[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

Can you add an end-cap to the bottom of the adapters, so they will still work if on top of an even smaller stack?

Maybe even change the curvature to finish horizontally, for that purpose?

Right now the lower edge connects at about 45-60 degrees (one is shallower than the other). I can probably adjust this somewhat. But yeah, some auto-caps on these could be cool too.

I think that looks too busy, and has too little color to be clear in the menu. I would prefer the fairing cones' design here.

Also, I never got around to ask you if the four narrow vertical light gray bands (not the thin lines) are intentional or an artifact.

Yep, the grey areas were intentional to make it a little more distinct. I tried replacing the black section with orange, and it just didn't look right to me, hence the stripe. I didn't save a screenshot, but I can probably throw it together again.

I suppose those adapters have cross-feed. However, a thin 3.75m tank would make more sense, structurally speaking... :D

Yeah, at the time of the screenshot, I had crossfeed disabled, but I fixed that. ;)

OK, I replaced the black with the orange again. It's not as bad as I thought the first time, but I also darkened the tip to help for this test too.

I think if we're going to have a cone more like the decoupler cones, I'll probably go ahead and add them as additional cones, rather than break everyone's saves in changing this one. They'll be taller with a different collision mesh, and could carry more fuel.

But I can certainly mess with the texture on this one, since it has it's own little sections in the shared texture that can be recolored without breaking other things.

KSP%202015-02-02%2011-43-38-99.jpg

Considering stock is going with a better aerodynamic system in 1.0 Perhaps you would again consider making a a 7.5 and 10 meter pack for those of us who want to launch absurdly large payloads in a single go?

Still thinking about it. ;) I still think that would end up being a separate pack though. One of the things I'm discovering as I do this, is that people are very choosy about what they want installed and what they don't, and so a large portion of the playerbase seems to prefer smaller mods that just add what they want. Sine a lot of people want 5m but may not want to go larger, it's probably best to separate them and let people choose.

Still thinking about it. ;) I still think that would end up being a separate pack though. One of the things I'm discovering as I do this, is that people are very choosy about what they want installed and what they don't, and so a large portion of the playerbase seems to prefer smaller mods that just add what they want. Sine a lot of people want 5m but may not want to go larger, it's probably best to separate them and let people choose.

That is one of the reasons why I wish Squad would delay 1.0 until after Unity 5 is out. With the new content in 1.0 the 32 bit barrier is that much closer and I can understand that people are starting to really get choosy about the mods they install lest they end up with an install they cant use.

A 64bit Unity 5 KSP that worked right would really help.

As for 7.5 and 10M being a separate pack. I agree. 5m is more than enough for most people. It is just that for folks like me. We want a SpaceY equivalent of the Colonial Transporter launcher. :confused:

That is one of the reasons why I wish Squad would delay 1.0 until after Unity 5 is out. With the new content in 1.0 the 32 bit barrier is that much closer and I can understand that people are starting to really get choosy about the mods they install lest they end up with an install they cant use.

A 64bit Unity 5 KSP that worked right would really help.

As for 7.5 and 10M being a separate pack. I agree. 5m is more than enough for most people. It is just that for folks like me. We want a SpaceY equivalent of the Colonial Transporter launcher. :confused:

Yeah, the memory limit is rapidly approaching. That's one of the things that's also pushed me toward this design philosophy of shared textures in my most recent mods. It makes MRS look like a horrible mish-mash of stuff in comparison though. :)

Right now the lower edge connects at about 45-60 degrees (one is shallower than the other). I can probably adjust this somewhat. But yeah, some auto-caps on these could be cool too.

The fairing adapters have had their curvature adjusted a bit, and now also have auto-shrouds inside the bottoms.

KSP%202015-02-03%2013-41-01-21.jpg

KSP%202015-02-03%2013-46-17-46.jpg

Also have some fueled (and non-decoupling, of course) versions of the fairing cones going. Those were pretty quick to put together since they're mostly just a mashup of existing meshes, though I had to redo most of the cone curvature for reasons I won't go into. :)

KSP%202015-02-03%2015-23-59-88.jpg

KSP%202015-02-03%2015-24-24-08.jpg

KSP%202015-02-03%2015-24-43-45.jpg

KSP%202015-02-03%2015-25-00-71.jpg

Also have some fueled (and non-decoupling, of course) versions of the fairing cones going. Those were pretty quick to put together since they're mostly just a mashup of existing meshes, though I had to redo most of the cone curvature for reasons I won't go into. :)

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202015-02-03%2015-23-59-88.jpg

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202015-02-03%2015-24-24-08.jpg

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202015-02-03%2015-24-43-45.jpg

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202015-02-03%2015-25-00-71.jpg

You should probably mention size in the description body text, as not every SpaceY fan may use CCC too (or be able to see colors).

BTW, with regards to 1.0, HarvestR posted a blog update about cargo bays and aerodynamic shielding.

I'll definitely have to make changes to the petal-bay, and the fairings. For the former, it'll take some internal re-working. For the auto-shroud fairings, I have no idea. It'll depend on what they're doing with the stock shrouds, which they only use for shrouding engines and not payloads.

But in any case, I can't promise I'll have the updates out super fast when 1.0 hits, just because there is some modeling and configuration changing that I won't be able to complete and test until we already have 1.0 in hand.

I typically wait atleast a week before starting a new save with the new version in order to give modders a decent chance to update their works. So it's all good. And gives you lots of time for mah 10m stuffz :D

Yeah, I figure most people do that anyway. ;)

--------------------------

Unrelated topic:

I almost have 0.10 ready. Here's the change-log so far:

0.10 (2015-02-XX) - Aerodynamic Edition
- Added "command station" settings to the probe cores for Remote Tech.
- Added 5m and 3.75m inline fairings with optional size adapters + associated nose cones.
- Added 5m and 3.75m Stack Separators.
- Added taller 5m and 3.75m fueled nose cones, in the style of the fairing nose cones.
- Added Deadly-ReEntry settings for the existing and new nose cones.

After talking to a friend who played around with SpaceY a bit these last few days, and taking another look at my configs, I think I still have had the torque/breaking strength numbers a little low. I compared my settings to what KW uses, and KW has numbers in the range of 10x or 20x what I've been using! Good grief.

Anyway, I'm making a huge strength-pass for this update. If things seem stupidly strong afterward, let me know. But as far as I know, no one complains about KW's settings, and I'm setting mine into similar ballparks, or still a little weaker. But nearly everything in SpaceY is getting a good bump upward, which should help with rapid unplanned disassembly problems when staging, landing, and punching to full throttle.

I just wanted to say how much I love this parts pack. I subscribe to the "mod it till it crashes" philosophy so I have to be very selective about which parts I include in my game. Your 1.25m engine in particular is a real staple for me. I use a cluster of seven of them on the first stage of my 15-ton launch vehicle, and a single one on the upper stage … which coincidentally is pretty much what the real Space X does, though I didn't plan it that way. It just worked out like that since yours is the only 400-ish-kilonewton engine I've been able to find, and that's a niche I happen to need to fill a lot.

Anyway, this is just to say thanks.

I just wanted to say how much I love this parts pack. I subscribe to the "mod it till it crashes" philosophy so I have to be very selective about which parts I include in my game. Your 1.25m engine in particular is a real staple for me. I use a cluster of seven of them on the first stage of my 15-ton launch vehicle, and a single one on the upper stage … which coincidentally is pretty much what the real Space X does, though I didn't plan it that way. It just worked out like that since yours is the only 400-ish-kilonewton engine I've been able to find, and that's a niche I happen to need to fill a lot.

Anyway, this is just to say thanks.

Awesome, thanks! Glad you're enjoying it. It helps a lot to get positive feedback, and to know it's appreciated.

--------------------------

Coincidentally, here's version 0.10! I think I've done enough to let everyone get their hands on the fairings and so on:

0.10 (2015-02-06) - Aerodynamic and Structural Edition
- Added "command station" settings to the probe cores for Remote Tech.
- Added 5m and 3.75m inline fairings with optional size adapters + associated nose cones.
- Added 5m and 3.75m Stack Separators.
- Added taller 5m and 3.75m fueled nose cones, in the style of the fairing nose cones.
- Added Deadly-ReEntry settings for the existing and new nose cones.
- Significantly increased torque/breaking strength of nearly all SpaceY parts.

Would it be OK if I'll delete "Fairings" folder? Would any other part be affected? (I use Procedural Fairings for all my fairing-related needs, and I delete all other fairings from any mods I install in order to conserve memory.)

The two newest fueled nose cones use a texture from the fairings folder. So what you could do, is go into the fairings folder and delete everything except "SYfairing-Specular.mbm", which is the last file in there when sorting alphabetically. I think that will do what you want.

Out of curiosity I tried this pack and your other ones.

I absolutely love them! :D Great work! I like the art style and they blend well with stock/each other! And the "niche" part (landing leg, OMS/RSC combo, etc.), very handy!

Have some rep and I will be looking forward to what else you think of.

Edit: So I just made a rocket resembling the Falcon Heavy, the first stage boosters can be landed (with some difficulty in the ocean), and capable of lifting 250 t. to KEO (with NEAR) (if the readouts are correct then 300 t. should be possible but wobbly rockets strike then because of the heavy mass in the top). Awesome parts. Will see if I can post a screenshot or two later. ;)

Edited by 4nxs

Out of curiosity I tried this pack and your other ones.

I absolutely love them! :D Great work! I like the art style and they blend well with stock/each other! And the "niche" part (landing leg, OMS/RSC combo, etc.), very handy!

Have some rep and I will be looking forward to what else you think of.

Edit: So I just made a rocket resembling the Falcon Heavy, the first stage boosters can be landed (with some difficulty in the ocean), and capable of lifting 250 t. to KEO (with NEAR) (if the readouts are correct then 300 t. should be possible but wobbly rockets strike then because of the heavy mass in the top). Awesome parts. Will see if I can post a screenshot or two later. ;)

Awesome! Glad you're enjoying it. I'll look forward to the screenshots. I always love seeing what people come up with.

Awesome! Glad you're enjoying it. I'll look forward to the screenshots. I always love seeing what people come up with.

Here it is, the final stage still had 300 m/s left after the circulation burn. Pretty proud of this one!

7EczE5h.jpg?1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.