Rotate a kerbal : Pitch Rotation on EVA

You just have to switch camera modes (I think to "free"), then the Kerbal will change his pitch to match your view.

Really?! Oh man.. and here I've been aiming Kerbal's at ladders/handholds at an angle, turning off the jetpack shortly before impact, and hoping that when he bumps his helmet that he'd rotate around in order to grab said ladder..

You can rotate a kerbal by dragging with left mouse button. Click on the Kerbal in jetpack mode and drag up/down.

Free/Orbital camera provide you two perpendicular directions which the Kerbal will consider up/down and reset to after pressing Space.

This was all said back in February, the last time the subject came up.

Neither of which seems to work for me.

So no change then.

So when you switch to 'Camera: FREE', then rotate the camera so you're looking, say, directly down at the Kerbal from above him, then press 'W', he doesn't reorient himself, he just keeps his relative orientation and moves forward?

I believe you can rotate the kerbals using the mouse. The problem is that they hit "the gimbals" and only pitch so far. I find myself doing similar things (such as changing the orientation of the ship pre-EVA) or fiddling with the view to keep from crashing helmet first into the ship's hatch. I haven't really found an elegant solution myself, but I haven't been doing a lot of EVAs lately either...

~Claw

Neither of which seems to work for me.

That suggests you're doing something wrong and perhaps it would help if you provided more details. Existing ways of navigation may not be completely comfortable but their combination allows you to rotate the Kerbal in any 3D direction.

Edited by Kasuha

You can rotate a kerbal by dragging with left mouse button. Click on the Kerbal in jetpack mode and drag up/down.

Thanks for the tip, but my attempts at landing a front or backflip on the mun have been...unsucessful thus far. cannot figure out a way to rotate faster. more testing required.

Ok for 'Clarity'

The ability to rotate kerbals (pitch) on EVA has has always had problems. I pointed out that the subject had come up in February to let everyone know that it had been discussed previously.

Using the mouse, changing camera view etc was discussed. It worked for some. Not for others.

It would be nice, I'm sure ALL would agree, if the kerbal could be rotated like a ship with SAS or RCS properly fitted.

It was not working back in February which is probably why it was discussed..

So I assume as no one said, 'Oh... that's been fixed!' it's still broken now.

I will continue to wait patiently for the update when this little problem has been rectified.

Thanks for your input.

It's not broken. It just does not work the way you'd like it to work.

I know... I'm terrible.

I keep wanting things to behave logically and sensibly. Perhaps I should never have got into the sciences at all.

There is always someone in the room who says, "What? You got the cake? and you want to do *what* with it? Preposterous!"

Well, there's a difference between "broken" and "poorly implemented". Feel free to make suggestions as to how it can be improved (in the appropriate forum section, of course)... presuming you haven't already; I know I miss a fair bit of stuff that goes on sometimes. Busy lives, and all.

Ok, I've now played around with a Kerbal on EVA, and yes, it's possible to rotate it on all axes.

HOWEVER, there is no one single camera view in which this is possible while also maneuvering the Kerbal.

1) Pressing <space> or maneuvering a Kerbal causes it to align itself to the current frame of reference (*).

2) Dragging a Kerbal with the LMB does rotate it whichever way you want, but see (1).

3) Switching camera views switches the frame of reference (some are vertical wrt parent body, others are horizontal).

It would be nice to have a camera view (eg, "Free") in which there is no frame of reference. That is, whichever way a Kerbal is facing determines "up" and "forward". In this mode, <space> would do nothing, and maneuvering simply fires the relevant rotation/translation thrusters on its backpack.

IMHO, Kerbal EVA should be the same as ships on RCS - have rotation + translation controls, and a mini-SAS to automatically arrest any tumbles. There's not really any need to have a frame of reference.

(*)By frame of reference in this context I mean pre-determined "up" and "forward" vectors.

EDIT: Sorry, it's only the "up" vector which is determined; "forward" is freely rotatable.

EDIT2: I've started a Suggestion Thread.

Edited by micha

Well this thread is now looking a lot like the last discussion where no one really knows anything but everyone has an opinion.

I understand that I must seem like a bit of a noob because of my low post count.

I haven't made thousands of posts to the forum because I have spent thousands of hours (lit) actually playing the game. Vanilla and Heavily Modded

I rarely post unless I have something relevant to say. I listen until I have something worthwhile to contribute. I understand that many do not operate in the same way.

Some people would rather focus on phraseology and make every effort to show that they are smart and that their lives are worthwhile and of course you *are* smart and your life *is* worthwhile.

I have the information that I reasonably asked about in my first post.

I have no further use for this thread. Please feel free to lock it or delete it. I have no need to return to it so any further comments will be missed.

Regards.

I rarely post unless I have something relevant to say.

Honestly, if you have something relevant to say, then say (or write) it. The only thing you wrote so far in this thread is "it doesn't work for me". And then you complain how unhelpful we are. If you want specific help, be specific with describing your problems.

It would be nice to have a camera view (eg, "Free") in which there is no frame of reference.

Yes, we're definitely missing a "Free EVA" mode. But to not totally lose control, I believe the Chase camera mode should be used for that, using the Kerbal as frame of reference. Then you can have complete control like with a spaceship without getting completely lost.

I rarely post unless I have something relevant to say. I listen until I have something worthwhile to contribute.

It's unfortunate that you consider the offerings of alternatives around your questions as worthless. I suppose if all you were looking for was...

Any news on fixing being able to rotate a kerbal on the pitch axis on EVA?

Then (as you've defined "fixed") no.

Please feel free to lock it or delete it.

Ask and ye shall receive. Further discussions can take place on Micha's suggestion thread.

Cheers,

~Claw