Duration orbital orientation and staged release of available science

sreinmann

Just cause I haven't seen documentation doesn't mean that it hasn't been tried before, so I'll ask...

I have a couple satellite parts in development based on existing/historical Earth satellites. Rather than flying it into LKO and HKO hitting the [get science] button and gaining instant results, I'd like to be sure that the mission has achieved certain results. Namely: orbital parameters (PE/AP/Eccentricity/Inclination), duration (to simulate the slow - or rather steady - gathering of science through observations. Further, I'd like to be able to simulate how, once an initial experiment is finished, the instrumentation is "tasked" to look for something different yielding another score of science data (again provided that it achieved results in the first experiment and then met the new duration and possibly new orbit).

So, can the orientation and duration be set in the Part.cfg? or do I need a much more complicated system?

You would need a plugin for that.

E: Suppose I should note that that it really wouldn't be that complicated of a plugin, insofar as I can see. Part plugins are really simple and all you're really going to be doing is making a module that can be right-clicked under certain conditions. Simple. About the only thing that might give someone pause would be duration in a certain orbit, but you could fudge that from MET.

Edited by regex

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.