OS X - KSP mysterious stopping: OP UPDATE ---> It all about Yosemite, not KSP.

UPDATE: I have finally given up on Yosemite. Reverted via Time Machine to my october state with Mavericks. Now the computer (iMac late 2011 full spec 27") appears to be back to flawless operation. Restoration of current files in progress.

KSP .25 is back and running just perfect.

I shall await 10.10.2,3,4,5 until upgrading again.

yes I could have tried a clean install, but frankly I just don't have the time.

So this thread is now able to the closed.

==================================

There is no rhyme nor reason for me to assign to this recurring error. Different ships, different scenes. It crashes randomly. I have no screenshots as I do not subscribe to performing a screen capture every 3 seconds during what should be normal game play.

yes, I've read the support and bug reporting threads for general and OS X.

Currently running the latest Yosemite, but generally feel that might NOT be considered a factor, since this behaviour has plagued me for the longest time even prior to upgrading It's just that I've finally decided to open a media file account and track down all the requested files.

Have played with mods and without. This particular instance is without.

I also get the multicoloured flashing graphics rendering issue on occasion (We need to come up with a name for that amongst us OS X folks - how about " Space Disco"?)

FYI - I play on a post 2011 iMac and also a Macbook - this particular error is being reported on the Macbook.

Files linked below. Thanks for the help if it comes along!

Cheers,

w.

https://www./folder/i6l4ddm3aijvf/Bug_reporting

PS) Has anyone suggested an embedded bug reporting system yet? That would greatly simplify the process and help ensure consistency.

-------------------------------------

UPDATE (AKA "The Story so far" or "When we last left our hero" Edition...)

Key steps we have taken (Special shout out to Master Tao (Wallygator bows with respect and thanks))

1) Fresh re-install of OS X Yo!!! see my tea?

2) Fresh download and install of KSP (Not via loader or patcher)

3) Fresh download of Texture Reduction Mod

4) Opening of Activity Monitor prior to launching KSP

5) Running KSP as Stock Only and with Texture Reduction Only

6) Monitoring memory footprint in various KSP launching configurations

You may now advance to the end of the thread.

Edited by Wallygator
Moar Info. Final Update.

Sounds like you actually read the Stock Support & Bug Reporting guide. Thanks. :)

No need to provide screenshots unless they illustrate the problem. You could do that with the psychedelic/clown colors bug, though it's not specific to Macs. My best guess is that's a symptom of pushing the graphics processor too far – it's either overheating or running out of memory.

For your crashes, the output log (Player.log) makes it completely clear. You're running out of memory. You can reduce texture quality in the Graphics settings, install Active Texture Management, or avoid texture-heavy mods. There are two limits you need to have KSP under: roughly 3.5 GB maximum, but also less than you currently have available on your system.

The embedded bug report system sounds like a good idea, especially for Beta. Why not suggest it?

OK, Loaded texture replacer (basic). Same basic behaviour, this crash here occurred when pressing the Z for throttle up on an Ion Probe near Lathe.

http://www./folder/i6l4ddm3aijvf

Take a look. I will try again with reduced texture settings...

(Seems crazy, I have 16G Ram installed, KSP needs and can only use 4. Is it then true that a high end IMac can't run KSP in high mode?

Thanks!

W.

Linux x64 is the only way to take full advantage of your 16GB of ram, for now. Windows x32 and OSX have the ram limit and Windows x64 isn't worth the hassle. With OSX, you can only run KSP in high mode with a vaporizer.

..... With OSX, you can only run KSP in high mode with a vaporizer.

Apologies if this is common knowledge to everyone else following this thread but...

I'm "vaporizer knowledge ignorant"... could Skeevy or someone please elaborate just enough so I can get relevant Internet search engine results to self educate?

Cheers,

Thomas

Linux x64 is the only way to take full advantage of your 16GB of ram, for now. Windows x32 and OSX have the ram limit and Windows x64 isn't worth the hassle. With OSX, you can only run KSP in high mode with a vaporizer.

AH, had to think about that one for a second. Nice one.

To be clear, Im not concerned about 16G ram. Only to get the regular version of KSP with no mods working reliably within its normal 4gb confinement on my OS X.

I've been getting the same(?) random hangs on 0.25 with Yosemite.

Playing stock/vanilla, the last entires in my ksp.log before I get the beachball of death and have to Force Quit are:

[ ... normal gameplay ...]

[WRN 14:34:32.742] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From FLIGHT to EDITOR =====================

[EXC 14:34:32.872] OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory

LibNoise.Unity.Generator.VoronoiCached.ConstructCubeArray ()

LibNoise.Unity.Generator.VoronoiCached..ctor (Double frequency, Double displacement, Int32 seed, Boolean distance)

PQSMod_VoronoiCraters.OnSetup ()

PQS.Mod_OnSetup ()

PQS.SetupMods ()

PQS.StartSphere (Boolean force)

PQS+.MoveNext ()

[ERR 14:34:32.899] No Texture memory available to upload

[ERR 14:34:32.899] No Texture memory available to upload

[ERR 14:34:32.900] No Texture memory available to upload

[ERR 14:34:32.901] No Texture memory available to upload

[ERR 14:34:32.913] No Texture memory available to upload

[ERR 14:34:32.913] No Texture memory available to upload

[ERR 14:34:32.924] No Texture memory available to upload

[ERR 14:34:32.927] No Texture memory available to upload

[ERR 14:34:32.928] No Texture memory available to upload

[ERR 14:34:32.928] No Texture memory available to upload

System Information:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac14,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM142.0118.B07

SMC Version (system): 2.15f7

Start of ksp.log:

Kerbal Space Program - 0.25.0.642 (OSXPlayer)

CPU: Intel® Core i7-4771 CPU @ 3.50GHz (8)

RAM: 8192

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M OpenGL Engine (2048MB)

SM: 30 (OpenGL 2.1 [2.1 NVIDIA-10.0.43 310.41.05f01])

RT Formats: ARGB32, Depth, ARGBHalf, RGB565, ARGB4444, Default, DefaultHDR, ARGBFloat, RGFloat, RGHalf, RFloat, RHalf, R8

Quick update: It appears that OS X (on my IMac) wants to automatically crash and reboot if I have KSP running for any length of time. Difficult to diagnose.

The MacBook now seems to be running fine.

I'll try a complete new KSP install on the IMac on Wednesday, add in Texture Management as suggested by Master Tao, set all graphics setting to half, and then try again. Stay tuned...

Edited by Wallygator
Schpelling

It now is apparent that OS X is restarting on my iMac regardless of ksp running or not. So... Perhaps 2 separate problems here. Restoring OS X first to address platform issue. Then refocus on ksp after that. Takes a few days to restore via time machine (wtf) so back at it after that. Stay tuned.

By Stopping... do you mean the screen freezes and the beach ball of death spins? you can still cmd-tab out and force quit right?

All of the above. Unpredictable. When its just a game freeze then yes I can force quit.

UPDATE: I was unable to revert to Mavericks (some arcane issue with Time Machine ARGH!) so instead I did a refresh/reinstall of my Yosemite OS (without rewriting the entire drive - that's a last resort). Following the OS reinstall, the iMac appears stable while not running KSP.

I started a KSP session this morning (No mods and no Texture reduction) ran well for about 45 min, then suddenly stopped and the OS X crash dialogue pops up. So same basic behaviour.

I concur with Tao that this is probably a memory issue. If the iMac was overheating then the issue would probably present itself as the OS shutting down or the crazy "Space Disco" graphics aberration.

I will now reinstall texture reduction and see if that helps.

Edited by Wallygator

With ATM (texture reduction) now installed, I can see on the activity monitor that KSP is chewing on 1.29GB of RAM while I'm in the VAB editor.

Is this a "normal" reading?

Also, I notice that the KSP task memory usage as shown in the activity monitor gradually increases over time. After about 1h45m of play my memory usage is up to 1.76GB

If I were a betting man (and I'm not) I would probably suggest a low grade memory stack issue of some type.

If I get the chance, I'll try this same experiment with higher graphics settings and also without texture reduction.

- KSP is now at 1.77GB just while typing this update

- and after wandering downstairs, making lunch, loading the dishwasher and supplying myself with a "fortified" breakfast drink, KSP (hadn't touched it!) is now at 1.80GB

Thoughts anyone? Please discuss.

Edited by Wallygator
moar info.

I think that Activity Monitor only reports the amount of physical RAM that's currently in use by each app, but they use more addressable space (including the swap files). This would mean that as you play, more and more data is moved from swap to physical RAM, so the reported number increases.

It could also be a memory leak like you said. Or both.

I think that Activity Monitor only reports the amount of physical RAM that's currently in use by each app, but they use more addressable space (including the swap files). This would mean that as you play, more and more data is moved from swap to physical RAM, so the reported number increases.

It could also be a memory leak like you said. Or both.

Probably both.

Either way, I'll keep monitoring it and update this thread as time passes.

Thanks Tao for all your Help!

I have had the same problem with the game crashing on Yosemite stock and modded, seems to be no rhyme or reason. The game worked perfectly on mavericks with no issues. Very frustrating, gonna have to boot camp till this issue is resolved.

I have constant crashes in OSX and in Windows 7. Have tried OSX Mavericks and Yosemite. Same issue. I tried two completely different GPU's. Same problem.

In OSX, Console reports a GPU Hang. It lasts for 10 seconds (complete KSP freeze - OS still works fine) and usually KSP recovers. Sometimes KSP crashes completely. It happens the most when landing on planets. I have tried reducing graphics settings which helps, but doesn't fix the problem.

2010 Mac Pro, 6 core 2.93ghz Xeon CPU.

28GB RAM

Radeon 280x GPU.

Extremely frustrating.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.