Mod-Oriented Tech Tree (Aug 3, v0.3.3 bug fixes)

cvod

What's your impression of the current progress?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. What's your impression of the current progress?

• I'd like to test/use this tech tree
    • I like where this is going
    • might be interested when it's finished
    • it looks too cluttered
    • not a fan of how it's organized

Pretty sure you're going to have to wait for TechManager to update like every other mod. cvod is only doing the tech tree config file, he's entirely dependant on TechManager to load it. Once TechManager updates, then this tree will also work again. Pretty much equal to ModuleManager requiring an update before any hand-written tweaks work again, to make an analogy.

The research system was the very first career mode system ever implemented, and it shows its age in many ways. Among them is the fact that it's incredibly difficult to mod without resorting to awful and irresponsible hacks. It took three quarters of a year for the community to come up with a real, proper alternative for TreeLoader after that ceased development. And I'm honestly not surprised that TechManager broke instantly the moment it looked at 0.90, considering how much has changed in this update... I expect it's going to break that way and require fixing every update. That's just how finnicky the system is.

P.S.: I have a feeling that you might love this mod. ;) I highly recommend it and you should totally +rep the author, he deserves more recognition.

So far haven't had any problem with TechManager, though I have the modified tree to use the preferred header for loading.

Sidenote, update to Kerbal Construction Time is currently in testing for a compatibility update but if you feel like lending a hand testing we can certainly use more :)

Edited by JeffreyCor

and I make one launch every 10 days, no more no less - which has similar issues with approaching transfer windows, and makes life support start to matter.

I agree with Streetwind. You should definitely try Kerbal Construction Time.

P.S.: I have a feeling that you might love this mod. ;) I highly recommend it and you should totally +rep the author, he deserves more recognition.

If it makes it to 0.90, you may be right. I refuse to timewarp x100,000 just to move my probes along their orbits, but then get frustrated by how easy it is to quickfire launches, and thus not actually get any closer to that Duna window - something that forces me to take breaks between missions would be quite nice, and I can justify skipping 30 days in the name of making a Saturn V :) Though I did kinda enjoy taking 9 real-time days to get to Eve. Totes worth it when the rover landed in the right spot for FinePrint and worked on first try - because I had tested it so hard around KSC I knew it was good! Takes a special kind of masochism to run multiple Kerbin simulations before the proper launch :D

And yeah, I appreciate TechManager is at the root of MOTT not working - I just wondered if cvod might have insider intel :)

Not if it makes it to .90, but when the .90 version is released. We are currently testing the .90 version of KCT with positive results. :)

Good stuff, sir :) I shall be keeping an eye out when I actually get time to play again!

Hi guys,

I haven't been playing KSP in a long time and decided to get back to it now that .90 is out. Since I play with a heavily modded install, I'd like to diversify my tech tree instead of using the stock one. This one seems like a good alternative.

I want to ask: What happens with unsupported mods? Do they get assigned somewhere in the tech tree or won't they appear at all?

Ones that aren't assigned by the tech tree will appear in whatever node they are assigned to in their part.cfg file. The only potential problem is if the node assigned in the cfg is not in the custom tree. As long as that node is somewhere in the tree the part will appear in it.

I think I may have spotted the problem with Procedural Fairings. The parts that represent when the upgrades take place in the tech tree are being defined, but I don't see anything changing the actual sizing unlocks. So for example while the 6m dummy part is showing up as defined under "veryLargeFairings" PF actual unlock is still defined as "heavyAerodynamics" Don't know if it's the only thing going on but it might be related to why the sizes doesn't seem to unlock with this tree.

Hi guys,

I haven't been playing KSP in a long time and decided to get back to it now that .90 is out. Since I play with a heavily modded install, I'd like to diversify my tech tree instead of using the stock one. This one seems like a good alternative.

I want to ask: What happens with unsupported mods? Do they get assigned somewhere in the tech tree or won't they appear at all?

All the stock nodes still exist so the parts will show up somewhere that sorta makes sense. For example, space plane parts will show up with spaceplanes, rocket parts will show up with rockets, and construction parts will end up in a construction node.

How do I install this fine mod, I dont know what a career folder is?

Your career folder would be under the "saves" folder in your KSP directory, and then it would be named whatever you called your career save. You can place the file from the download in there, or you can place this edited version of the file in your GameData folder.

Your career folder would be under the "saves" folder in your KSP directory, and then it would be named whatever you called your career save. You can place the file from the download in there, or you can place this edited version of the file in your GameData folder.

Thank you, the modified file works in 0.9 if you download Tech manager yourself.

It's about time. I finally got all the changes finished. I actually started before the holidays, but it took a lot longer than expected with bugs in the new tree editor and loader. Luckily for you, I also changed A LOT more than I expected to. I think I improved the organization quite a bit, but let me know what you think. I re-wrote the OP so check that out to see more changes and the new mod list.

One exciting new feature is rather simple. There are now two versions of the tree (both included in the download). Neither are intended to be a grind-fest, but one has significantly higher starting node costs. This version requires you to commit to your early game decisions a bit more, but you have to use custom career settings to start with 30 science for this mechanic to work. If you choose to buy spaceplane parts, you cannot just turn around and buy basic rocketry because it will effectively cost you 3x the amount you just spent on spaceplanes. I think it should be fun, but I want to see what you guys think.

Heyas Cvod :) Loving the update!!!

I was helping someone troubleshoot getting this working in their save and noticed some things:

1) Alternate tree id needs to be changed to modOrienTreeAlt as the name conflicts with the other and would require a manual delete of the file, this way there's nothing required on the user end.

2) In both trees:

name= Mod-Oriented Tree 0.3.0 (normal) <---needs to be label, not name

Heyas Cvod :) Loving the update!!!

I was helping someone troubleshoot getting this working in their save and noticed some things:

1) Alternate tree id needs to be changed to modOrienTreeAlt as the name conflicts with the other and would require a manual delete of the file, this way there's nothing required on the user end.

2) In both trees:

name= Mod-Oriented Tree 0.3.0 (normal) <---needs to be label, not name

Thanks for letting me know! It's fixed now. I updated the download.

Edited by cvod

Sounds like a great mods, wich greatly improves the career mode with a modded installation. Thanks for your work.

I noticed 1 minor problem : the new version of USI MKS/OKS (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79588-0-90-USI-Kolonization-Systems-%28MKS-OKS%29-%280-22-3%29-2014-12-27) hides parts from extraplanetary launchpads (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59545-Extraplanetary-Launchpads-v3-4) in the VAB and the SPH, but those parts are still visible in the new tech tree when i use your plugin (note that those parts are not visible in the VAB). The lists of hidden parts is available at https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/blob/master/GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Kolonization/EL_CONFIG.cfg (also available in the GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Kolonization/EL_CONFIG.cfg file of your local KSP installation). Even more strange, i can see parts for mods that are even not installed !! For exemple, i can see all the Universal Storage parts for DMagic Orbital Science, but i only have DMagic installed, not Universal Storage. As for the OKS/MKS problem, those parts are only visible in the tech tree, not in the VAB nor the SPH.

Second problem, unmanned and manned version have the same id in the configuration file. This prevent the TechManager to offer both at loading. Simply add "Unman" to the unmanned's id solve this problem.

You are supporting Extraplanetary Launchpad, you are supporting Karbonite, so why not supporting Extraplanetary Launchpad Karbonite conversion (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/89774-90-%28V-23%29-ExtraPlanetary-Launchpads%28EPL%29-Regolith-Adaptation-%2812-24-14%29) ? I added those parts to nodes :

to node {name = newnode_4108, techID = offWorldConstruction} i add the parts {name = OrbitalRocketWorkshop};
to node {name = newnode_2972, techID = offWorldAssembly} i add the parts {name = RocketWorkshop, name = SmallerBlastSmelter, name = BlastSmelter, name = TinyBlastSmelter};
to node {name = newnode_8515, techID = orbitColonization} i add the parts {name = OKS.Storage.RocketParts};

Finally, the support of the figaro GPS plugin would be a great thing (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24646-0-25-Figaro-Global-Navigation-Satellite-System-Launch-a-Working-GPS-System). Here is the node i add :

NODE
{
name = newnode_6729
techID = gnss
pos = -1545,635,-10
icon = ELECTRONICS
cost = 225
title = Global Navigation Satellite System
description = Positionning things on other things.
anyParent = False
hideIfEmpty = True
parents = node7_advScienceTech,node7_advUnmanned
PARTS
{
name = FigaroReceiver
name = FigaroTransmitter
}
}

This seems to be working, but i can make mistakes :D

Dmagic comes with Universal Storage modules, so that's supposed to happen. For the MKS/OKS problem, that might be something to bring up to RoverDude. I don't think that's really my area.

Thanks, I'll fix the unmanned file downloads.

I just forgot about that mod. Thanks for the edits.

Great seeing a tech tree which starts unmanned, really looking forward to a play-through using this. From a quick test I made I noticed that the procedural fuel tanks are rather high up in the tech tree (At Heavy Fuel Tanks). When I get around to do a game with the tree I'll probably move them to the start node. Their possible sizes scales with tech nodes, so they should be (somewhat) balanced the same as the tanks unlocked prior to this. I also tend to remove a lot of parts I feel are superfluous to reduce clutter, load times and memory usage, and tanks are high on my list when I have the procedural tanks available.

All in all this looks great! Keep up the good work.

You should consider shuffling the reworked IR parts a bit around between Actuators and Robotics. I only play with the reworked parts and the Actuators node did not show up because I did not have anything else from that node. And that way I could not research Robotics and access the IR parts there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.