it:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Pictured with the command pod from nli2work's beautiful orbital tug, if anyone is wondering.

Trying to develop a cohesive style isn't easy, but I've sort of gone for cold war military, a pinch of Star Trek and a generous splash of Gerry Anderson. If anyone dares mention the words "can you make it more stock?" around here, they will receive a cowbell part that rings loudly and constantly - the construction of which will hold up the next release. You have been warned ;)

Cheers dude, good to hear all the effort seems to be paying off :) I don't find it easy by any stretch of the imagination, but steady progress is being made getting the process and technical bits right, even if I'm rather lacking in the artistic flair department..

I like the whole "cold war / Star Trek" theme, myself. It feels stock without having to be stock, as it won't outright clash, punch you in the nose, and say, "Look at me, I'm a purple part strapped to a white rocket!" It looks more... industrial.

And Gaalidas, if you were to finish that forbidden statement, I've been playing around with hovering tanks again... I could always use a moving target.

Hrmm... I wonder if the old release has an issue that we inadvertently fixed in the more recent dev releases.

Hovering tanks sounds awesome. If that's the sacrifice I gotta make, then that's what's gotta happen. Good bye cruel world... lock and load!

Edited by Gaalidas

Nah, a few people successfully tested 1.7 with KSP 0.90. I've made a lot of changes, but nothing that looks at anything that was changed in the API as far as I'm aware. Are you running 32 or 64 bit, Derfel?

Edited by lo-fi

Bribery might work... In fact, I'll take any bribes you want to give. I can't actually do anything... but I'll gladly accept.

By the way, lo-fi, time to edit your signature again. The new year is here, so your break is over. Get back to work you lazy animal!

Nah, a few people successfully tested 1.7 with KSP 0.90. I've made a lot of changes, but nothing that looks at anything that was changed in the API as far as I'm aware. Are you running 32 or 64 bit, Derfel?

Sorry the issue was with me, I was attaching them upside down. Work perfectly now, thanks.

Sorry the issue was with me, I was attaching them upside down. Work perfectly now, thanks.

Who'd have thought a circular frictional propulsion device would need a "this way up" indicator. What is this world coming to?

That said... I've done the same thing many times. Maybe we do need a "this way up" indicator.

Gaalidas, the number of times, initially, that I put the Repulsors on upside down (and this was before we had sticky ones that could be glued to the bottom of a ship) would indicate that a "this way up" indicator may not be a bad idea.

Been having fun, though, with the mod. Still can't get used to 0.90's controls, though. Sure, all the keyboard commands still work, but it seems like they've decided, "we've put all this hard work into making these new click-and-drag controls, now use them. This part will stick here and can't be placed anywhere else. You want to move it? Use the new controls."

Really don't like the new controls. Also not fond of having the VAB controls in my SPH. I learned the SPH controls from version 0.17 onward, and not the VAB ones. Complete interface screw for me. I seem to spend four times longer placing parts because the key I used before no longer does the job. And don't get me started on the whole symmetry switch thing, especially when there's no "lock symmetry mode" button. I still find myself using 0.25 because 0.90's controls and features feel like, well, a step backwards. If I wanted the VAB in my SPH, I'd fire up my 0.23.5 with Editor Extensions where, lo-and-behold, there's a symmetry switch that doesn't automatically toggle itself to VAB mode if I try to do something weird.

But I've wandered off subject and inflicted a rant where I shouldn't, but it's the case where I really don't think the new features make the game better. Harder to use, sure. Better, maybe only mildly, but there were mods that did far better with simpler controls.

As for Kerbal Foundries, it's still awesome, and I have a lot of fun in sandbox because I tend to destroy the horrible building known only as the VAB. Why? Because planes are awesome, tanks are awesome, and rovers are awesome. And you just can't build 'em properly in the VAB.

I'm too much of a perfectionist to destroy the building. I'd rather find a way to obliterate it completely than destroy it, but then I'd find a use for it and want it back. As for controls, I've been using Editor Extensions for a long (freakishly long) time and therefore had no clue there were different controls between them, other than the orientation issue that was annoying and of course the symmetry limit. Editor Extensions has been updated for .90, though I'm unsure if everything is updated to function the same. I'm still wrestling with errors from mods that have yet to be updated fully.

I've actually been battling that whole "burnt out" feeling with KSP lately. Been doing a lot of comparatively mindless gaming while starting a new quarter in college. Trying to get back my old interest in this stuff though. I'm getting close, too.

I just noticed in my previous post that the "this way up" items almost perfectly align vertically, text-scale and screen resolution dependent of course. 1366x768, standard Firefox text scale. I'm so easily amused sometimes.

Edited by Gaalidas

So far I'm getting along OK with .90, though I've not tried making anything complicated yet... I know what you mean with the burnt out feeling, Gaalidas. I'm working so hard to get everything perfect for the beta release it's all seeming like quite hard work. Very, very close, though. I've just completed modelling of the surface track, unwrapped and started the texturing process - I think that's one of the last that was really lagging behind.