2nd KRF Formula K Championship

NQMT

I hope that I am not late :)

start at 3:00 and finish at 4:28

lap time = 1:28

Whoa, thats good :)

I've made improvements to my car, but have not submitted an updated time, if I did, we'd be tied :)

Cant wait to race against you in race #2 !

That brings up another question, sorry Kyrian.

Are we able to modify our cars between races?

Edited by zhollett
Additional question

I give up. I just can't get this car around that track in anything like a decent time (read: under two minutes), and all attempts to do so result in rolling the car. It's gotten to the point where I'm not enjoying it anymore, so I'm afraid I won't be continuing with this.

I give up. I just can't get this car around that track in anything like a decent time (read: under two minutes), and all attempts to do so result in rolling the car. It's gotten to the point where I'm not enjoying it anymore, so I'm afraid I won't be continuing with this.

Can you post a picture of your car?

Im pretty sure its going to be something that once you get it, you'll not be frustrated anymore.

RussaX's time is disqualified, screenshots show MET starting at 3:00 and ending at 3:28. A 28 second time is impossible.

Minor car modifications are allowed, however if a major change is needed then you need to release that as a B spec chassis or something.

DaPatman, I can put together a basic car if you need. This car will be in the OP and open to all.

Also, tips for your car design, try lowering the Centre of Mass to as low as you can get, make the rear axle a slight bit wider than the front, have a low ride height and have 1 shift click of negative camber. Meaning the wheels look like this: /-o-\ from the front.

Race Two opening soon as well. Maybe a few hours.

Race One entries will be open until November 27, with the exception of RussaX and DaPatman who have until December 1 to redo their laps.

Edited by Kyrian

Race Two has been opened! There are still two more days available to enter Race One.

hnUR31I.png

A good all-rounder. Rather tricky in some parts, especially the chicane at the far end of the R&D Centre.

Outright Lap Record: CaptainGiblets - 1:25

Formula K Lap Record: CaptainGiblets - 1:25

Formula K Race Record: CaptainGiblets - 1:25

Cars for this should be mostly geared towards cornering, as speed isn't as important here.

.trk file is here. I hope you all enjoy this track.

RACE LEADERBOARD:

1st: CaptainGiblets - 1:25

2nd: GROOV3ST3R - 1:27

3rd: Kyrian - 1:28

4th: burnoutforzai - 1:29

5th: mrmcp1 - 1:46

6th: DaPatman - 2:01

7th:

8th:

Out Of Points:

CURRENT CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS:

1st: CaptainGiblets - 10 points

2nd: GROOV3ST3R - 8 points

3rd: zhollett - 6 points

4th: Starwhip - 5 points

5th: Kyrian- 4 points

6th: mrmcp1 - 3 points

7th: burnoutforzai - 2 points

8th: The_Rocketeer - 1 point

9th: UpsilonAerospace - 0 points

10th: Wanderfound - 0 points

11th: Im The One - 0 points

12th: Agent30632 - 0 points

13th: DaPatman - 0 points

Also, some news to announce: when this race closes, any and all forms of SAS and/or ASAS will be banned.

Edited by Kyrian

Also, tips for your car design, try lowering the Centre of Mass to as low as you can get, make the rear axle a slight bit wider than the front, have a low ride height and have 1 shift click of negative camber. Meaning the wheels look like this: /-o-\ from the front.

Yeah, I started thinking about why it wasn't working when I went to bed last night, and I figured the high centre of mass was a factor. Alright, I might have the DP-04 ready tonight, or at least by tomorrow afternoon.

RussaX's time is disqualified, screenshots show MET starting at 3:00 and ending at 3:28. A 28 second time is impossible.

Minor car modifications are allowed, however if a major change is needed then you need to release that as a B spec chassis or something.

DaPatman, I can put together a basic car if you need. This car will be in the OP and open to all.

Race Two opening soon as well. Maybe a few hours.

Race One entries will be open until November 27, with the exception of RussaX and DaPatman who have until December 1 to redo their laps.

Well I didn't even notice because I made quick save. I took first photo and saved it and then did a race because I can't take 2 screenshoots at the same time because I have to pause the game to save image and that mess me up. Well if it is DSQ then ok, will do it right next time.

... because I have to pause the game to save image ...

If you press F1, it'll save an image to {drive}:\{install folder}\Screenshots\screenshot#.png.

An example of that would be "C:\games\ksp0.25\Screenshots\screenshot0.png"

You can press F1 many times in a row quickly too, hope that helps.

RussaX, all you have to do is:

- F1 button at start of lap

- F1 button at end of lap

- Stop your car, bring your camera out to show your whole route, then F1 button again.

That's what I do, and it works a charm. Try that. :)

Also, I'll be making a basic Formula K chassis to put in the OP. It will have everything except front and rear downforce and RCS port placement. That will be up to you to choose.

Edited by Kyrian

News for all: I will be opening a full-body car championship with open rules, with only a few restrictions. Harder to make and slower, but a different kind of racing.

Note: Formula K will stay open.

There will be one track every three or so weeks, and the aim is the fastest to 10km total distance. A Formula K lap is ~2.5km, so about 4-5 laps worth of driving.

Should be fun.

Also, for our old competitors, a bit of a flashback: back then my best car was pulling 28m/s at max RCS and all. Now I do 43. Crazy!

Edited by Kyrian

You can if you want, I wasn't planning to. I'll link your thread to the OP here.

Edit: Tested my car around the NeoX track. GROOV3ST3R's record: 1:28. My lap: 1:09. Sweet.

Edited by Kyrian

1st try at the new track and I just got 1:30...

Looks like I'm gonna be competitive :D

---------------EDIT--------------------

Also, I'll be making a basic Formula K chassis to put in the OP. It will have everything except front and rear downforce and RCS port placement. That will be up to you to choose.

Eww no don't do that. The whole point of this is to create the car and evolve it.

Edited by burnoutforzai

Look who decided to show up!

GROOV3ST3R, please note that the rules have changed banning excessive amounts of cubic struts. If you pop a new car together, I will allow you to enter Race One before December 1, and Race Two from now until closure.

Good luck, friendo!

Ah crap xD

Yeah I was the person who started the whole Cubic Revolution, cars we built were full size racers with incredibly stiff and light chassis and almost no drag at all. Basically an in-game exploit.

I dug up my old design, tweaked and come up with a new one now. But it's got even MORE struts than before 0.0On that basis, Ill have to do some serious design work - 10 struts is barely enough to attach my front wings, never mind the rest of the car. But I have a new ace up my sleeve :3

I want to clarify the wing rule - we are allowed 10, count them, TEN small control surfaces as wings? In version 25 are we only allowed the mk4 or can we use other control surfaces? Im asking because if I don't have to be constrained to mk4, I might be able to maximise downforce. Runway testing got me to about 39m/s with boost but there's always room for improvement.

EDIT:

Would I be allowed to keep my struts if I convert most of them for aesthetics and only use up to 10 for structural purposes?

Edited by GROOV3ST3R

I'd much prefer the main structure to be a 1x1 plate and a small I-beam, then build off that. I'll see what you've built first though.

And yeah, 10 surfaces. I use the <0.24 Small Control Surfaces which are conveniently legal :P they look and fit a lot better and do the same job.

Well, my wheels, wings and rcs is based on struts. I couldn't get the vehicle looking the way it does without them and it would greatly upset weight and balance.

This is it:

Boxx Cart EVO

7VgvKD.png

BghKeb.png

As you can see, it's a lot sleeker than the previous model :P

What I could do would be to start my roof line from the back where the I beam sticks up. It's there to protect the driver in case of a flip, creating sort of an anti roll bar. The main thing is that my front and back wheels would have to find different mounting points. Might not be that big of an issue though, I'll see what I can do.

Edited by GROOV3ST3R

After trying out several designs, I think I've reached the point where the main thing slowing down my time is my own driving skills, so DP Racing is proud to present the DP-04:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Craft file for the curious.

Sergio's already driven it around the first track in a time of 1:51 (MET 1:40 - 3:31):

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It may not score me any points, but it's under two minutes, and given how long it's taken to get to this point, I'll take that. Race 2 at some point this weekend.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.