The dude at mission control...

StuntMax

Failure is not an Option- Gene Krantz

Failure is not an Option, it is an obligation -Gene Kerman.

Tough and Competent! - Gene Krantz

Tough! -Gene Kerman

If there was one word guaranteed to get your attention in Mission Control, it is the word "abort". That word is never used casually and literally rings across the voice loops as the words is passed to the crew, computer controllers, and support personnel. - Gene Krantz.

That word is never used -Gene Kerman

Okay, all flight controllers hang tight. We should be throttling down soon- Gene Krantz

Okay. all flight controllers hang tight. We should be throttling up soon -Gene Kerman

Let's solve the problem, team..let's not make it any worse by guessing -Gene Krantz

Let's solve the problem, team...more boosters! -Gene Kerman

There has been some type of explosion on board the spacecraft. We still don't know what happened. We are on the long return around the Moon, and it is our job to figure out how to get them home. -Gene Krantz

There has been some type of explosion on board the spacecraft. We still don't know what happened. We are on the long return around the Mun, and it is our job to figure out how to make it happen again. -Gene Kerman

Well, veering ever so slightly off topic (although not as far as this thread has already veered) I'm going to switch from how the Kerbals are named/look to how they sound.

Everytime I accept a contract, (is it Gene in the contracts screen?) pipes up and I'm all "Arghh its the Mars attacks aliens!!!"

• 2 weeks later...

There's another "reference" Kerbal name out there, but this one is tied to another specific Kerbal model, not just a generic one.

That would be Bobak Kerman, seen gasping (and later high-fiving Gene) in this particular KSP promotional video:

Asteroid Redirect Mission promo video

As made clear by the shirt and hairstyle, he is a reference to Bobak Ferdowsi, famous to space fans as JPL's "Mohawk Guy" from the Curiosity landing.

There's another "reference" Kerbal name out there, but this one is tied to another specific Kerbal model, not just a generic one.

That would be Bobak Kerman, seen gasping (and later high-fiving Gene) in this particular KSP promotional video:

As made clear by the shirt and hairstyle, he is a reference to Bobak Ferdowsi, famous to space fans as JPL's "Mohawk Guy" from the Curiosity landing.

Holy crap I totally missed that when I watched that video the first time! That totally is Bobak, he even has lettering (I think it's lettering?)shaved into his hair on the side of his head (visible when he turns to leave just after the high-five) :D

I can't make out what it says though (if it says anything) ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.