Kerbodyne SSTO Division: Omnibus Thread

That is very close to what I'd consider Mun-capable without a refuel... I doff my hat to thee sir. What's it's runway weight?

Crashtime here, so I'll need to check tomorrow.

You could probably get another 500m/s out of it if you changed the central LFO tank to LF; it has more oxidiser than it needs. And if you're going unfuelled, you can ditch the docking port as well. 4km/s unrefuelled shouldn't be too hard to reach if you really aim for maximum range.

Edit to add: 40,167kg takeoff weight for the Kitten.

Edited by Wanderfound

What exactly is the difference between the Kitten and Munkitty? I can't tell from the screenshots.

I swapped the central large LFO tank for an LF one, swapped the docking port for a short LFO tank, moved the cargo bay forwards and added some Vernors for low-G VTOL.

I just wanted to see what range I could get out of it unrefuelled, in response to eddiew's comments about the Kitten. But, for serious use, I'd add the docking port back. If you're using spaceplanes, you should have an LKO refuelling station, and you should use it. There's no good reason not to.

Wanderfound, if you're still looking for craft ideas, I have one after starting my new Career game. I'll be launching an LKO refueling station soon, and after that I'll get Turbojets. Is it possible to make an efficient fuel lifter SSTO with nothing higher than turbojets? It would need to lift at least 720 LF + 880 O (A Rockomax X200-16), preferably more. Is it not practical without Rapiers?

Wanderfound, if you're still looking for craft ideas, I have one after starting my new Career game. I'll be launching an LKO refueling station soon, and after that I'll get Turbojets. Is it possible to make an efficient fuel lifter SSTO with nothing higher than turbojets? It would need to lift at least 720 LF + 880 O (A Rockomax X200-16), preferably more. Is it not practical without Rapiers?

Sure; I'll see if I can whip something up today. Apart from the turbos, what relevant tech nodes (engines, wing pieces, etc) do you have open?

Got a (relatively) low tech tanker for you, but it comes with a warning: I don't have a full flight-test album for it, because I keep getting hit with the heating bug (i.e. things exploding for no good reason). Frequent F5 recommended until Ferram gets it sorted out.

Anyway: craft file at https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0107f633ferm8o/Kerbodyne%20Infusion.craft?dl=0

5xo2zWh.png

(I think it's just the batteries that are affected, BTW; ditching them and just relying on the cockpit charge may solve the issue for now)

Edited by Wanderfound

I haven't unlocked Turbojets yet in my new save. I am rushing Labs, then I'll put a station around Minmus and unlock all the basic spaceplane stuff. I was planning to use your design ideas to choose what nodes to get besides turbojets. The Mk3 stuff is the same tier as turbojets, so I guess it's reasonable. I was thinking it was higher but that was the old tech tree. Is it at all practical to make a tanker with 2.5m fuselage instead of Mk3? It'd be brutally heavy, I know.

I haven't unlocked Turbojets yet in my new save. I am rushing Labs, then I'll put a station around Minmus and unlock all the basic spaceplane stuff. I was planning to use your design ideas to choose what nodes to get besides turbojets. The Mk3 stuff is the same tier as turbojets, so I guess it's reasonable. I was thinking it was higher but that was the old tech tree. Is it at all practical to make a tanker with 2.5m fuselage instead of Mk3? It'd be brutally heavy, I know.

I'd be inclined to go for a pure Mk2 tanker instead; it's what I'd use routinely in the old days. I might have a bash at an updated one later tonight.

Kerbodyne Sweep.

Chim chim-in-ey, chim chim-in-ey

Chim chim cher-ee!

A sweep is as lucky, as lucky can be

More seriously, I like the lines on this one. Just wishing I had the tech in career mode to use it, cos I keep getting loads of 4-tourists to LKO contracts :)

The aero forces overlay picture... I then tried enabling the aero forces overlay on my FAR game and it turns out to look exactly the same as in stock. Heh, redundancies. (Did you know that a KSP distro running FAR still creates drag cube data for all the parts, which is a major component in loading time?)

Wanderfound, I like the downward facing jets. How does this thing fly? You could use Infernal Robotics to make the vertical shaft rotate (no immature jokes please :sticktongue:).

Sucks fuel like crazy and tops out around Mach 1.5. It's not the lowest-drag thing around.

Chim chim-in-ey, chim chim-in-ey

Chim chim cher-ee!

A sweep is as lucky, as lucky can be

More seriously, I like the lines on this one. Just wishing I had the tech in career mode to use it, cos I keep getting loads of 4-tourists to LKO contracts :)

Grab the Astrotaxi III. If you take the Airbrakes off it should have no tech higher than 300.

Ooo... might need to try FAR again... sort of cooled when it wasn't giving much/any advantage over stock, but if there's some extra oomph available then it's more alluring :)

Stock is definitely easier in most respects, I'll say that. But yeah, with a properly area-ruled craft in FAR you might barely even notice the sound barrier, whereas in stock you basically just have to try and ram everything through it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.