Kethane Station Discussion

Halban

1 hour ago, NotAnAimbot said:

You need to also provide a background for your company. Please read the OP.

Ok, sorry for the hassle, the post has been updated, and the rules have been read. I am not going to send spacecraft (yet), but ground units will be sent in the future. The link to the updated post can be found here, and hopefully that is the last edit I have to make.

10 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

Wait, I need a company for this?

Look at the OP.  Just make one up, it doesn't have to be in-depth, it's only for a little flavor in the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick idea I had; Why not have a future episode feature both sides trying to bomb out weapon companies' bases? It could give more lore about them, or just show a more strategic part of the war, while putting the two superbombers GMI and HKA have to use.

2 hours ago, JTpopcorn said:

would not necessarily have large military defenses.

Which would be the point. Since companies only have civilian bases, they're going to deploy their own craft, or even prototypes to defend their seat against the attack.

https://kerbalx.com/Matuchkin/b1

Guys, does this count as a superbomber?

How to operate:

With full payload (as put in by default), the plane in barely manoeuvrable. This is not supposed to be a problem, as the plane is supposed to be a strategic bomber, not a fighter. After you will expend your ordnance, the plane will become much more manoeuvrable.

How to surpass the manoeuvrability problem? You have to take off from a location that is farther away from your bombing target, so that you can gain safe altitude and speed before reaching your target. Then, manoeuvrability will not be a problem anymore, as you will mostly be safe from SAMs and AA, and will be travelling in a straight line anyway.

I have not tested its landing abilities, as I have a horrible computer. Please test this for me.

You need a good computer for this, one that can have minimal lag at 250 parts. @HatBat, I'm referring to you here, as you seem to have a good computer and are the OP of the thread.

The reccomended RPM for firing the bombs is 1600 rounds per minute.

How to take off with full JDAM and GBL payload:

The main gear will lose contact with the ground at approximately 110 meters per second. After that, just wait. If you see that the plane is not gaining enough speed, stop your wheelie and go over the runway edge to take off. After that, wait a few seconds with gear still down (to make sure that the plane isn't gliding down or falling), then pitch up to approximately 10-20 degrees (more if the plane can handle it without slowing down), and play the waiting game. As the plane has a tendency to slowly nose down, you can attach a mechjeb part to it and use autopilot if you wish.

Edited by Matuchkin

56 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

With full payload (as put in by default), the plane in barely manoeuvrable.

I've been testing my B-2 with full loadout of 60 000lb of bombs. It can take off from the runway, circle around in about 1-2km and come back to bomb the VAB. Here's the testing course I've followed.

Os8JNdS.png Also, how do you fire bombs continually at a set RPM?

6 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

I've been testing my B-2 with full loadout of 60 000lb of bombs. It can take off from the runway, circle around in about 1-2km and come back to bomb the VAB. Here's the testing course I've followed.

Os8JNdS.png

Well, your bomber is small compared to mine. My bomber has three mk3 cargo bay columns, each with 2 long bays. Each bay is filled with rotary drums, that have 8 bombs on each drum. I armed it with a crepe ton of GBL cluster bombs and JDAM 1000kg bombs. Also, I see your bomber is meant for a quick, low altitude assault. My bomber, on the other hand, is meant to travel large distances at high altitudes. Hence, my bomber has huge wings and a ton of fuel. With my bomber, manoeuvrability is not a priority- capacity, range and altitude is.

Of course, all of that is not tested yet, as I barely have time at the moment. Therefore, I gave a DL link for you guys to try and give me hints on.

13 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Also, how do you fire bombs continually at a set RPM?

Same way as anything else. Select the bomb in the weapons tab in the weapon manager, then enable ripple. With my bomber, you should set the ripple to 1600rpm.

1 hour ago, Matuchkin said:

Also, I see your bomber is meant for a quick, low altitude assault. My bomber, on the other hand, is meant to travel large distances at high altitudes.

It's meant to be a strategic and tactical bomber at the same time. It's able to cruise at Mach 3 for precision bombing on far away targets, but it has its own equipment for battlefield tactical level missions too. I've tried to build it with Mk3 fuselages too, but it was way too laggy.

How many bombs can your plane bring?

Edit: Saw the bomber, it's pretty huge. About 150 000lb of bombs, wow. So far, as soon as I put it on the runway, it crashes. I've been able to make it fly with unbreakable joints and no crash damage, but the wings don't have struts, so they're very floppy.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

47 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Edit: Saw the bomber, it's pretty huge. About 150 000lb of bombs, wow. So far, as soon as I put it on the runway, it crashes. I've been able to make it fly with unbreakable joints and no crash damage, but the wings don't have struts, so they're very floppy.

Do you have KJR? With my save, the bomber doesn't seem to have many problems.

Also, I'd like to know If my bomber reaches the size/ capacity standards of bombers around this thread, to see if I'm catching up.

Edited by Matuchkin

KJR is a mod that is not on the list, so unless things change, KJR is a no. Adding struts should help, but keeping everything as close to stock as possible limits potential bugs.

Matuchkin, could you potentially post an image of the bomber, the picture on KerbalX appears to be of a shuttle giving the ground a high five with its face...:D

Does anyone know @HatBat's policy on clipping parts? I'm wondering if I could clip some Wheesleys inside my ramjets to give my bombers more power.

If it looks ok, and it doesn't cause spontaneous combustion I think its ok.

13 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Some ejection pod testing for the new B-2A. Works pretty good, I'm thinking about adding it for my future planes.

Nice job! If you could clip the sepratrons a little more I think it would look amazing.

Any idea of what the minimum altitude is? I would guess around zero meters but parachute delay might factor in.

1 hour ago, JTpopcorn said:

Any idea of what the minimum altitude is?

Since we have separtrons and drogue chutes, I think it's possible to use at 0 altitude. The separtrons already boost the cockpit several meters into the air, so there's time for the chutes.

1 hour ago, Matuchkin said:

How many pounds of bombs?

32 000 internal load. I've decided to keep it completely internal, but I could bring twice that if I include external mounts. I haven't bothered testing the complete maximum payload though, so it can probably carry even more.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

32 000 internal load. I've decided to keep it completely internal, but I could bring twice that if I include external mounts. I haven't bothered testing the complete maximum payload though, so it can probably carry even more.

Not bad for a thing that size.

I'm yet to break the B-52 capacity.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.