I'm obviously missing something?

ramses

What is the difference on the web page between the KSP 0.24(x64) download button and the KSP Installer (x64)button?

I just keep downloading the KSP 0.24(x64) with the patches but have never downloaded the KSP Installer (x64). Should I have downloaded Installer first?

Cheers.

The KSP Installer (x64) should install the 64-bit version of the game and that one alone. The KSP x64 direct download link will download the 64-bit version of the game directly from Squad's servers, without an installer (You drag and drop it to your desired directory).

Sorry but I don't understand this at all? What's the point of the KSP Installer(x64) button then?

Is there a thread somewhere that explains all this 64bit stuff to the Layman?

The installer provides and executable that installs KSP for you, whereas the other is just a .zip that you install yourself. Somepeople don't know enough about computers to be able to install the .zip so they go to the installer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.