no sciencebutton

Have been trying to get this to work for the last ... *checks clock* ... erm ... 6 hours today, and several evenings for a week and a half ... frustration is rising ;-) , as this is the only little thing that doesn't work (instead of a button, there is something like 'shieldedsomething false' (whatever that means) were the button is supposed to be).

Just to be clear, as I'm not very computersavy: I can't get crewreports or EVA or anything else, contracts do give me science

I suppose I can play sandbox, so i don't need the science button ... but still, it sucks.

Not playing stock,

I have the latest version, all the mods are downloaded today (4th time now) (so as far as i can tell, every thing should be up to date)

I have always started from a new/clean version (fresh download).

Mods installed (and working, again, as far as i can tell):

000_Toolbar; DeadlyReentry; DistantObject; FerramAerospaceResearch; FinePrint; KerbalJointReinforcement; KSPLua; KWRocketry; ModStatistics; NASAmission; NavHud; PartCatalog;PreciseNode; ProceduralFairings; RealChute; RemoteTech2; SCANsat; SCANsat-master; ScienceAlert; Squad; SurfaceLights; ThunderAerospace; TriggerTech; TweakScale; modulemanager.2.3.4.dll

Note: the same problem when the following mods were not installed : KWRocketry, NavHud, PreciseNode, RealChute; RemoteTech2; SCANsat; SCANsat-master; ScienceAlert, DistantObject

Playing 32-bit version (64-bit crashes on loadup)

I don't have any logs (don't know where to get them?)

On my last try, some items are hidden (71 out of 518, but the sciencebutton wasn't there either when 0 items were hidden)(probably I did something wrong, but the game is working (not crashing or doing anything weirder than normal))

At the moment, I'm going to give it a rest, again ... so trying to get it to work might not be on my todo-list for the next few days ;-)

Any tips on how to resolve this problem or were to look for usefull information (so that more savy people can have a look) are appreciated.

I'll try to post a decent supportticket later (I have located that log),

might be tomorrow, probably monday or thuesday.

Thanks already for the replies!

Good night.

I'll have to figure out how to upload that log and screenshots (must have overread that part ... patience is something i'm working on ;-) )(copy/paste will not do?), more stuff to figure out :-D

Yeah, I'm pretty hopeless with this kind of stuff :-p , but I'll figure it out eventually.

The guide suggests using dropbox.com to upload the log; you can sign up with them for a free account (it's very useful) and follow their steps to upload the log and share it. You can also use other hosting services too...

For screenshots, I suggest using imgur.com -- it's a fast, free way to upload screenshots and is used by most people on these forums.

Good luck, and let me know if you run into issues with that!

Had this issue a couple of days ago (cant find the link to the solution) basically if you are on steam you just need to verify integrity and it you should get the button back.

When i did it i backed up the gamedata and saves then re-installed it and restored them but that may be over the top.

edit: found it here but it tells be that I "do not have permission to access this page". you can still find a cached copy on google though.

Edited by TDW

Sorry, I haven't found the time yet to check this further out. (or play games for that matter ;-) )

Verifying integrity is something I also tried, but I didn't reinstall the gamedata. (I'll give that a shot aswell)

Real life should stop interfering with my freetime! :-p

Some outputlogs (3, from different tries).

Also 2 screenshots showing what I mean.

Dropboxlink :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/46qnwblwx4xznb1/AAA4TR4gkXVHkSO2RuIGy3EZa?dl=0

Figuring this out as I go along, just tell me if something is wrong or not like it is suposed to be.

I'll try reinstalling mod by mod and see when the problem starts to occur, I'll post when I find something.

Edit: I'll also try to find the versionnumbers from the mods (they were all downloaded at the same time and should have been up to date)

Edited by Dugeusclin

Dugeusclin, I've looked through the log file you posted and I have one question. Are you playing in sandbox mode, or one of the career modes? If you're playing in sandbox mode the R&D center is disabled, and though I'm not certain right off the ability to take crew reports, eva reports, and so on is also disabled as there would be no point to them without the R&D center. If you're playing one of the career modes I'd try removing mods one at a time to see if you get science functionality back. I would suggest removing ScienceAlert first in that case as I imagine it would have the most direct interaction with the science side of the stock game and thus may have a better chance of causing problems with science.

No, it's careermode (come to think of it, I haven't tried the sciencemode), I'm aware that in sandbox everything is closed.

Not at home atm, as usual all sorts of things have come up again in real life ( 5 minutes after my previous post the phone rang ...), so I haven't done any troubleshooting this weekend.

I was planning on trying to remove mods one by one (or adding) and then see when the problem occurs (narrow it down for you guys, and also as required according to the how-to-get-support-thread). I'll try your suggestion first

I'll post my findings as soon as I get around to kerballing ...erm ... 'testing' again (thuesday at the earliest).

Lol, at this rate, version .25 has come out before I figure everything out ;-)

Anyway, learning new stuff, so all is good.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look!

:-) it even rhymes!

• 3 weeks later...

I had suddenly had this same problem.

I was playing in career and did well, however suddenly the game would not allow me to log any experiments or reports a all.

I tried reinstalling with all the mods I had, no luck.

I removed ScienceAlert as suggested by The Shadow1138, no luck.

I then removed the mod I though might affect the science in KSP, hey presto, I got the science buttons back.

I then reinstalled the removed mods to see which one was acting up and I found it;

Better Science Labs

I did have the newest version, so I do not know if my problems first arrived after updating BSL, as I do seem to remember BSL recently got an update.

Long story short, Better Science Labs was the culprit, for me at least.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.