[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

Just noticed something about stock 2.5m tanks. They actually have a curved bulkhead on the inside already. They're not mostly flat after all! Take a really close look from the side to see what I mean, it actually curves up into the sides of the tank.

1.25m stock tanks however, are still flat-topped.

I found some mistypes in MM-cofig.

--- "Part Revamp-MM.cfg.orig" 2015-01-16 22:33:53.337657482 +0300

+++ "Part Revamp-MM.cfg" 2015-01-16 22:34:02.373657462 +0300

@@ -1555,7 +1555,7 @@

}

}

@PART[solarPanels2] {

- @title = SP-L 1x5 Photovoltaic Panels

+ @title = SP-L 1x6 Photovoltaic Panels

!mesh = DELETE

MODEL {

@@ -1579,7 +1579,7 @@

}

}

@PART[solarPanels4] {

- @title = OX-4L 1x5 Photovoltaic Panels

+ @title = OX-4L 1x6 Photovoltaic Panels

!mesh = DELETE

MODEL {

Ven, there seem to be two different versions of the turbojet floating around somewhere. The latest pic of them on the plane (in the original post album) and then the pic of the LV909 shows a very different version (which I honestly like better). The download includes the former, so where should I be looking to find the latter?

Ven, there seem to be two different versions of the turbojet floating around somewhere. The latest pic of them on the plane (in the original post album) and then the pic of the LV909 shows a very different version (which I honestly like better). The download includes the former, so where should I be looking to find the latter?

that's the old version, the aerospike was different too. I actually prefer the new one for the turbojet, but I would love to use it for AJE scramjet. I've it maybe laying around somewhere, but before i start digging I would like to request a official-unofficial deprecated download with old models from ven, as some people might find it useful. Maybe separated from the main one to avoid confusing people.

The tanks doesn't have tank butts. You should get some adaptor to hide that, or use an engine with engine butt.

I really like Ven's engine textures but I really want engine butts, and adding adapters causes the fairings for decouplers to not go up all the way.

Unrelated to my last post, but though I adore this mod there are a few cases where I prefer the stock model. Is there a way to disable just those ones?

Comment out the part in the ModuleManger config.

After just doing a search for "disable" and finding very few posts. This seemed the most relevant, and the answer is, honestly, not the most ideal. When the mod updates they/I have to remember to go through and re-edit the file to remove all the undesired part changes.

I will probably make a copy of the file and modify that though, and just disable the one from this mod. I did however inquire on the MM thread about disabling/stopping edits from other MM patches before they're made.

And, so I'm not just complaining, I REALLY like a lot of these parts, they make some of the other stock-like parts mods look kind of meh. Mostly just got this because of Mk1-2 pod, but going to use most of it.

After just doing a search for "disable" and finding very few posts. This seemed the most relevant, and the answer is, honestly, not the most ideal. When the mod updates they/I have to remember to go through and re-edit the file to remove all the undesired part changes.

I will probably make a copy of the file and modify that though, and just disable the one from this mod. I did however inquire on the MM thread about disabling/stopping edits from other MM patches before they're made.

And, so I'm not just complaining, I REALLY like a lot of these parts, they make some of the other stock-like parts mods look kind of meh. Mostly just got this because of Mk1-2 pod, but going to use most of it.

Does MM actually make the changes to the files? I'm just going to edit the MM file to not switch the textures and models for the ones I want. Will that not work?

Does MM actually make the changes to the files? I'm just going to edit the MM file to not switch the textures and models for the ones I want. Will that not work?

The edits get made at load time, don't ask me the process, I have no clue. There are certain keywords that can be added, such as :FINAL, that will tell MM to load that config after all others, and you can do a :BEFORE to tell it to load before certain other things. It can get quite complex, and I don't know where all the documentation is, I just look through other mod's MM files to figure out how to use it.

My issue with editing the file directly is that, when a new update comes out, all of my edits will be lost. By copying the file and making my edits to the copy, when a new version comes out I can do a diff to see what changes might need to be made to the ones I kept, merge, and then delete this mod's file. I keep a separate folder called "Tweaks" full of all my custom MM tweaks that I copy between updates and manage independently of mods. Keeps me sane.

It *should* work in most cases, if you just remove the MM changes you don't want. Because of the way MM actually reads a cfg with the edits applied when applying additional edits, there is a chance for breaking something, but the odds of that kind of interaction are low.

There is an included batch file which in fact prevents the stock assets this replaces from loading (memory savings). I have no idea what that does of how it does it and as a safety, I reinstalled my Squad folder after removing this mod (it alters some stock 'standards' which many other stockalike mods model against like the docking port, which makes it indirectly conflict with certain must-have mods).

I think I'm gonna have to play without this mod until we get the option to choose only what parts we want changed, like as smaller packs. I was planning to just edit the MM files but it's very tedious. It's really too bad too, because I really like the changes to the capsules and solar panels. I just don't want the engine and tank changes.

I have an idea on how to make that easier.

Basically, I will (assuming Ven's OK with it) change the MM patch to only apply to parts that do not have VenSkip=true in them. So you can write an MM patch that runs on :FIRST that adds VenSkip = true to any parts you want skipped.

Basically, I will (assuming Ven's OK with it) change the MM patch to only apply to parts that do not have VenSkip=true in them. So you can write an MM patch that runs on :FIRST that adds VenSkip = true to any parts you want skipped.

Not 100% effective since the models and textures will still be loaded into memory, but at the very least would prevent the parts from being replaced in-game. I think a more consistent solution would be to just divide up the cfg into individual parts which would be placed in the respective folders along with models and textures, and those could just be deleted.

That would be at least a partial solution, and easier than editing the file for sure.

Not 100% effective since the models and textures will still be loaded into memory, but at the very least would prevent the parts from being replaced in-game. I think a more consistent solution would be to just divide up the cfg into individual parts which would be placed in the respective folders along with models and textures, and those could just be deleted.

Dividing it up would be more consistent, but considering the vast number of parts modified tedious to maintain. I have not run the part removing script and I'm not using a whole lot more memory with this running (along with quite a few other mods, but nothing as big as say, B9 or KW).

I do agree that for consistency and compatibility it should be divided up, so that it's very easy to remove parts people don't want. I wound up making a copy of the config and just commenting out the parts I didn't want, and making adjustments to the ones I thought needed adjustments (like adding the capacity of a toroidal fuel tank to the LV-909 with the tank on it).

Love these parts, but I'm having trouble placing radial mono tanks in the vab. They bounce around and/or sometimes just don't want to be placed anywhere. Removing the revamp folder fixes the issue. I like all the other parts. So I'm digging through the cfgs trying to disable the radial rcs revamps but havening figured it out yet.

Am I alone in this?

BTW, Texture Replacer has a nice reflection shader. With some 1337 haxor skills I've managed to get them to work in some estra places, with nice results:

http://imgur.com/a/Y2tGm

I don't like them on the tanks, though I would be fine with them on the grey Rockomax tanks, because they're supposed to be silver-ish. Definitely on some of the details of the Kerbodyne parts need shiny chrome bits. It should be used sparingly.

Two things about the prune scripts: The new ones don't seem to work on OS X (added an issue on Github).

Also in some configurations they seem to prevent other mods from loading squads textures (like Lacks SXT). Active Texture Management might also be involved in producing these problems…

___ UPDATE ___

There seems to be a patch by Nathaniel to allow SXT using the needed textures:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79542-90-SXT-Lack-s-Stock-Extension-SXT-19-07DEC14-KSC-v3?p=1679143&viewfull=1#post1679143

Maybe there will be something more elegant available in the future?

Edited by mecki

Well, for that issue (e.g mods wanting to use squad textures and users wanting to use as little memory as humanly possible) we would either need the override install method again, so the new parts now also get ven's textures - or you need to write an mm patch for every part that needs it. Maybe there is a more elegant solution though, my skill with MM is limited.

Really? Sure the real tanks had the orange inside, but the rocket engines covered them up so they weren't visible. Having the engine not fit around the tank properly makes it look like there's a part missing.

ksc0217.jpg

Saturn_V_Rocket_Stage_S_IVB_-_1992.jpg

The tanks do not necessarily have orange-insulated bulkheads, but you can clearly see the actual tanks above these engines.

I totally agree, though only upper stage engines were that bare and just bolted to the tank. First stage engines were almost always covered by some sort of fairing.

zosnCBn.jpg

E6dWY6f.jpg

I'd like some way to do that better, though not just by making a load of parts for it. Maybe something based off procedural fairings, but more controllable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.