Trans-Kerbin Railway?

You Might Want to Check Out LackLusterlabs,Theres KSC++ there and there is a train,you cant hop on it though,you can watch it go by,and dont want to get it in the way of your ships though. and also,it might take a while for the train to depart from the station,i dont know,you can move the vehicle away to watch it depart though. Hope this helps :)

I would like to suggest that a Trans-Kerbin railway be added. Having trains and a big, huge railroad stretching from KSC to the otherside of Kerbin would be very interesting, considering that it would pass through the ignored and beautiful scenery of Kerbin.

Unfortunately this is not possible. First off the file for this railway will be ENORMOUS! Around 20Mb minimum simply due to the terrain not being flat, and texture + models. And that brings us to the other point. There would be 2 ways to implement this in Kerbtown:

1. Make one giant model for the whole train track, this method would cause texture ripping due to the size this model would have to be, on top of this, such a model would take AGES to design and test, and in the end it would be useless anyway due to texture ripping.

2. Split the model into many separate pieces. This one would be. Much more practical than #1 but still be nearly impossible to design and test. On top of this, such a runway would be purely cosmetic and add. Rey little to Kerbin in general. Not many people would be willing to spend thier time on such a project. But hey, prove me wrong, I'd be glad to have a non performance dropping trans-Kerbin-railway! Oh and it takes a lot of data to make moving train animations with collision boxes over long enough periods of time to allow them to get from one side of the tracks to another!

Edited by Spacepetscompany

• 9 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.