[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

I was just daydreaming -- would something like this work for delayed recovery of the active vessel if half-way around the planet? Jeb splashes down and you have to wait a week for him and the capsule to return...
What does the KCT recovery actually do right now?

Almost this. The KCT recover to storage feature has a time limit based on distance, but you get the Kerbals and science and all that back immediately. That's mostly because overriding the default recovery behavior is not a simple matter, and even if I did there's a decent chance it might break compatibility with other mods that depend on recovery. CrewQueue has a feature that makes it so Kerbals need a short vacation after missions, which might be closer to what Beetlecat has in mind. Enneract is CrewQueue's author, and has done a bit of work to add compatibility between KCT and it.

My bad, I picked up the wrong file. This is the correct one!

EDIT: At the moment I have removed the KCT mod because it was not working. Should I add it again and then upload the output file?

Generally helps to have KCT installed when reporting a KCT bug ;) But it's alright in this case because I don't think any errors are being logged anyway. For the purposes of comparing mod lists (for future testing when I get the chance), the log you've uploaded is fine.

Here are the common mods (versions might be different between you and MacerV):

KerbalEngineer v1.0.16.6 / v1.0.16.6
MiniAVC v1.0.3.0 / v1.0.3.0
KerboKatzUtilities v1.2.0.0 / v1.2.1.0
CraftHistory v1.4.0.0 / v1.4.0.0
FinalFrontier v1.0.0.0 / v1.0.0.0
ModuleManager.2.6.2 v2.6.2.0 / v
StageRecovery v1.5.4.0 / v1.5.4.0

I'm going to guess it's not StageRecovery (btw, Pigowallace you should update StageRecovery to version 1.5.5 if you're running 1.0.1 or 1.0.2). The only other two I suspect would be FinalFrontier (unlikely) or CraftHistory (more likely) (or Engineer, but that would be very strange). If either one of you can try removing CraftHistory and then see if the bug still occurs (obviously with KCT installed), it'd be very much appreciated. It might also be one of the other KerboKatz mods, but CraftHistory is the most likely candidate.

Edited by magico13
Forgot to actually respond to the other issues.

@magico13 There's a plugin that needs to be supported by KCT mod. All the parts from KIS inventories never go to the construction inventory on recovery.

Currently using a workaround: empty inventories before recovering vessels.

All the parts from KIS inventories never go to the construction inventory on recovery.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Probably will just require looping through some ConfigNodes upon recovery. It won't be fixed for probably at least a week though.

Edit: Actually, this is a double headed problem. It doesn't add parts to the inventory upon recovery, but it also doesn't take them out of the inventory when you build them. Right now it's actually somewhat balanced. To properly fix this, I'll have to start taking the KIS inventory parts out of the part inventory upon building (and somehow get the costs/masses/times to work properly).

Edited by magico13

...Could you (or anyone else with this bug) turn on Debug messages in the KCT settings....Did you at any point while in the editor press the New or Load buttons after adding the ship to the build list? I think they redid how those buttons work, which might cause issues with KCT, but I haven't gotten a chance to test them.

Did as you asked, here, is the new output log. I engaged the debug option, exited the game and started up again. I then went to the launch site and told it to launch a craft, it went into a simulation which I crashed and ended, and in the end got an actual error (like KCT popped up and was like, "you dun ....ed up now") which I had seen once before under different circumstances. Anyways, here's the file.

Here are the common mods (versions might be different between you and MacerV):

KerbalEngineer v1.0.16.6 / v1.0.16.6
MiniAVC v1.0.3.0 / v1.0.3.0
KerboKatzUtilities v1.2.0.0 / v1.2.1.0
CraftHistory v1.4.0.0 / v1.4.0.0
FinalFrontier v1.0.0.0 / v1.0.0.0
ModuleManager.2.6.2 v2.6.2.0 / v
StageRecovery v1.5.4.0 / v1.5.4.0

I'm going to guess it's not StageRecovery (btw, Pigowallace you should update StageRecovery to version 1.5.5 if you're running 1.0.1 or 1.0.2). The only other two I suspect would be FinalFrontier (unlikely) or CraftHistory (more likely) (or Engineer, but that would be very strange). If either one of you can try removing CraftHistory and then see if the bug still occurs (obviously with KCT installed), it'd be very much appreciated. It might also be one of the other KerboKatz mods, but CraftHistory is the most likely candidate.

I uninstalled CraftHistory and its working now. Hopefully the error I made will help you figure out why exactly. Sorry I didn't post sooner, really need to figure out how to get email notifications on this thing.

Hello magico! Just started a campaign, probably temporary until more mods update.

Either I am doing something wrong, or is there a way to increase the time contracts stay available? And how much time do building upgrades take? I find myself unable to get some good contracts because, you know, 8 days to build a rocket. Any way to increase contract availability from 4d to say 10? Thanks anyway, the mods is looking amazing!

Hello magico! Just started a campaign, probably temporary until more mods update.

Either I am doing something wrong, or is there a way to increase the time contracts stay available? And how much time do building upgrades take? I find myself unable to get some good contracts because, you know, 8 days to build a rocket. Any way to increase contract availability from 4d to say 10? Thanks anyway, the mods is looking amazing!

Accept anything you think you'll be able to build a rocket for. Most contracts give you a few months or a year to complete them after you accept them. You won't have room to accept everything that's generated that you like during the early stages of limited Mission Control capacity, but my advice is to try not to stress over that. There will always eventually be more good contracts where those came from.

Yeah, I find most contracts have a deadline that's between 1 and 5 years, but only a few days to accept them. Just pick the ones you want and build ships to complete them, or pick ones based on the ships you've already got built

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Probably will just require looping through some ConfigNodes upon recovery. It won't be fixed for probably at least a week though.

Edit: Actually, this is a double headed problem. It doesn't add parts to the inventory upon recovery, but it also doesn't take them out of the inventory when you build them. Right now it's actually somewhat balanced. To properly fix this, I'll have to start taking the KIS inventory parts out of the part inventory upon building (and somehow get the costs/masses/times to work properly).

The KIS plugin currently adds all costs and masses of the carried parts to the container.

The KIS plugin currently adds all costs and masses of the carried parts to the container.

Right, so I have to manually split those costs and masses up into individual parts for it to work with KCT's inventory. Right now if you have the container in your inventory, all the parts inside it are considered to be in the KCT inventory as well, meaning you don't really have to pay much for their build times. By splitting it up you'll have to start paying in time for anything not in the KCT inventory.

Hi magico

Not sure if this has already been reported, but I seem to have encountered a bug. Looked through the last 5 or 6 pages of the thread (up to the last release) and didn't see it mentioned.

I was playing in sandbox with KCT disabled for that save. Quit out of that, then started a new career game. The usual KCT box at the start of a career didn't pop up, so I checked the settings. "Enabled for this save" was set to "disabled". I enabled it, went to spend my 15 upgrade points, and was quite surprised to see I had 45 upgrade points. Seems KCT might be a little mixed up about what save I'm in?

Playing on Linux 64-bit if that makes any difference. Logs are here if they're any use. The ones that start with "min" are from a minimal install with just KCT, Stage Recovery and Module Manager where all I did was start two new games to reproduce the bug. The others are from a moderately modded game (anything less than 100 mods is moderate to me). Same effect in both.

Thanks for the report. There's probably a set of data that isn't being reset when exiting a save. New saves tend to make that worse, since the OnLoad event doesn't happen for them during the first load. Sounds like it's pretty easy to reproduce, so I should be able to fix it pretty easily when I get a chance to work on this again. In the mean time you'll have to restart KSP prior to starting a new save (but not when switching between already existing saves, that should still work fine).

@magico13 (and everybody else)

RemoteTech is released :sticktongue:

And talking about it, did they get to do that compatibility option to disable the connection requirement for simulations?

Modders

Modders can now add their own commands directly to the flightcomputer queue (experimental) For more infos please see this thread

We added a new method `HasLocalControl(GUID): bool` to check the vessel is local controlled or not

I'm guessing this is the API in question to solve the issue :confused:

@magico13 (and everybody else)

RemoteTech is released :sticktongue:

And talking about it, did they get to do that compatibility option to disable the connection requirement for simulations?

I'm guessing this is the API in question to solve the issue :confused:

It sounds like I might be able to make simulations with RT still have control. That would be awesome, so I'll probably add that (or enneract will in HoloDeck).

Hi! Love the mod, having one strange issue. I did a quick search to see if anyone had heard of it, but no such. Basically, when I recover a vessel from landing and try to edit it in the VAB or SPH, the vessel is above the ceiling. Sometimes, I can get lucky and click on it, then move it back down to where I can work on it; sometimes I can't. I can provide screenshots or logs, and I am wide open to suggestions.

Thanks, and thanks for this terrific mod!

Hi! Love the mod, having one strange issue. I did a quick search to see if anyone had heard of it, but no such. Basically, when I recover a vessel from landing and try to edit it in the VAB or SPH, the vessel is above the ceiling. Sometimes, I can get lucky and click on it, then move it back down to where I can work on it; sometimes I can't. I can provide screenshots or logs, and I am wide open to suggestions.

Thanks, and thanks for this terrific mod!

That whole system is a bit buggy, due mostly to the fact that KSP isn't really designed to go from an in-flight vessel to a craft in the editor. Numerous things can go wrong in the conversion, and I imagine mod parts make it more likely to get messed up. My only suggestion would be to quick save before you recover the craft and if something goes wrong, load from the quicksave and try again. There's code in there to place the vessel on the ground, meaning it shouldn't appear in the ceiling, but like I said, the whole system is bound to have problems.

I might be able to fix/reduce some of the issues in the future, but it'll always act kinda funky. My own disdain for that feature doesn't particularly help it's development either, unfortunately, but I spent a lot of time on it and it's a giant pain in the butt.

Hi,

I don't know if I the other mods inteferrencing this, but with KCT i can't simulate a Plane. When it loads, the input and camera is "disabled" and i can't rotate, cant use any controlls, even if I exit the game to the main menu, I the menus are "grey" and cannot be clicked.

I'm hitting an issue with KCT locking the input of the VAB's buttons, locking me out of clicking anything other than GUI overlays (i.e. Debug menu, MJ2 windows, etc.) It seems to happen after a simulation upon reverting to the VAB/SPH and clicking Save or Launch. All of the buttons get greyed out and the only way out is a full KSP restart.

The Alt+F12 'Show Input Lock Stack' displays this:

KER_BuildAdvanced
EditorDriver_GameParameters
KCTGUILock

The issue only occurs once KCTGUILock is initiated. Clearing the lock stack reenables the buttons, but clicking save/launch reengages the lock, but the Exit to KSC button still works. Exiting the VAB and reentering the VAB does not fix the issue, nor does returning the the Main Menu and reloading the Save. A full restart is required.

A full list of my mods with potentially pertinent mods in bold:

KSP: 1.0.2 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit
USI Tools - 0.4
Ambient Light Adjustment - 1.4.3.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.3.3
Contract Configurator - 1.0.4
Contract Pack: Kerbal Space Station - 1.3.3
Contract Pack: Tourism Plus - 1.1.1
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.5.1
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.0.3
Dynamic Deflection - 1.1.2
[b]Editor Extensions - 2.7[/b]
Firespitter - 7.1.1
Flight Manager for Reusable Stages [FMRS] - 1.0
GCMonitor - 1.2.3
Kerbal Construction Time - 1.1.6
[b]Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.0.16.6[/b]
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.3
KerboKatzUtilities - 1.2.5
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.2
PlanetShine - 0.2.2.3
QuickScroll - 1.2.2
QuickSearch - 1.1.2
RealChute - 1.3.2.3
SAS Reset - 1.1.1
ShipManifest - 4.2.0.2
SmartParts - 1.5.1
SmartStage - 2.6.1
StageRecovery - 1.5.5
TAC Fuel Balancer - 2.5.1.7
TextureReplacer - 2.4.3
TAC Life Support - 0.11.1.20
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.3.1.1
Alternate Resource Panel - 2.7.1
TweakScale - 2.1
Sounding Rockets - 0.2
Universal Storage - 1.1.0.2
Waypoint Manager - 2.3.2

I'm hitting an issue with KCT locking the input of the VAB's buttons, locking me out of clicking anything other than GUI overlays (i.e. Debug menu, MJ2 windows, etc.) It seems to happen after a simulation upon reverting to the VAB/SPH and clicking Save or Launch. All of the buttons get greyed out and the only way out is a full KSP restart.

Pardon me, but it seems like a broken something, this usually happens when some mods are installed wrongly, MM patches and whatnots,

Happened to me by having to part with same database name, you may want to check things better. And yes, it could be caused by several things, not only those two mods.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Magico, I'm imagining a way to make the recovery vessel work without you cracking your head.

Instead of trying to gather the whole craft and place it again in the SPH (most likely necessary to edit anyway), instead devise a way so we can left the craft park around the KSC, instead of bringing the craft back to the vessel list there would a option to refuel/reset experiments, this way all we need to recover are the science and kerbal manually. and make some way to spawn the kerbals around the parking area.

Is it too far fetched? I think it would be fun, what feedback others have?

Not meant to bum you out, so far the recovery seems to be working perfectly in the launchpad, and semi-perfectly in the runway. The plane spawns pointed up, which might be because the difference in axis from the SPH and VAB.

You might want to look into that to fix the issues, apart from that, I've noticed a long time being taken to refit the craft, even with minor alterations.

With that being said, the system is nearly working. The leaving the parked craft there would be cool too, and if for some reason there was some structural damage, itwould need to be taken apart and refit, as it should in RL.

On a side note, having tons of fun, around day 150 and still haven't got much far.:)

screenshot_2015_05_09_03_04_15.jpg

Hi,

I don't know if I the other mods inteferrencing this, but with KCT i can't simulate a Plane. When it loads, the input and camera is "disabled" and i can't rotate, cant use any controlls, even if I exit the game to the main menu, I the menus are "grey" and cannot be clicked.

This and the next thing are somewhat related (though maybe not directly). Somehow an Input Lock got stuck on. That sometimes happens when there's a window behind the simulate button (like a mechjeb or kerbal engineer window). Those mods recognize the cursor is over their window and lock down the editor, but when you press the simulate button they never realize their windows disappear and so they keep things locked down. The scene changes and the locks are still active. You can either clear them manually in the debug menu, or make sure there's no windows behind the simulate button. If that isn't the case, then I'll need minimally logs, but screenshots or video help a lot with these kinds of issues.

The Alt+F12 'Show Input Lock Stack' displays this:

KER_BuildAdvanced
EditorDriver_GameParameters
KCTGUILock

The issue only occurs once KCTGUILock is initiated. Clearing the lock stack reenables the buttons, but clicking save/launch reengages the lock, but the Exit to KSC button still works. Exiting the VAB and reentering the VAB does not fix the issue, nor does returning the the Main Menu and reloading the Save. A full restart is required.

Do you have build times active as well? That knowledge will help me narrow down where things are getting messed up. The KCTGUILock should only activate when you open the simulation options window or the launch window. If that window is open, then yeah the editor will be locked, but if it's closed then that shouldn't be there. Clicking Save won't trigger that. Clicking Launch will cause it to lock, but clicking Build Vessel or Cancel will unlock it 1 frame later. When the Simulation Configure window is open it will be locked, but clicking Simulate or Cancel will also unlock the editor a frame later. The KER lock would also have similar symptoms, but should only be active when the cursor is over a KER window. Make sure there isn't a window behind the Simulation Configure window (especially the simulate button itself) when you start a simulation. If there is, that's probably the problem. If not, then video or screenshots might help.

Hey Magico, I'm imagining a way to make the recovery vessel work without you cracking your head.

Instead of trying to gather the whole craft and place it again in the SPH (most likely necessary to edit anyway), instead devise a way so we can left the craft park around the KSC, instead of bringing the craft back to the vessel list there would a option to refuel/reset experiments, this way all we need to recover are the science and kerbal manually. and make some way to spawn the kerbals around the parking area.

Is it too far fetched? I think it would be fun, what feedback others have?

Not meant to bum you out, so far the recovery seems to be working perfectly in the launchpad, and semi-perfectly in the runway. The plane spawns pointed up, which might be because the difference in axis from the SPH and VAB.

You might want to look into that to fix the issues, apart from that, I've noticed a long time being taken to refit the craft, even with minor alterations.

With that being said, the system is nearly working. The leaving the parked craft there would be cool too, and if for some reason there was some structural damage, itwould need to be taken apart and refit, as it should in RL.

That could be an option. I could physically move the vessels somewhere. Alternatively, I could make it so you can't edit them at all and just save them as Vessel objects instead of ShipConstructs. You would literally never be able to view them in the editor or make changes, but I could let you refuel (and could automatically clean science experiments). I could maybe have both as options. You recover it as a Vessel, but can try to convert it into a ShipConstruct to make changes.

As for planes pointed upward, I knew about that issue before release. The instant you click on a part in the SPH it flips forward, like it knows the direction is wrong but just needs updated somehow. If I manually flip it 90 degrees, it'll point down when you edit it. It's a fun mess.

That could be an option. I could physically move the vessels somewhere. Alternatively, I could make it so you can't edit them at all and just save them as Vessel objects instead of ShipConstructs. You would literally never be able to view them in the editor or make changes, but I could let you refuel (and could automatically clean science experiments). I could maybe have both as options. You recover it as a Vessel, but can try to convert it into a ShipConstruct to make changes.

As for planes pointed upward, I knew about that issue before release. The instant you click on a part in the SPH it flips forward, like it knows the direction is wrong but just needs updated somehow. If I manually flip it 90 degrees, it'll point down when you edit it. It's a fun mess.

Yeah I've noticed the point down thing happens immediately. But if you don't edit before launching again the craft, doesn't it still appear pointed up, I think I've saw this before and didn't bother with it.

About the suggestion, I've mentioned this before too, alternatively you could make so you can't edit, but instead edit a craft save file to make alterations, and so, if you want to make alterations to already stored craft, point it to the save craft file, either manually by the user or automatically by some reference, and then finally apply the needed alterations in construction.

Could be cheaty though, completely altering a craft with the same parts and such. But for role-playing purposes I think its ok. The reloading/repairing done like that as well.

Do you have build times active as well? That knowledge will help me narrow down where things are getting messed up. The KCTGUILock should only activate when you open the simulation options window or the launch window. If that window is open, then yeah the editor will be locked, but if it's closed then that shouldn't be there. Clicking Save won't trigger that. Clicking Launch will cause it to lock, but clicking Build Vessel or Cancel will unlock it 1 frame later. When the Simulation Configure window is open it will be locked, but clicking Simulate or Cancel will also unlock the editor a frame later. The KER lock would also have similar symptoms, but should only be active when the cursor is over a KER window. Make sure there isn't a window behind the Simulation Configure window (especially the simulate button itself) when you start a simulation. If there is, that's probably the problem. If not, then video or screenshots might help.

I do have build times enabled. I'm trying a KCT reinstall as we speak to see if it's a quick fix. I haven't considered the thought that the simulation window may have spawned somewhere it isn't visible, but I have also been getting issues with the simulation countdown appearing at KSC saying "Pre-Launch," causing other problems like unlocking a tech node, losing the science and the node not giving an upgrade point or taking any time despite research time being on.

I didn't think KER had much to do with anything, but I mentioned it in case the KER lock interfered with the KCT lock.

If the reinstall didn't fix everything, I'll do a more thorough report with a video.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, disabling the launch button override functioned as a workaround as you'd expect.

Edited by Cleric2145

I do have build times enabled. I'm trying a KCT reinstall as we speak to see if it's a quick fix. I haven't considered the thought that the simulation window may have spawned somewhere it isn't visible, but I have also been getting issues with the simulation countdown appearing at KSC saying "Pre-Launch," causing other problems like unlocking a tech node, losing the science and the node not giving an upgrade point or taking any time despite research time being on.

I didn't think KER had much to do with anything, but I mentioned it in case the KER lock interfered with the KCT lock.

If the reinstall didn't fix everything, I'll do a more thorough report with a video.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, disabling the launch button override functioned as a workaround as you'd expect.

Wow, if you're getting the simulation timer in the space center scene then something is seriously messed up. If the reinstall doesn't work, please send logs (preferably with the debug messages setting enabled in the KCT settings).

In the past I had seen many reports about simulations having locked cameras and it was always with mechjeb installed, but it wasn't guaranteed to happen (I tested it, and so did JeffreyCor without any incident). After several months of the issue randomly occuring for a small percentage of users, someone finally submitted a video of it. There was a mechjeb window open behind the simulation configure window, so the mechjeb lock stayed on. I submitted a report to the mechjeb developer and it was fixed within a day :P Stupid things happen in this game to cause problems.

I have similar stories about Tarsier Space Tech and Contract Configurator having minor issues and totally breaking KCT installs.

Yeah trying again today, something has completely broken KCT. Tech and KSC upgrades are instant despite KCT options saying otherwise. No upgrade points come from tech either.

I'll turn on debugging and get you some logs.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxerynr5q6n4s2k/output_log.txt?dl=0

Here's what the log should show:

Load KSP

Load Save Game 'Eh'

Load Quicksave "Debug"

Enter VAB

Exit VAB

Upgrade VAB (Instant)

Enter R&D

Research Tech Node "Adv Construction" (Instant, no upgrades earned)

Check KCT settings to ensure No instant Build/Research and Debug On

Exit KSP

Just a thought. I think it would be neat to be able to split up your VAB/SPH build queues. For example, you could have a separate queue for manned missions and one for your probes. That way you can prioritize missions without interference from the other queues. The upgrade points would work no different.

A typical example I may use:

Manned (VAB)

1. Kerbal Space Station Crew Replacement

2. Mun Landing Mission

3. Minmus Landing Mission

Kerbal-JPL (VAB)

1. Jool Explorer 3

2. Duna Lander 1

2. Dres Explorer 1

3. Eeloo Explorer 1

SPH

1. SSTO Test

2. Fighter Jet (I really don't know, not too big into planes :blush:)