0.25 Reverts resolution settings and crashes when changing them

Upon updating to 0.25 (win 7 64 bit, 32bit launcher, clean update, fresh download, no mods) it reverted the screen resolution to 1024x768 in windowed mode (was previously 1920x1080, fullscreen).

after changing back to former fullscreen resolution, the game started crashing on startup after loading, midgame or when changing back to the spacecenter screen (from any of the other buildings or inflight).

The crashes been direct crash to desktop, no crashlogs.

Anyone got any pointers?

Edited by Aeon-Phoenix
clarification

I had the same problems with 0.25 in fullscreen mode. Always crashed when attempting to change resolutions and always without log.

I'm using windowed mode now (sometimes regular window, sometimes borderless).

The game normally runs fine, it's just that sometimes I have to start it 2 or 3 times because it immediately crashes to the desktop, again always without log. It's not dramatic because it happens just a few seconds after starting, it usually doesn't crash once it's running.

So yeah, try to run it in windowed mode. If you want it to use your whole screen, I'd recommend to use borderless window mode.

Add the -popupwindow tag or simply use the KSP launcher (called Launcher, located next to KSP.exe and KSP64.exe).

• In Steam you can do this in the launch options for KSP (right-click - properties - launch options).
  • Without Steam go ahead and create a shortcut for KSP.exe and add -popupwindow to the target field (where it shows the path for KSP.exe), don't forget to have a space in between the path and -popupwindow.
  • Or simply use the launcher and change it in the Advanced options tag.

Don't forget that you'll have to change the resolution in order to change window size. Luckily it doesn't crash if I change resolution while being in windowed mode.

Edited by slumpie

I've always played KSP in windowed mode since .13, and never modded it. Before .25, has been playable but with predictable crashes to desktop when switching back to the VAB or hitting the RECOVER tab. First time playing .25, it automatically shrunk the window size but worked well and seemed to have eliminated the crashes somehow! Tried playing it today, and now it crashes constantly when loading the same saved career. Can't even get the actual game to start. Older system I know, but has been working pretty well until this version. (4gigs ram, nvidia GTX550 TI video card, core2duo e6750 2.67 ghz, 32 bit OS). Does the .25 update add to the Ram use that significantly, or will this be addressed in upcoming patch(es)? Experiencing serious KWS (Kerbal Withdrawal Syndrome) BTW, I'm playing/updating through STEAM.

Edited by tang4ever

You can also try dropping down the Texture Quality (KSP settings in the main menu) by one notch. v0.25 uses more memory than in the past, and sometimes this causes a crash on scene change (when the game is grabbing lots of memory).

Cheers,

~Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.