Project Alexandria: a history of spaceflight done in Real Solar System

Felbourn

Again, thank you very much for this series. I love it!

One thing that caught my eye is all the beautiful work you've done to the Kennedy Space Center (The Cape) and the Russian cosmodrome. I would be in heaven if I could set up my RSS game just like yours. Do you have a link?

I can help you with the Cosmodrome: Link

Bob, it looked like you had problems fitting the Vostok inside the LP. Did you rescale it? Raidernick's rockets should fit easily. The opening is 10m, iirc,

Yes, everything I do in this series is full scale to real life in RSS. If the Vostok was 30m in real life, it's 30m in my RSS. I'll check out your CFGs.

- - - Updated - - -

That sounds nice. I mean, resupplies and such are completely unreasonable for PA, yet PA might gloss over a lot of nice stuff and only show the big launches... and at the same time that might leave a lot of interesting tidbits out. I am referring, of course, to the nicest parts of successfully averted station disasters on the part of the Soviets...

Still a miniseries showing ISS construction might span a lot of episodes. And you have "short of" already built ISS. So... good thing MIR comes first?

Rune. And even better that Salyut comes first-er, that is PA material for sure, lots of firsts.

Each Salyut was a single launch, right? I can probably do those in PA. The "visits" can be addressed in PA as well. I think the issue with Mir and ISS is people may either forget what has already happened between episodes, or I will need to skip things. It depends on whether anything else interesting happened in the same years. Or, what if 4 things were launched JUST for the Mir or ISS in the SAME year. That would be hard to cover it all too, as I am following the one-episode-is-one-year rule now. I'll need to research this a little before I really know. And as for doing ISS before, as you know it was not full scale, not RSS, and not as 100% perfect detail as it could be. My truss was made form Squad square panels for example. If I did it in RSS then I'd need to get every detail correct, right down to style, color, and launch vehicle.

Yes, everything I do in this series is full scale to real life in RSS. If the Vostok was 30m in real life, it's 30m in my RSS.

I was wondering this about Real Solar System: what about the Kerbals, aren't they much shorter than the average human, or are they rescaled too? (they would have very strange proportions compared to us)

Edited by Pipcard

I'll never remember that 10 episodes from now. For all I know it might take me a RL year to get to a making a new Proton. :) I may also use other parts, and new versions of KSP will surely be out. So much might be different by then. Remind me when I get close to the real episode(s). :)

Anyway, latest update:

OmrFh0q.png

I'll never remember that 10 episodes from now. For all I know it might take me a RL year to get to a making a new Proton. :) I may also use other parts, and new versions of KSP will surely be out. So much might be different by then. Remind me when I get close to the real episode(s). :)

Anyway, latest update:

http://i.imgur.com/OmrFh0q.png

Bob I know you have a lot to do and that you have scaled back a lot but now that you have multiple launch points it shouldn't be glazed over that most of the rockets launched into space were utilized, designed, and intended to deliver thermonuclear weapons. The Proton was designed as super heavy ICBM and was test launched in 1965. So although it would be expansive maybe a possible miniseries could be launching the rockets as ICBMS and showing just how devastating they might be. It might be an intresting challenge to launch an ICBM from Russia and try and hit NYC or Washington DC. Useing Kerbal Konstructs and the nukes in BD Armory. IDK if I have seen anything like that in KSP series especially in RSS. Might be worth your consideration.

And as for doing ISS before, as you know it was not full scale, not RSS, and not as 100% perfect detail as it could be. My truss was made form Squad square panels for example. If I did it in RSS then I'd need to get every detail correct, right down to style, color, and launch vehicle.

That's true, but I think a lot of ISS components were launched on the Space Shuttle -- particularly the trusses, if memory serves (and I admit that it might not.) Project Enterprise may prove invaluable in that respect.

Well after watching The Martian, and having already read the book a few months ago, and knowing Andy Weir in real life, I feel almost compelled to divert my attention to something other than Alexandria next. ;)

Well after watching The Martian, and having already read the book a few months ago, and knowing Andy Weir in real life, I feel almost compelled to divert my attention to something other than Alexandria next. ;)

Yes yes yes so much yes!!

Each Salyut was a single launch, right? I can probably do those in PA. The "visits" can be addressed in PA as well. I think the issue with Mir and ISS is people may either forget what has already happened between episodes, or I will need to skip things. It depends on whether anything else interesting happened in the same years. Or, what if 4 things were launched JUST for the Mir or ISS in the SAME year. That would be hard to cover it all too, as I am following the one-episode-is-one-year rule now. I'll need to research this a little before I really know. And as for doing ISS before, as you know it was not full scale, not RSS, and not as 100% perfect detail as it could be. My truss was made form Squad square panels for example. If I did it in RSS then I'd need to get every detail correct, right down to style, color, and launch vehicle.

Yup, Salyuts were launched on Protons, and quite regularly, but note only about half the launches in the Salyut program were civilian launches of DOS modules, there was quite a bit of the military Almaz program that sneaked in as "civilian experiments". The really interesting stuff that happened were the missions to Salyuts, actually, like when Soyuz T-13 docked with the uncooperative, tumbling Salyut 7, or Soyuz T-15, which docked in two stations during the same mission. Because everybody know about the time when the Soviets went "kerbal" and rammed their own station... :P

As to recreating one of the stations in RL... have in mind that ISS ate a lot of real-life launches (upwards of fifty station flights? more? can't remember off the top off my head, but STS missions numbered 130-something), never mind the Protons and Soyuzes. Might be better to stick with Mir for a spinoff series, it's less known these days, and easier to finish in a reasonable time, when the time comes.

Anyway, latest update:

http://i.imgur.com/OmrFh0q.png

I'm eagerly waiting to see you screw with the poor Neil... it was in a X-15 flight were he almost died, wasn't it? Or not... the loss of attitude control was in Gemini, now that I think about it.

Rune. Still, I'm sure interesting stuff happened, so remind us. :)

Felbourn, got in contact with RN, forget my warning. You are using FAR and that is the thing I was missing

I don't use FAR. I try to use as few mods as I can while still getting every feature I want. Stock air is enough for me now, so I dropped FAR. But if I have any issues with any parts, I'll just reprogram the game to fix them. :D

Rune, yea the ISS was a lot. I did every single launch that "meant anything" during Gateway, which was at least 30-40.

Also if you REALLY want to know what it is, either PM me and I'll tell you, or google for 1963 space flight firsts.

Or, wait for Monday and be surprised!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, just thought if you wanted to use something else. Your series, your decision.

Yea there's a fine line between what I am willing to use and what I want to build. Usually I am willing to use very small and highly detailed things like probes because premade models can have a lot of greebling that I like. In the case of a couple planes like X-15 and B-52, part of the fun is making them. :)

Also if you REALLY want to know what it is, either PM me and I'll tell you, or google for 1963 space flight firsts.

Or, wait for Monday and be surprised!

- - - Updated - - -

Yea there's a fine line between what I am willing to use and what I want to build. Usually I am willing to use very small and highly detailed things like probes because premade models can have a lot of greebling that I like. In the case of a couple planes like X-15 and B-52, part of the fun is making them. :)

Ok, i apologize if i crossed the line. My bad.

Next Monday or today?

Today's video was a shortened video of a stream where I used KK to make a new airfield for the next episode of this series. This series resumes next Monday.

Sampa, I appreciate the links. I'm just letting you know how I think about it, and why in this case I won't be using Mike's. My answers are not terse because I'm upset. My answers are terse because I have 100 things to do.

In this instance, I was pointing you to the pics because I figured you had not seen them yet. If you had seen them, you would have known I already did the B-52 & X-15. Therefore you must not have seen them, and I thought I was showing you some cool stuff you had not seen yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.