kerbal geography

JtPB

dont you think that we should give names for all geographic features around the kerbal solar system? lets start at kerbin, the africa-like continent which KSC is in will be called 'scottea', named after scott manly & the desert will be called 'danny desert'... move on with your creativity! :D

I didn't realize that someone could overuse the letter 'K' like what's shown in those maps...
It's been a problem since 2011, though things are slowly improving.

Anyway, geographical features that I'd like:

• The Dark Sea (it's the only good one on that map, and a nice shout-out to before Kerbin rotated)
  • Booster Bay (guess)
  • Sea of Ruins (location doesn't matter, but it should have an anomaly. Or at least be a place where you can easily become stranded.)
  • Lagrange Point (a very tall mountain. If on an airless body, one of those evil ones that sticks above the 5x timewarp level.)

The Fine Print mod names lots of places. I hear it's going to be stock next go-round. So I figure we'll be using its names shortly.

As for myself, I only name a few features, not land masses.

There are the Reentry Mountains just W of KSC, over which you want your flames to be the thickest if you want to land at KSC. Similarly, the mountains near the western edge of the desert are the Deorbit Mountains.

The tall spire of rock in the Reentry Mountains is Old Shinytop, due to thick layers of gleaming aluminum carpeting its summit from the countless failed attempts to land STOL (not VTOL) planes on its very peak. Near the foot of Old Shinytop is Death Valley, a deep, steep basin strewn with the carcasses of countless rovers that failed to cross the mountains there.

The spiky island just SW of Airbase Island is called False Hope because STOL planes always land there first as a test before making yet another doomed attempt on Old Shinytop.

The large island some distance ENE of KSC is called Overshoot, due to the number of gliding shuttles that have had to land there.

On Duna, the equaltorial rift at about 150^ E is Aerobrake Canyon, because for some reason my ships nearly always fly through it when they arrive at Duna.

On Minmus, there's Lowland Mesa on the equator about 16^ E. Despite being the highest ground for miles around, it's the lowlands biome.

On Eve, there's the Island of Lost Souls in the center of the crater about 6^ N, 3^ E.

On Laythe there's Dead Dumbo Island at 22^ N, 130^ E, so named because it looks like the decapitated, somewhat decomposed head of Dumbo the Flying Elephant. And I call the chain of large islands straddling Laythe's International Date Line "the Solomons" after the islands on Earth.

Edited by Geschosskopf

Right, because I live near the Eppalachain Mountains in the United Estates of Emerica, which is on the continent of Enorth Emerica. Right between the Elantic and Ecific oceans. Oh, and don't forget the Erribbean Eea.

If we don't use the letter E for everything on Earth, why do Kerbals use Ks?

Being a lifelong Trekker, I like to think the only thing holding the Kerbals back from Federation membership is the warp capability thing. They've already conquered starvation and have a single government. Get 'em faster than light and the Vulcans will notice the warp signiture and come to see. Where's Geordi and Riker when you need them?

Right, because I live near the Eppalachain Mountains in the United Estates of Emerica, which is on the continent of Enorth Emerica. Right between the Elantic and Ecific oceans. Oh, and don't forget the Erribbean Eea.

If we don't use the letter E for everything on Earth, why do Kerbals use Ks?

I liked the whole K meme we had going on when KSP just came out, it fitted the more comical style KSP used to have (Mostly because serious stuff was impossible/very impractical at that point). Though it died rather quickly after whatshisname EDIT: Nova got angry every time he saw the letter K. :sticktongue:

Edited by NeMeSiS

The Fine Print mod names lots of places. I hear it's going to be stock next go-round. So I figure we'll be using its names shortly.

As for myself, I only name a few features, not land masses.

There are the Reentry Mountains just W of KSC, over which you want your flames to be the thickest if you want to land at KSC. Similarly, the mountains near the western edge of the desert are the Deorbit Mountains.

The tall spire of rock in the Reentry Mountains is Old Shinytop, due to thick layers of gleaming aluminum carpeting its summit from the countless failed attempts to land STOL (not VTOL) planes on its very peak. Near the foot of Old Shinytop is Death Valley, a deep, steep basin strewn with the carcasses of countless rovers that failed to cross the mountains there.

The spiky island just SW of Airbase Island is called False Hope because STOL planes always land there first as a test before making yet another doomed attempt on Old Shinytop.

The large island some distance ENE of KSC is called Overshoot, due to the number of gliding shuttles that have had to land there.

On Duna, the equaltorial rift at about 150^ E is Aerobrake Canyon, because for some reason my ships nearly always fly through it when they arrive at Duna.

On Minmus, there's Lowland Mesa on the equator about 16^ E. Despite being the highest ground for miles around, it's the lowlands biome.

On Eve, there's the Island of Lost Souls in the center of the crater about 6^ N, 3^ E.

On Laythe there's Dead Dumbo Island at 22^ N, 130^ E, so named because it looks like the decapitated, somewhat decomposed head of Dumbo the Flying Elephant. And I call the chain of large islands straddling Laythe's International Date Line "the Solomons" after the islands on Earth.

See I hate names like that....

So um Reentry Mountains, what did they kerbals that lived there thousands of years before spaceflight call them? Did they somehow just know that was the spot to burn for a process they couldn't even imagine?

Same with all these, the names had to have been there before spaceflight, why are they named after spaceflight?

Same for me, except I always use (quotes included) "not Africa" and "not Italy". because I think the landmass looks like a sort of weird mirrored Italy (even if it is geographically in completely the wrong place and way to big) and I don't know what Korea looks like.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.