Mod-Oriented Tech Tree (Aug 3, v0.3.3 bug fixes)

cvod

What's your impression of the current progress?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. What's your impression of the current progress?

• I'd like to test/use this tech tree
    • I like where this is going
    • might be interested when it's finished
    • it looks too cluttered
    • not a fan of how it's organized

hey cvod

can you check if your getting this error in KSP.log

[LOG 04:44:08.765] Adding new node: newnode_3213

[EXC 04:44:08.779] ArgumentException: The thing you want to instantiate is null.

[LOG 04:44:08.783] Adding new node: newnode_9966

if yes...i think one of these two nodes is causing the error

Yeah, that node got accidentally moved. It's fixed now. The new download has a better spaced out version of the tree. Nothing else has changed. If you prefer the old spacing, that's also in the download.

It looks like you've made decent progress on unlocking this tree. Are there any prices that you think should be adjusted?

As to pricing, I really couldn't say. I have modded my science returns for all planets/experiments by about -60% using using Dmagics "Celestial Body Science Multiplier Editor" which, with your mod, seems about right to me. I suspect that most people would consider that excessive. :)

Updated to v0.2.0. I added support for the following mods:

KAX

MSI's model rework struts

ActiveStruts

Real Fuels (stockalike engine configs)

AJE

Engine Ignitor

Universal Storage (core, KAS)

Mission Controller

Burn Together

Procedural Parts

Procedural Dynamics

Klockheed Martian asteroid cities

DERP lifeboat

PackRat rover

I'm not familiar with the procedural mods so the parts will probably need to be re-distributed a bit. I also tried adding KSOS but I can't get the game to load when I install it, probably because there's so many mods I'm loading for this tree. I even created a fresh GameData folder and KSOS still wouldn't load.

For future mod support, would anyone like to see AIES or NovaPunch added?

I just found your tree and am very impressed. I recently restarted a campaign with ca. 50 mods and am playing with the near future technologies tree. I decided not to install Interstellar due to using the NF tree. My question is whether I can install Interstellar and then use your tree and nothing will be broken? Or whether I will have to start over :(

I realize it's impossible for you to guarantee nothing being broken, I guess what I'm after is sort of an educated guess whether installing Interstellar this late in my career and using your tree will break my save or not.

hey cvod

can you check if your getting this error in KSP.log

[LOG 04:44:08.765] Adding new node: newnode_3213

[EXC 04:44:08.779] ArgumentException: The thing you want to instantiate is null.

[LOG 04:44:08.783] Adding new node: newnode_9966

if yes...i think one of these two nodes is causing the error

Thanks for investigating this! I will definitely check this out when I get the chance.

I just found your tree and am very impressed. I recently restarted a campaign with ca. 50 mods and am playing with the near future technologies tree. I decided not to install Interstellar due to using the NF tree. My question is whether I can install Interstellar and then use your tree and nothing will be broken? Or whether I will have to start over :(

I realize it's impossible for you to guarantee nothing being broken, I guess what I'm after is sort of an educated guess whether installing Interstellar this late in my career and using your tree will break my save or not.

Honestly, I'm not sure what it would do. You would probably have a lot of the nodes unlocked, but in a order that wouldn't be possible unless you started with this tree. I would suggest making a copy of your save and seeing what happens.

Okay, so AIES is implemented, sorta. My GameData is getting pretty unstable at this point. My VAB crashes when placing a single part so I haven't checked the sizes of the AIES parts to make sure I got them in the right spots. For those of you familiar with the AIES parts, let me know if anything is out of place (probably fuel tanks). Also I wasn't sure if the cluster engines should be categorized in "Precision Engineering" or the normal rocket engine nodes.

The download link is updated to the new version. Other mods that are implemented in v0.2.1:

Habitat Pack

Fustek Station Parts

6S Service Compartment Tubes

(NovaPunch and Firespitter are probably on the way)

Edited by cvod

in the new tree 0.2.1 the error node id is different now

[LOG 00:18:13.935] Adding new node: newnode_9294

[EXC 00:18:13.949] ArgumentException: The thing you want to instantiate is null.

[LOG 00:18:13.953] Adding new node: newnode_6601

Looking over the tree, I'm not a huge fan of the way the Karbonite and Kethane entries are all grouped together at the end of the tree. It's nice when a game lets you unlock the basic versions of stuff early then have to struggle with them until you choose to spend to get the big ones. But I say that also not having actually installed the tree yet :)

Looking over the tree, I'm not a huge fan of the way the Karbonite and Kethane entries are all grouped together at the end of the tree. It's nice when a game lets you unlock the basic versions of stuff early then have to struggle with them until you choose to spend to get the big ones. But I say that also not having actually installed the tree yet :)

I may not be opposed to changing that. I could probably make the first node or two accessible a little earlier.

i think i found the reason for error in your tree

i think that your tree and contracts do not play nicely together because of the way contracts are generated (procedurally) so the contracts request a part that is not in the expected node and throws this error witch in turn makes the vessel unrecoverable

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[RDTech] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[RDTech] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Contracts.Templates.PartTest.Generate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Contracts.Contract.Generate (System.Type contractType, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 seed, State state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (Int32 seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, System.Type contractType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (System.Int32& seed, ContractPrestige difficulty) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContracts (System.Int32& seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 count) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Contracts.ContractSystem.RefreshContracts () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Contracts.ContractSystem+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

i tried playing with default ksp tree and everything is working fine not a single error but as soon i copy your tree the error comes back (other custom tree's too but at different times) thought you should now

while i am not 100% sure of this i did manage to reproduce this every single time so i am assuming it's the way nodes in your tech tree interact with contracts or vice versa

i think i found the reason for error in your tree

i think that your tree and contracts do not play nicely together because of the way contracts are generated (procedurally) so the contracts request a part that is not in the expected node and throws this error witch in turn makes the vessel unrecoverable

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[RDTech] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[RDTech] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Contracts.Templates.PartTest.Generate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Contracts.Contract.Generate (System.Type contractType, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 seed, State state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (Int32 seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, System.Type contractType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (System.Int32& seed, ContractPrestige difficulty) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContracts (System.Int32& seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 count) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Contracts.ContractSystem.RefreshContracts () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Contracts.ContractSystem+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

i tried playing with default ksp tree and everything is working fine not a single error but as soon i copy your tree the error comes back (other custom tree's too but at different times) thought you should now

while i am not 100% sure of this i did manage to reproduce this every single time so i am assuming it's the way nodes in your tech tree interact with contracts or vice versa

Good job at figuring this out. If you're right, maybe we can ask the developer of FinePrint to make a fix for this. Maybe turn off the stock contract and add one that doesn't have this problem. I say that because it would be outside what I'm able to do and what I have time for. If that doesn't work, I can't really do anything other than suggest that people don't attempt those contracts.

Good job at figuring this out. If you're right, maybe we can ask the developer of FinePrint to make a fix for this. Maybe turn off the stock contract and add one that doesn't have this problem. I say that because it would be outside what I'm able to do and what I have time for. If that doesn't work, I can't really do anything other than suggest that people don't attempt those contracts.

well i;am not sure witch contracts are doing this (just now i tried your tree, last version 0.2.2 same story same bug) i;am trying to dig trough your tree figure whats causing this but i think i reached my limit concerning my modding skill's in ksp :) would be nice if someone else would confirm this also so that this doesn't become a witch hunt :D

I keep having the Intersteller update notification box coming up every time i load the save with this tech tree. I followed the instructions in the readme and got the initial update as indicated but the update keeps repeating. I didn't see anything like this posted though possible I missed it. Is this a known problem or did something go wrong while installing the tech tree?

I keep having the Intersteller update notification box coming up every time i load the save with this tech tree. I followed the instructions in the readme and got the initial update as indicated but the update keeps repeating. I didn't see anything like this posted though possible I missed it. Is this a known problem or did something go wrong while installing the tech tree?

Sorry about that, I thought I got it to go away by doing that. Maybe I wrote the readme wrong and it goes away if you install the interstellar tree and the update before adding my tree.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.