Naval Battle Club

astecarmyman

What in the name of god...

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

Another thing I'm thinking: Can a Drek survive

cIQD97l.png

Nah, I'm just kidding, I don't think any ship could survive that. Ramming is disallowed for a reason, no? :P

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

Another thing I'm thinking: Can a Drek survive

http://i.imgur.com/cIQD97l.png

Nah, I'm just kidding, I don't think any ship could survive that. Ramming is disallowed for a reason, no? :P

Ive been rammed by a 500t rocket traveling in the 400-500m/s range and lived in a SK-CRV-IIIg2 before. Mass is not all that matters, unless we get into collision speeds in excess of 1km/s in which case both vessels are pretty much instantly turned into debri clouds or just vaporize regardless of armor or design provided that none of the vessels are lowish mass. At speeds below 500, rockets without any armor will just vaporize on contact and do minor to heavy damage to target but usually wont kil it, once you start to reach 1km/s armor nolonger has any matter provided you can actually hit something going that fast that is.

What determines how effective ur rocket is is the presense of a warhead. Warheads in stock ksp are just a group of high impact tilerance parts sucvh as ibeams, girders, ect. If you have anything liek that inside, odds are ur gonna put some major hurt to the enemy, if not, expect to vaporize your missile on sight.

Three, still making oversized laggy as **** ships? :P

Based on his last few ships i think Three is trying to set the record in laggiest compact capital ship. The last one he uploaded was roughly the size of a corvette, and it has like 4 times the parts my corvette has :D Heck his BOMBER has above 300 parts, armored heck yes, but common, part count alone on that is what, 1 of my older generation corvettes, or like 5 HK-103 fighters fully armed. And that doesnt even say that all his new vessels are ION powered! I dont know how you can stand a 1hr rendezvous burn (let alone interplanetary anything). ~1 ion per ton is my cutoff point, i refuse to fly anything with less at least in an unarmed state, with weapons i can push it to an absolute minimum of 1ion/1.5t ratio.

Edited by panzer1b

Three, still making oversized laggy as **** ships?

Indeed I am, although they are more "overparted" than oversized. :P

Based on his last few ships i think Three is trying to set the record in laggiest compact capital ship. The last one he uploaded was roughly the size of a corvette, and it has like 4 times the parts my corvette has Heck his BOMBER has above 300 parts, armored heck yes, but common, part count alone on that is what, 1 of my older generation corvettes, or like 5 HK-103 fighters fully armed. And that doesnt even say that all his new vessels are ION powered! I dont know how you can stand a 1hr rendezvous burn (let alone interplanetary anything). ~1 ion per ton is my cutoff point, i refuse to fly anything with less at least in an unarmed state, with weapons i can push it to an absolute minimum of 1ion/1.5t ratio.

Unlike many others, I am willing to sacrifice the quality of my gameplay to optimize ship performance. I use ions because they give massive delta-v for low mass; I use high part counts to construct more durable and lighter armor; and I often sacrifice aesthetic quality to improve weapon performance, because little matters to me beyond my ships working well. It is simply the way I am, I suppose...

Also, in terms of armor, I have determine that no resistive scheme is truly effective any longer; I think mitigation is the best we can hope for now, as phasing is far too easily exploited now that we have more advanced weapons technology. Thus, I have decided I will try something...a bit odd. I will report back with results if the Kraken does not consume my computer. To the exploits I go!

Edited by Three1415

Multi-pilot capital ships. Carriers with even more. Not too much, just the tactics as evasive actions for capital ships will probably be disallowed for some kind of balance to actually get a hit at some point. So fighters would be moving around a lot dealing minimal damage but being a general distraction and sometimes shield.

uh...

well it now seems that multiplayer WILL be coming out.

at least sooner than we thought.

so, what is going to happen to the ways we do battles?

this would drastically change how we build our ships.

Maybe, maybe not. Personally, I'm always going to use steel plate armor, since it provides protection from SRBs (provided the hull layout is set up to maximize shock/impact absorption), and makes it very hard for fighters to pick off my capitals.

However, I might resurrect my old (and I do mean OLD: I started with these back when I joined the forums) manned fighter lineup, since I can get higher TWRs with decent armor and plenty of space for a load of my Super I-Beams (which are likely the fastest sub-1.25 meter fire-and-forget weapon system in KSP).

- - - Updated - - -

Multi-pilot capital ships. Carriers with even more. Not too much, just the tactics as evasive actions for capital ships will probably be disallowed for some kind of balance to actually get a hit at some point. So fighters would be moving around a lot dealing minimal damage but being a general distraction and sometimes shield.

Yup. Though I might see missile boats with a pilot, captain, and missile guidance crew taking out fighter swarms en masse. :P

I am proud to present the most durable ship ever built.

I give you: The Helix Class Cruiser!

nbSta6D.png

[Also probably the best-looking ship I have ever built...]

It may not obviously be apparent why this ship is so durable; its armor is of slightly lesser thickness than that of a typical capital ship, and indeed it has exposed external mountings for significant quantities of its components. However, the ship is fully modular, split into fourteen individual sections; each is fully autonomous, capable of at least 4.5 km/s of delta-v, and armed with at least an I-Beam and a Micro-torpedo. Likewise, all components are attached by docking ports, allowing each segment to reassemble the complete ship, meaning that all fourteen segments must be completely destroyed before the cruiser is no longer capable of firing at least some of its weapons. Further complicating such an attempt is the ship's extremely durable plating, as each segment is as resilient as my bomber but without the structural weaknesses incurred by internal weapons mounting. As such, I doubt a ship could even severely damage it in a single turn regardless of its armament, and regardless of how much is destroyed, segments will return to wreak vengeance upon the aggressor.

Statistics:

130.7 tons

4.9 km/s delta-v

1144 parts [Modularity has its costs; fortunately, all weapons can be fired remotely]

Armament:

14 x Micro-torpedo

22 x Large I-Beam

Armor:

Braced ablative/plate armor, sufficient to consistently defeat Tripedo-S's, and 14 autonomous modules able to independently reassemble or strike targets, conferring extreme durability.

Download

Edited by Three1415

I am proud to present the most durable ship ever built.

I give you: The Helix Class Cruiser!

http://i.imgur.com/nbSta6D.png

[Also probably the best-looking ship I have ever built...]

It may not obviously be apparent why this ship is so durable; its armor is of slightly lesser thickness than that of a typical capital ship, and indeed it has exposed external mountings for significant quantities of its components. However, the ship is fully modular, split into fourteen individual sections; each is fully autonomous, capable of at least 4.5 km/s of delta-v, and armed with at least an I-Beam and a Micro-torpedo. Likewise, all components are attached by docking ports, allowing each segment to reassemble the complete ship, meaning that all fourteen segments must be completely destroyed before the cruiser is no longer capable of firing at least some of its weapons. Further complicating such an attempt is the ship's extremely durable plating, as each segment is as resilient as my bomber but without the structural weaknesses incurred by internal weapons mounting. As such, I doubt a ship could even severely damage it in a single turn regardless of its armament, and regardless of how much is destroyed, segments will return to wreak vengeance upon the aggressor.

Statistics:

130.7 tons

4.9 km/s delta-v

1144 parts [Modularity has its costs; fortunately, all weapons can be fired remotely]

Armament:

14 x Micro-torpedo

22 x Large I-Beam

Armor:

Braced ablative/plate armor, sufficient to consistently defeat Tripedo-S's, and 14 autonomous modules able to independently reassemble or strike targets, conferring extreme durability.

Download

Just gave it a try, and im impressed, although it isnt like ull ever be able to fight me with it. I refuse to fight anything above 600 parts, since physics starts to get very wonky and massive lags above 1000 even if my absolute max to play without crashes is ~2000.

As good as your ships are, crap TWR and terrible part counts makes them very unpractical. Ohh, and it looks like you realized how good external weapons mounts/external fuel is. Myself i use this for my ultra competitive ships, i just dont like the way it looks, internal or semi internal (such as the SK-CRV ships) look better in my opinion then lots of guns strapped onto the sides and fuel tanks everywhere.

The Suliban have joined the fray!

How are the Suliban at all relevant to this???

Anyway!

Just gave it a try, and im impressed, although it isnt like ull ever be able to fight me with it. I refuse to fight anything above 600 parts, since physics starts to get very wonky and massive lags above 1000 even if my absolute max to play without crashes is ~2000.

It is quite hard to kill, but yes, the massive modularity results in an even higher part count/tonnage ratio than is typical on even my ships...Alas, we require better computers! :P

As good as your ships are, crap TWR and terrible part counts makes them very unpractical. Ohh, and it looks like you realized how good external weapons mounts/external fuel is. Myself i use this for my ultra competitive ships, i just dont like the way it looks, internal or semi internal (such as the SK-CRV ships) look better in my opinion then lots of guns strapped onto the sides and fuel tanks everywhere.

Perhaps to some extent, though I am willing to put up with both lag and long burns. But yes, externally-mounted weapons are quite effective as they do not compromise the ship's internals in the same fashion as hybrid or fully-internal systems do, and I think the helical aesthetic was well-complemented by the former in the cruiser's appearance.

Additionally, I believe I may have constructed a ship capable of defeating the Tripedo-H. Presenting:

The Torus Class Frigate!

1ECHyUY.png

This may steal the title of "most durable ship" simply by virtue of the impenetrability of its armor. Building on some of my earlier research into elastic hulls, I attempted to construct an anti-phasing armor segment able to disperse the kinetic energy of projectiles by flexing. The result far exceeded my expectations.

So far, I have not been able to damage the ship in any way, via any of my weapons or the Tripedo's I have stolen from your vessels; the former includes my 7-ton Drek-splitters, which, although they impacted at over 500 m/s, could not destroy a single part on the vessel, usually either becoming "caught" in the structural fuselage "net" and then being ejected or bouncing immediately after impact. Below is an average testing run of the the aforementioned missile against the frigate:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thus, as I said earlier, I have my doubts as to whether the Tripedo-H, or any reasonably-sized weapon, can actually inflict any damage on the ship; I have so far been unable to.

Perhaps even more miraculously, I actually managed to keep the part count of this fairly large vessel down to reasonable levels, primarily due to the part-count efficiency of the armor (it is made up of only large girders and structural fuselages).

Finally, it looks awesome, even if it does resemble something between an ear of corn and a caterpillar, but whatever.

Statistics:

115.13 tons

680 parts

4.6 km/s delta-v (ions)

Armament:

18 x Large I-Beam Rocket

6 x Micro-torpedo

Armor:

Structural fuselage-based flexible "net" armor, thus far completely impervious to all weaponry tested against it, at all ranges and angles. Durability vastly higher than even Heavy Dreks.

Download

Edited by Three1415

How are the Suliban at all relevant to this???

Anyway!

It is quite hard to kill, but yes, the massive modularity results in an even higher part count/tonnage ratio than is typical on even my ships...Alas, we require better computers! :P

Perhaps to some extent, though I am willing to put up with both lag and long burns. But yes, externally-mounted weapons are quite effective as they do not compromise the ship's internals in the same fashion as hybrid or fully-internal systems do, and I think the helical aesthetic was well-complemented by the former in the cruiser's appearance.

Additionally, I believe I may have constructed a ship capable of defeating the Tripedo-H. Presenting:

The Torus Class Frigate!

http://i.imgur.com/1ECHyUY.png

This may steal the title of "most durable ship" simply by virtue of the impenetrability of its armor. Building on some of my earlier research into elastic hulls, I attempted to construct an anti-phasing armor segment able to disperse the kinetic energy of projectiles by flexing. The result far exceeded my expectations.

So far, I have not been able to damage the ship in any way, via any of my weapons or the Tripedo's I have stolen from your vessels; the former includes my 7-ton Drek-splitters, which, although they impacted at over 500 m/s, could not destroy a single part on the vessel, usually either becoming "caught" in the structural fuselage "net" and then being ejected or bouncing immediately after impact. Below is an average testing run of the the aforementioned missile against the frigate:

http://imgur.com/a/Vkdip

Thus, as I said earlier, I have my doubts as to whether the Tripedo-H, or any reasonably-sized weapon, can actually inflict any damage on the ship; I have so far been unable to.

Perhaps even more miraculously, I actually managed to keep the part count of this fairly large vessel down to reasonable levels, primarily due to the part-count efficiency of the armor (it is made up of only large girders and structural fuselages).

Finally, it looks awesome, even if it does resemble something between an ear of corn and a caterpillar, but whatever.

Statistics:

115.13 tons

680 parts

4.6 km/s delta-v (ions)

Armament:

18 x Large I-Beam Rocket

6 x Micro-torpedo

Armor:

Structural fuselage-based flexible "net" armor, thus far completely impervious to all weaponry tested against it, at all ranges and angles. Durability vastly higher than even Heavy Dreks.

Download

U havent watched star trek if u dont know how suliban relate to ur ship, they had this modular base thingy made of lots of tiny ships, i think thats what the reference is.

Anyways, in other news, 2.5t missile vs your new ship:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

1st hit was a shot to the side, it did damage but nothing major, shots to teh front/rear tend to obliterate half the ship super reliably, sometimes more then half.

I have to say its armor is amazing, but i hit it with a 2.5t weapon, the Tripedo-S/H. Yeah, i think my frigate still has you (and anyone else for that matter) beat in terms of firepower efficiency with a 6 part 2.6t warhead, it carries what, 6 of these things with the ability to mount up to 18 (although the other 12 are external and look like crap). Not that id use these things in a real battle, whats the fun in 1 shotting EVERY BLOODY THING i come across? Ok, well 1 shot isnt the right term, more like 2 shot, as your ship usually survives with half intact somewhat, impressive armor, but nothing beats my Tripedo-S/H anti-everything missile especially considering it is lighter then most capital ship weapons and has less parts then any 1.25m weapons that isnt just a RT-5/10 with a decoupler and a structural panel atop.

Ohh, and a few more tests resulted in me deeming it unfit for combat due to kraken attacks. It tends to tear itself apart, even a glancing blow that tore off the top section only (you would guess superficial dmg at best initially), then instant resonance kraken (what i cann vibrations that increase intensity until vessel kaput) hits it and leaves only a small skeleon behind if that. Ive actually found it MORE EFFECTIVE to aim at the sides when attacking and not straight at middle. If you can fix this massive suceptibility to krakening out, itll be a fine ship (like all other ships, totally killable, but one of the better designs out there imo).

Im just hoping 1.1 fixes the effin lag, its just so sad how limited we are right now due to the game being unoptimized (and dont tell me get a better machine, i have a quad core cpu, and KSP being a single threaded program, just cannot take advantage of the entire CPU in its current state. I also know how hard it is to run physics on non preprogrammed vessels, so it is logical that excessive parts will lag, but why cant we be able to say have 2000 parts in one area and not tear our eyes out.

Edited by panzer1b

1st hit was a shot to the side, it did damage but nothing major, shots to teh front/rear tend to obliterate half the ship super reliably, sometimes more then half.

I have to say its armor is amazing, but i hit it with a 2.5t weapon, the Tripedo-S/H. Yeah, i think my frigate still has you (and anyone else for that matter) beat in terms of firepower efficiency with a 6 part 2.6t warhead, it carries what, 6 of these things with the ability to mount up to 18 (although the other 12 are external and look like crap). Not that id use these things in a real battle, whats the fun in 1 shotting EVERY BLOODY THING i come across? Ok, well 1 shot isnt the right term, more like 2 shot, as your ship usually survives with half intact somewhat, impressive armor, but nothing beats my Tripedo-S/H anti-everything missile especially considering it is lighter then most capital ship weapons and has less parts then any 1.25m weapons that isnt just a RT-5/10 with a decoupler and a structural panel atop.

Alas, I thought I had you with this one...But apparently the warhead on the Tripedo-S/H makes it equivalent to a girder missile nearly forty times its actual mass; an 87-ton girder missile did the same level of damage in testing...

Ohh, and a few more tests resulted in me deeming it unfit for combat due to kraken attacks. It tends to tear itself apart, even a glancing blow that tore off the top section only (you would guess superficial dmg at best initially), then instant resonance kraken (what i cann vibrations that increase intensity until vessel kaput) hits it and leaves only a small skeleon behind if that.

I feared that would be the case; more struts are required...

Im just hoping 1.1 fixes the effin lag, its just so sad how limited we are right now due to the game being unoptimized (and dont tell me get a better machine, i have a quad core cpu, and KSP being a single threaded program, just cannot take advantage of the entire CPU in its current state. I also know how hard it is to run physics on non preprogrammed vessels, so it is logical that excessive parts will lag, but why cant we be able to say have 2000 parts in one area and not tear our eyes out.

The lack of optimization or multi-threading is sad, yes, but improvements to it are rarely pushed for because very little else in the game requires ships above a few hundred parts. Still, though, performance is terrible and has only been getting worse...

I wonder if they really are all that tough....

Reporting back soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, 1st attempt on the Torus:

CO3senG.jpg

BrghgPz.jpg

EsM975z.jpg

She's dead in the water, no propulsion or control left. On to the Helix:

- - - Updated - - -

And, she's dead, Jim:

oqgWrZk.jpg

0ua1oBv.jpg

Totally vapourised, first attempt again. Seriously; Dreks>>>>> These two and that's without considering the time frames involved.

- - - Updated - - -

ok, I lied; found this chunk still sort of working when I looked in the tracking station:

1pHsTao.jpg

It can't generate enough power to move but it can still turn and shoot. The seed part is gone and the rest of the bits are total junk so I'm calling it a kill.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.