Your Absolute BADASS Moment in KSP

mangekyou-sama

Was buzzing around the KSC with an admittedly impressive experimental plane and I tried banking hard around the tower at speed when FAR ripped my wings off. Just my luck for pushing it too far. But instead of slaming into the ground I managed to thrust up on the engine and brought it down in a vertical landing. I turned the belly in the direction of travel and let it flip over just before landing and landed perfectly on my landing gear.

I couldn't do it again if I tried.

Might I add I touched down on the runway.

Edited by ThatHomelessGuy

Well... I pulled a apollo 13.... My engines for some reason where stuck on (i think sticky keys), I tried to throttle down, nope! Throttle went straight back to 100%! Had to deactivate the engine by hand (shutdown engine). My current trajectory to the mun would send me on a kerbin escape..... I plotted the maneuver when I was at mun periapsis turned out to be like, a 5 second burn... With re-entry heat, and no heat shield. I did the maneuver, 5 m/s off, swung around the back of the mun with my "crippled" craft (for poetry`s sake) and, I hit it right on the spot (where I always aim for re-entry); 30K periapsis. (ok, more like 30.5k) re-entered, and had a safe landing.

Not as impressive as many of these, but i was proud of it!

Imagine the scene: You've got three space pirates in a giant spaceship hurtling towards Dres without enough fuel to capture and another ship that's almost to Dres that won't make it there in time for a rescue.

So, you'd give up and let the space pirates die, right?

Or would you burn towards Dres, find an asteroid that happens to be a magic boulder, refuel quickly, and perform the most daring rescue you've ever done, sending two giant spaceships on an escape trajectory out of Dres?

uWOe3q9.png

That is probably one of the most awesome screenshot's I'll ever take.

A routine return to KSC from a 100Km parking orbit.

My usual approach includes burning as my craft crosses the desert shore about 1/4 way to the East around Kerbin, and holding the burn until the trajectory line passes that little egg-shaped island just to the west. That normally puts me in the water just offshore of KSC.

Except just yesterday, when it dropped me right on the Administration Center parking lot. Good old Jonbree just had to step out and walk into the cafeteria for snacks.

Oh yeah - pure luck; but I was preening about THAT landing for a while :wink:

• 1 month later...

You know i don't think this was all that bad ass but i thought it was one of my best saves for a ship i normally would have just left to die because i had no other option, i was testing out some new ideas for a mun lander and one was working "eh" it used a lot of fuel and i did manage to get it down on the mun it was the return trip when i got into a kerbin orbit i don't remember all the details of the orbit (i might have some pic of the ship on my main computer but i can't get to that right now) but basicly i ran out of fuel and was still quite above kerbin no where near what i could do to just skim the atmosphere and lower the orbit so i can land plus i was still quite a noob back then and did not understand heat shields so i never used them so i was stuck in orbit no fuel but i did have my monopropolent and RcS so i was like well got nothing better to do why not find out if i can lower my orbit with RcS so i set my SaS for retrograde then switched to docking mode and held down shift for a hour (note i cheated after 15 miniutes and put a paper wait on my shift key) around the half way point of my mono running out i realized since i was still moving in a orbit i was getting less efficient with it so now i started warping back to the AP every so often finally i ran out of mono propelent but my orbit was low enough that i was just skimming the atmosphere at 8800m   after a long boring time warp for a wile my orbit came crashing down and i landed back at kerbin.  I don't know why i feel so accomplished by this i think it was the fact that i leave ships for dead when i think there is no hope left but this time i beat my self a landed when i normally would have quit back then.

Neither is really a badass moment but:

I always smile when pulling off a suicide burn on the night side of a planet/moon. Nothing but darkness, then the engines light up towards seemingly nothing. This, until the ground gets lit up by the spotlights, with the craft coming to a hover, usually 30m from the surface, before initiating touchdown. :D

Another one, is when pulling off a suicide burn and at the same time, zeroing in on a stranded kerbonaut's landed pod (rescue contract). The end distance can be anything between 20-200m, something any kerbal would feel comfortable walking. Things do get more technical if I have to retrieve the pod too, but I've become somewhat decent in hovering around and using RCS to properly line up the claw, before landing on top of the said pod and grabbing it. No more desperate jumping around for me :)

Edited by Atkara

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.